Weak hamstrings?

SunKissed

Cathlete
Hey everyone and Cathe! I was just wondering why my hamstrings are so much weaker than my quads. I can do 25lbs 12-15 times on the leg extention (single leg) and only like 12lbs for 12reps (single leg) on the lying hamstring curl. Is that normal? I train my legs pretty evenly regularly.

Thanks for your help!!

Hey Bridget! How are you girl? Missed you in July! :)

My hams are a weak spot for me too. I've added in an extra 6 sets of hams to my tricep/shoulder routine on Sunday. I try to vary the exercises, & I always go as heavy as I can for 6 reps only.

Do you have a standing ham curl machine at your gym? I've found that isolating the hams by working one leg at a time has helped a lot. I've founds some pretty cool stability ball exercises too--if you PM me with your email I can scan in the pics & send them to you.

I've been doing this for about 4 years now & have def. seen improvement, although I don't think my hams will ever be as strong as my quads.

Weak hams are often a huge issue for women. I struggle with it too and have gone so far as to do one leg workout focused completely on hams. It can cause major issues/imbalances for runners and I am really starting to feel it. Sigh.

Thanks for your advice! It's strange because I do tons of hamstring work. I have shape in them they won't keep up with my quads. I guess I'll have to just kick it up a notch! I missed you at the roadtrip too Laura. I saw you in some pics though and you look great! I think you are way too hard on yourself!

Aw thanks Bridget, that's very sweet of you. :) Of course I'm about 15 lbs lighter in those pics since you last saw me, but you're right, I'm too hard on myself. As we all are. That's why we're here, right? ;)

Hope you're doing well & your injury's healed!

I've read that for muscular balance and injury prevention, the hamstrings should be about 70% as strong as the quads (so your goal should be to get them stronger, but NOT so they lift the same as the quads).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.