Wanda got her job.

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
Most of you knew I graduated from MT school and was interviewing for jobs. I finally found the job I was looking for. I start training this week on their software. I turned down 3 companies due to the 6-day per week requirments at a 5-hour stretch. This job gives me weekends off, and I can schedule my days better. My body just can't sit for long periods of time. Ouch!

I would love to hear from all of you MTs on board about some of your work experiences.

I must put my exercises on my top-shelf list of things to do in order to make sure I get them done first. Life can easily get in the way of exercise if I don't put it first.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Yipeee Wanda! That is great. Good for you for putting your exercise as a priority. It will definitely help you to do your job better also. Keep us posted on how things are going. You worked sooo hard for this and it is great to "see" you back on the forums. Missed you!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Wanda, glad you found a job you liked. I work 8 hours a day five days a week and have to pull one weekend a month but I work for a hospital. Are you employed with a hospital, doc's office, or a transcription service?

Hi Wanda, Congratulations. What department will you be working in? Or will you be a generalist? I work in microbiology, and like Jane, work 5 8-hour days a week in a hopsital. I work every 3rd weekend, but don't mind, because the weekdays off are nice. Good Luck!

I believe I'm confused... (a usual thing for me)....LOL... Wanda, are you a medical transcriptionist or a medical technician/technologist? I'm a transcriptionist. Robin, you're a technician/technologist right?

Jane and Robin, I will be working as a subcontractor through a transcription service. I will be responsible for my own taxes, but that isn't a problems as I do that kind of work anyway for a corporation. My job as an MT will mainly consist of outpatient surgery in gynecology with some salpingo-oophorectomies, etc., gastroenterology, and lots of orthopedic reports. I really want to work with surgical and operative reports (as that is my specialty), but I thought this job would be great to get my feet wet and my typing up to speed. I type 75 wpm, (still not great), but I am very wet behind the ears when it comes to the transcription; so much to learn about procedures etc. As a subcontractor I won't be strapped into a quota. I just contract each job or account as I feel capable of doing. Much less stress this way. Believe me, I need less stress!

I've been thinking that I need to have notes that are easily accessable to have all the possible things the Docs can say under different headings. You know... like everything that goes under HEENT, and Cardiovascular. (I mention cardiovascular because I spent a lot of time on my test trying to figure out that the doc said "Soft S4. Normal S1, S2" because he said it all as one word. LOL

Do you use templates? If so, did you make your own, or were they furnished?
How do you organize your files, i.e., by doctor, patient, or disease? I have OneNote that was helpful in school, but I'm wondering how to best utilize my files for work.

I appreciate all the helpful hints etc. Thanks. Your jobs sounds fascinating to me. I am excited about having a small part in the medical field. It is a big responsibility to make sure the patient's records are accurate.

Big wave to you Debbie. Finally...I got here. It was a long, rough ride.

Hey Wanda, okay cleared up... LOL... Wanda, I am an acute care transcriptionist. I type H&P's, consults, OP's (I live doing these but they do slow you down a bit), discharge summaries, neurological reports, pulmonary function tests, ER reports, gosh what else, you name it, I type it. We also have every specialty represented at our hospital. I am on-line live with the hospital I work through a VoiceWriter which allows me to hear the doctors and by computer, hooked directly into the hospital system by high-speed cable hookup. When I print, it prints to whatever printer in the hospital I designate, most of these are set up as defaults though so I don't have to think every time where I'm printing.

I use templates that have been set up by our department head for each type of note. Since there are sooo many doctors and so many specialties, macros are not set up for HEENT, Cardiovascular, Gastrointestinal, etc. etc. since each note varies considerably. We do have what we call SNC (standard notation codes) which make life easier. For example words like esophagogastrodudoenoscopy (EGD), all I have to type in is EGD and hit F4 and the whole word prints out. We have thousands of these which really speeds up the process!

Wanda I am PM'ing you some information that may be useful.

BTW - orthopedic operative notes are my favorite.

Good luck!!!

HI Jane,
This is so cool! I didn't know we had so much in common...Cathe and transcription.
I got your PM and I mailed you back. As mentioned, I will check into AOL, especially if you are not compatiable with Yahoo. I am so excited about getting to chat with you. All this time, and I didn't know you were a transcriptionist.....
I have been sort of ding batty every since starting school.:)

>Hey Wanda, okay cleared up... LOL... Wanda, I am an acute
>care transcriptionist. I type H&P's, consults, OP's (I live
>doing these but they do slow you down a bit), discharge
>summaries, neurological reports, pulmonary function tests, ER
>reports, gosh what else, you name it, I type it. We also have
>every specialty represented at our hospital. I am on-line
>live with the hospital I work through a VoiceWriter which
>allows me to hear the doctors and by computer, hooked directly
>into the hospital system by high-speed cable hookup. When I
>print, it prints to whatever printer in the hospital I
>designate, most of these are set up as defaults though so I
>don't have to think every time where I'm printing.
>
>I use templates that have been set up by our department head
>for each type of note. Since there are sooo many doctors and
>so many specialties, macros are not set up for HEENT,
>Cardiovascular, Gastrointestinal, etc. etc. since each note
>varies considerably. We do have what we call SNC (standard
>notation codes) which make life easier. For example words
>like esophagogastrodudoenoscopy (EGD), all I have to type in
>is EGD and hit F4 and the whole word prints out. We have
>thousands of these which really speeds up the process!
>
>Wanda I am PM'ing you some information that may be useful.
>
>BTW - orthopedic operative notes are my favorite.
>
>Good luck!!!

My hat's off to you, Jane. My DH is an MD and I've had to listen to him dictate letters on many a long car trip whilst I drive. I can't understand a word he's saying:eek:! I don't know how you guys can decipher that garbled mess, but I'm sure you're worth far more than you're paid--LOL!

ETA my congratulations to you, Wanda!

Michele

LOL Michele, we have a few of those. Even with the worse of them, amazingly you get use to hearing them and how they pronunciate, even the foreign doctors, so it gets easier once you get use to them. I really hate it though when we get a new doctor who obviously "failed" dictating class!!!:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.