Vitamins

boydjess

Cathlete
I am a little bit confused about the need for taking a multi-vitamin. I take a energy/nutritional drink each day before I work out and it has at least 100% of most vitamins. I also take a EFA supplement and supplement with a protein shake. Do I still need to take a multi-vitamin every day? I do not want to over do it.

Thanks,
Jessica

Jessica,
If your nutritional drink already contains most vitamins and minerals, then it would already be a sort of "multi-vitamin." You might want to supplement with some vitamins that the drink might be low on, but I wouldn't recommend a regular multi on top of the drink, as you would risk overdoing some vitamins (a problem especially with fat-soluble vitamins like A and D).

I just wanted to say some vitamins are more toxic in mega doses than others, that will run right through you. I have too much Iron in my system so my Dr recommends no iron in my supplements. I never realized how many supplements have extra Iron in them. I was also told to take calcium supplements at least 1 hour before a multiple vitamin, not at the same time. I thought I should not take vitamin C with it but was told it helps the desolution. They also said not to take more than 500 mg. calcium at one time, as the rest is a waste. If I was drinking a nutritional drink I would probably be careful to watch whatever else I took during the day. BTW to see how well your supplement will dissolve put it in a couple of Tablespoons of vinegar. It should dissolve in 45 minutes or less. Otherwise your stomach acids are not apt to help it disolve. At least this is what I heard. My daughter who is in med school bought this up when they were discussing vitamins. They were talking about Centrum being a waste as it does not dissolve.
Diane Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.