vitamin brands

fitmommy

I have been keeping track of my food intake on fitday and found out that I probably need a multi vitamin, even though I am eating a very "clean" diet. On days that I drink a soy shake, which includes many vitamins and minerals, I do fine. But on the days that I don't, I often find mylsef low on vitamin E, calcium, vitamin K, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, and selenium (according to the fitday website).

My question is which brand is the best? I know there are a lot of factors to consider, such as how quickly they disolve and the actual type of vitamin, for example calcium is sometime offered as calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, tricalcium phosphate,etc...

I went to the healthfood store and was completely overwhelmed by the choices, the price ranges, etc...

I have tried TwinLab and Source of Life in the past which are "supposed" to be good, but quite frankly I don't have a clue.

Hi Fitmommy: There are so many varying opinions about this subject, but I'll just share what I feel to be true based on my experience. I buy brands that use only natural sources for vitamins and minerals because it makes sense that the body can utilise natural ingredients more readily. I also don't believe in just popping a multi-vitamin and thinking the job's done, because absorption of nutrients depends on your stomach's ability to extract them. I've read that multi's are often too much to handle and the body will eliminate what it can't deal with, wasting much of what you paid for. Calcium is especially tricky because they sell it really cheaply in forms that are very hard to utilise, and it won't get completely absorbed if you take it with certain acidic things. I've often wondered about the calcium-fortified orange juice gimmick. Calcium Carbonate is often oyster shell--cheap, but can you imagine eating ground up oyster shell when the oyster stores all of the toxins from its environment there? Anyway, I'm no expert, but if I were you, I'd get a few books from the library before spending a bunch of money. I like Twin Lab, Rainbow Light, Schiff, Natrol. Another thing to think about would be joining a buying club that focusses on natural foods; I am able to get all my supplements at close to wholesale. Sorry to ramble. Good Luck.

--Ann

Hi Fitmommy,

I agree with Ann and her advice and the brands she mentioned. I am working with a clinical nutritionist right now and she has suggested I take Natrol My Favorite Multiple (original formula tablets). She has had very good experience with them and I have found them to be very good also. Make sure you take the appropriate amount listed on the bottle of whatever you choose to buy. For example with the ones I take you have to take 2 twice a day. So just check the label for the appropriate dose.

Two really good low cost websites I use to purchase supplements are: www.vitacost.com and www.vitaglo.com . Both have the supplements close to 50% off the health food store prices. Vitaglo has free shipping and Vitacost has only $5.00 no matter how much you order. Neither site carries a full line but they have decent selections. There are other sites as well that offer much better deals then the local health food stores can.

Good luck,

Alison :)

Call me crazy, but......I take a Flinstone's Complete chewable along with tropical flavored Tums for my vitamin/calcium supplement. If Flintstone's are safe enough for kids then they're safe enough for me! Plus, comparing labels there's not much they dont contain. As for Tums, it's one of the most if not the physician recommended calcium supplements out there, even dialysis patients who need extra calcium often take calcium carbonate. Besides those reasons, I hate swallowing big pills that leave a bad after taste, plus with the great tasting flavors of Flintstones and the tropical flavored Tums, it makes remembering to take them easier and it counteracts my sweet tooth! I guess I'm a kid at heart in some ways, lol.

:) Stacy

I was taking Tums tropicals for awhile for the calcium, and then someone told me they have a lot of lead in them--which scared me. Anyone out there know anything about this?

Hi Fitmommy,

I don't claim any expertise in the vitamin supplement arena, but I will say some brands upset my stomach & some don't...also true for my hb. The brand we prefer is Schiff, for that reason...our bodies seem to tolerate them well.
Having said that, you still have to make sure the doses etc. are what you personally need...especially the percentages on the different multis. We use the over 50 or 55 (can't remember which it's called) multi because even though it does not match our ages, it is the combination we prefer.
It's all very personal, like most things!
Ruth :)

please post your question as a new post and see what you get....this is a good thing to know...
i was just about to gobble up a pack of tums then i read your question!

I just buy a multi vitamin at my local Walgreen's that does not have megadoses of any one vitamin. Also, calcium CITRATE is supposed to be best for absorption. I also take a Vitamin B complex, Vitamin E, Selenium and Flaxseed Oil. This particular combination was suggested in a book called "Fighting Fat after Forty" so I am giving it a try. I get them all at Walgreen's.

Hi Fitmommy,
I use Purity's Perfect Multi and I take two pill twice a day. I read about this vitamin in a book called What's Best by Bill Sardi. He studied all of the vitamins and recommended this brand because it had everything you needed in the correct dosages. I just ordered there calcium suppliment.

Bill is not employed by Purity, he just did a study and thought they had the best multi vitamin. If you are intrested go to www.purityproducts.com.

Good Luck,

Terri

Flintstones...

Funny you mention that, because our pediatrician recently advised me to up my 14-year-old to TWO Flintstone's chewables per day. He's now 137 pounds and taller than me. His doctor said that the children's vitamin formulas are wonderfully put together and very bio-absorbable (sp?). He likes Centrum Kids too, and said that his wife buys that or Flintstones and that both he and his wife mooch from their kids' vitamin bottle!

I then mentioned this to my OB-GYN and she said sure, two kids' chewies would be fine, just to add a calcium-magnesium supplement and some evening primrose oil, and during the week before my period some B complex.

So that's my regime now -- two Flintstones chewies, cal-mag supplements and evening primrose oil, plus B complex for one week.

Kathy S.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.