Walking a marathon???

multisportgirl

Well, I've been told by many doctors that my long distance running days are over. I have been cleared to walk though. There's a beautiful trail marathon, that my daughter and I want to do together. Has anyone ever walked a marathon??? I must admit that the idea of walk 6-8 hours is a lit intimidating for me:eek:. Maybe it's because I'm still in a runner's mindset?? I don't know......
Anyone got a story to share??

Thanks!!
Amyfit

One of the girls I know walked a marathon. She did it with Team In Training and really enjoyed the experience. A trail marathon sounds like a great one to walk. Just make sure that any time limits are doable. And remember that by adding distance, you will be going slower. It's just the way it goes. Training is similar - it's get out there a walk and once a week do a distance walk, adding distance until you are up to at least 20 miles. I'm sure there are websites out there with training schedules for walking a marathon.

Good luck! I think there is nothing that teaches you more about yourself and what you truly can accomplish than endurance events. And the feeling of accomplishment that comes with crossing that finish line is amazing!!

I have run one and walked one. I ran one in 2002, and I walked the Portland Marathon in 2005 with my mother. I was about to turn 40, and she was about to turn 62. It was her idea, and she chose Portland because it is quite walker-friendly, and the course is open for 8 hours, which is plenty of time for walkers to finish.

I'm sure we found an online training guide. Walking one is quite different, IMHO, from running one. For one thing, it's a lot harder on your feet -- one, because you are on them so much longer, and two, because they just move in your shoes and interact with the road on each footstrike differently than when you are running. In our early training, we both had LOTS of blisters. I swear by Sportslick (www.sportslick.com) as the best lubricant, but I know there are other good ones out there. It also takes more water and fuel because of the time it takes, but, since we were walking, I found I could actually eat a PowerBar or something during the event, rather than just Gu, which is what I used when I ran a marathon.

It was a little challenging psychologically when I reached the point in time where I had finished the marathon that I ran, but I still had hours to go walking.

I don't think it should be underestimated just because you are walking and not running -- it's still very challenging. And the training can get long and little tedious. I remember walking for hours in my neighborhood with my Camelbak on -- I felt like a real goob. :confused: My mom did get really tired in the last couple of miles, but I kept pushing her -- I didn't want to leave her behind. We finished in under 7 hours, which was our goal.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience. I agree 100% with andtckrtoo that there is nothing so empowering as completing an endurance event! Good luck!

In our early training, we both had LOTS of blisters. I swear by Sportslick (www.sportslick.com) as the best lubricant, but I know there are other good ones out there.
Hydropel, sport shield (roll-on) and blister shiled (powder) are other blister preventatives (as well as plain old petroleum jelly, or "un-petroleum jelly,' which doesn't contain petroleum products).

The right socks can also prevent blisters. I now swear by Balega socks (I used to use Thorlo, but still had blister problems on long walks, but no problems at all with Balega).

Two more things: since this is a trail, I'd highly recommend getting hiking boots, which have a firmer sole to make walking on rough terrain easier on the feet. Be sure to break them in well before doing the marathon.

I just saw a Prevention walking publication on display in stores that contains a marathon walking preparation program.

Last edited:
Hydropel, sport shield (roll-on) and blister shiled (powder) are other blister preventatives (as well as plain old petroleum jelly, or "un-petroleum jelly,' which doesn't contain petroleum products).

The right socks can also prevent blisters. I now swear by Balega socks (I used to use Thorlo, but still had blister problems on long walks, but no problems at all with Balega).

I don't use petro products, what "jelly" have you found that doesn't contain any? My guy is a distance runner who is being converted to "my" way! LOL!!
MJ

Ha, does 60 miles in 3-days count? Come on out and join me and walk for an awesome cause at the same time! I'm having a blast and meeting all kinds of wonderful ladies and men who are walking the Susan G Komen 3-day. Avon has a 2-Day breast cancer walk, MS has a walk, Alzheimers has a Memory Walk, so many ways to walk for a cause...

I just walked 15 miles on Saturday with synthetic socks from nike in my Asics Enduro 4 Trailrunners with no blisters at all. The best thing is to get evaluated for walking - just like you did for running once upon a time. There are some good independent running shops that are used to evaluating you for walking, too.

Oh, one more thing, STRETCH!!! Often...

I thought my hips were suddenly made of glass and they were shattering! One of the very nicest training walk leaders pointed out that it was my piriformis that was tight, showed me the correct way to do pigeon pose and seated forward bends and my hips are great. But I do find myself stretching every 4/5 miles. It helps a lot.

I walked a marathon through the centre of London to raise money for the WWF back in my mid-twenties. I'm a real fast walker, I was the first female to finish and didn't have any difficulty at all. I didn't stop to eat along the way, just to drink, didn't need more than that. It didn't take 6 hours, I didn't train for it, at the time I was doing a lot of swimming, about 1 mile per day 5 times per week, so I was fit but not trained for the event but I didn't need it obviously. I just wore ordinary, every day running sneakers, no special socks, didn't have nasty chafing or blisters. What I do remember is that after I had a bath in the evening, I made the mistake of watching TV while seated cross legged on the floor. Afterwards, I could barely stand up, I was sore!

With all your history of training as a runner, you should do just fine. For a trail, you may or may not need hiking boots as such. Trail running shoes might be sufficient, especially because you will not be load carrying (hiking boots are recommended on or off trail if you are load carrying, i.e. with heavy back pack over 20 pounds), or 'low top' trail shoes made by Merrell could be perfect. Merrells are excellent for hiking and trail walking. No break in time required, comfy right out of the box, made of fabrics that do not weigh a ton. You can choose whether to get the more expensive ones with Gore tex or not for waterproofing. What you choose to wear on your feet might depend upon the reason your doctor has said you can no longer run: what kind of injury have you had? What kind of support do you need?

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.