Videos other than Cathe's

kimmy0169

Cathlete
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses other videos in addition to Cathe's videos. I used The Firm's Stong Body this morning and it felt great to mix things up. Because of the all of the great advice that Cathe gives in her videos, I was able to use better form as well as heavier weights.

Can anyone recommend other videos to include in my rotation. I am the type of gal who needs variety.

Thanks.

Well, I have over 100 videos and DVD's, so I definitely do more than Cathe, especially for cardio! I need the variety also...and I think it's a very healthy way to go.

For me, a mixture of Cathe's strength tapes with cardio from other instructors (I can't take the torque and speed in most Cathe step tapes) is a great combination.

After being on a Cathe strength "binge" for several months, I decided to mix it up and alternate Cathe with the Firm. I find that it's a great combo. Something about the Firms use of step ups and hover squats, or SOMETHING, really worked the low end of my squats, and I went back to Cathe being able to lift with more ROM on my squats.

It's hard to give general recommendations, because I don't know if you like dancy (I don't) or if you're looking for cardio or strength or what.

I really like the Firms new Sculpting System, but for the moment, it is only available as a 3 video/DVD set and you have to buy a "sculpting stick" with it.

For kickboxing, I recommend Powerstrike...led by two women with great form. It's a non-dancy, drill-like workout.

Other good instructors are Gin Miller (though she hasn't done much new in Step for a while, there are some "instructor" tapes on her site that are do=along workouts). She does some interesting work with functional strength and stability ball workouts. Her videos are available at ginmiller.com

Mindy Mylrea is someone a lot of advanced exercisers like, but I find her too fast for me. She does very athletic cardio and functional weight training.

I'd recommend visiting videofitness.com and checking out some of the reviews in areas you're interested in.

BLASPHEMY! How dare you ask if we would use tapes other than Cathe?

Ok, just kidding. I don't use anything except Cathe but I know a lot of others have had great success mixing it up.

Hi,

I absolutely love Cathe, but I too cannot take the torque and speed. My knees just do not appreciate that kind of impact. I love combining strength and cardio, as well as step aerobics.

I've sold off most of my non-Cathe workout tapes, I didn't seem to get as much of a workout, compared to the Cathe DVD's.

The only DVD's I replaced (got rid of all TAPES) were my yoga ones. I use these to complement my Cathe workouts, though, not instead of. I have Yoga Zone DVD's and ones from Baron Baptiste.

~Audrey

An update: some of the new Firm tapes are available from a yahoo store (I have purchased from them before and service is pretty fast).
"Complete Aerobics and Weight Training" and "Maximum Cardio Burn" are both available separately for only 9.99 (I don't know HOW this guy gets these DVD's separately, or how he can offer them for such a low price, but I'll take it!). I've just previewed these tapes so far, but they definitely have a "fun" factor to them, and a nice mix of strength and cardio.

I have had great success with the FIRM classics and continue to do them regularly. I don't like the new FIRMs because they're just too easy even when you heavy up. My faves are Vol. 1 and Vol. 3. and Super Sculpting. My husband like Vol. 1 and SS and will do them with me.

These wo's are good and give a strong, lean look.

Juli

Hello, even though I only use Cathe for my cardio and weights now. Karen Voight has one video that is tough, called Energy Sprint and also I started doing yoga, Bryan Kest has some great video's I never realized how good one could feel after doing yoga, give it a try!

Barbie128
God Bless America!;-)

May I recommend Christi Taylor videos. I really enjoy her Hi/Lo workouts. I also enjoy the Powerstrike workouts.
-joy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.