VF and Firm Rotation

lynne

Hi, as I ahve alot of time now to browse these forums due to knee surgery, I am reading more and more about the "Firm Rotation" and "VF". Please excuse the ignorance, but what are these!!!!!!!!! I would love anybody to get back to me and let me know!!!!!!

Hi,
VF refers to a website called videofitness (www.videofitness.com). This site has a very active forum, tons of video reviews, and lots of video information.

Firm Rotation is a workout rotation consisting of tapes by the Firm. I participated in the 90 day rotation Jan-March and had good results. You can obtain the rotation when you order tapes from the Firm's website (www.firmdirect.com) and a slightly different version is available on-line.

Hope this helps.

Hi Felicia

thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what videos you used? I have heard mixed reviews about the Firm and I have one called "cardio burn" which I bought from Collage. I have to say it is probably one of the worst videos I have ever participated in so I am reluctant to purchase any more!!! I will appologise to any body if I have got it wrong, are there two companies called the firm?

Hi Lynne, re: firm rotation

Cardio Burn is from the same firm but I don't consider it one of their better videos. The rotation mentioned is 12 weeks long using different tapes from the Firm's collection.

You end up working out 5-6 days a week and each day of the rotation a video is suggested and an icon for type of video is shown so you can substitute if you do not own it.

The types of videos are:

-classic videos ie: Volumes 1-6.
(50% cardio and 50% weights)
*I personnally hate 1-3 but like the other three.
-slow and heavy tapes
(heavy weights at slow tempo like Firm Strength
in the crosstrainer series)
- fast and light
(very light weights, fast movements ie: aerobic)
- Cardio tapes like your Cardio Burn

**the firm also produces may parts tapes so they also scheadule in the rotation and put icons for working different body parts, ie: upper body, abdominals and lower body either standing work or lying down isolation tapes.

and example of a week would be:
Monday 50/50 tape Ab segment from part tape
Tuesday cardio tape Ab segment
Wednesday slow and heavy tape Ab segment
Thursday light and fast
Friday upper body, lie down leg tape & abs (3 parts tapes)
Sat or Sun : Cardio & abs

* I'm only making this wee up but you get the idea. It does work and gets progressively harder as the weeks go by. You can easily substitute many of the tapes with Cathe tapes. The idea is to hit the muscles hard and progressively harder for a 12 week period. Hence the firm challenge.

Hope this clears it up for you. If you check out the Firm's site www.firmdirect.com and look under videos by category it will explain the icons and the videos they correspond to. If you check under video rotation it will show you 2 weeks worth of the rotation.

Hope this helps.
M-A:eek:)

Hi lynne!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-00 AT 05:47PM (EST)</font></center>

I did the Firm rotation Jan-March and had some great results as well as a good deal of fun. If you tell me a little bit about your fitness level and what kind of tapes you do now, I could probably recommend some of the better Firms to start with. The Firm produces some of the best and worst in existence. . . There are very few so-so Firms, they're either really good or really not!! An alternative to doing the official Firm rotation is to use the Firm for weight training (they're at their best in that area) and use other cardio. I really like doing Cathe and CIA and Tae Bo for my cardio alternated with slow and heavy Firms for my weight training.

Cardio Burn is not their best

Lynne, bad luck getting Cardio Burn as an intro to the Firm. Like one of the others wrote, they have some great & some bad videos. The form used by Tamela Hastie in Cardio Burn is awful.

I love the Classics & the Crosstrainers but it seems that Firm tapes are not for everyone. They seem to inspire strong feelings. I'd rely on recommendations here rather than at Video Fitness. The Firm inspires some fanatical loyalty & sometimes the Firm reviews at VF are better than the videos deserve. E.g., Cardio Burn got mostly good reviews.

thanks guys

thanks for all your help on the firm. I may decide to get a few videos from collage as again I heard that ordering direct from the firm causes alot of problems as customer service is not good, (again I am sorry if it's not true!!!). Perhaps it was bad luck with the first one that I chose. I did find VF (thanks!! Felicia!) and it had a few reviews again some good, some bad, so like you say, I will go by what my cyber pals say!!

hi susan

thanks for your posting, it would be greeat if you could recommend some vids as it may help my credit card from purchasing the wong ones. I had a very good level of fitness before my knee surgery last week. So I am keeping my strength on upper body going by doing cathe's PS and the upper body work from Body max and MIS. I am looking for something that will help me when I start on my fitness programme again, to help with quads and cardio of course. I have ran into a few problems recovery wise, so things are much slower than anticipated.

Hi Lynne

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-00 AT 11:36AM (EST)</font></center>

VF and credit cards...go hand in hand. Just a friendly warning...you will find so many incredible videos talked about over there that you will have your credit card # memorized if you don't already..hehehe. Seriously..we are watch dogs for bargains, nothing better than a new piece of equipment or video at a cheaper price
wink.gif
. Unless your my husband who figures that I didn't need it in the first place LOL!

If you hang out in the VF forum, you may notice alot of the same names that you find here
happy.gif
. They also have a weekly check-in for those recovering from injuries that you might find helpful.

nancy:O)

oops on the grammer

oh no, I did one of those "your" things instead of "you're"...I hear the sirens coming.
Sorry but I just can't bear to kill off those smiles to edit for grammer.
nancy:O)

by chance do you mean

Nancy, by chance do you mean grammar??

happy.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist)
(I'll take a kind heart over good spelling or grammar any day, Nancy)

susan p's best firm picks

Hi lynne, here are my best Firm picks (not necessarily in any order):

1. Maximum Body Sculpting (intermediate)
2. Firm Cardio/Firm Strength -both of these are mainly strength tapes, they are supposed to be a crosstraining pair where you use heaviest weights for Firm Strength and light weights for Firm Cardio. I like to heavy up on 'em both and not use them on consecutive days)
3. Total Body Shaping Mix (my current fave, this one is like a classic, sort of 50-50 weights and cardio)
4. Super Sculpt
5. Tortoise
6. Lower Body Split (this one is expensive but the toughest leg workout known to man!)

Another that I don't own so I cannot personally vouch for it would be Boot Camp 3-in-1. A lot of VFers like it. There you have my opinion! It's worth a nickel at least!
happy.gif

Seconds on Susan P's picks

I second Susan's recommendation of Max Body Sculpting & Firm Cardio/Strength. I don't have the others except the Tortoise. The ballroom aerobics in the Tortoise bore me to tears in spite of Tracy Long's lead. You can find Firm Cardio & Firm Strength in stores occasionally (Target, Costco, Borders & KMart). They're usually a lot cheaper in stores than thru Collage or the Firm.

Firm and Cathe

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-00 AT 06:13PM (EST)</font></center>

I began with the Firm after some experimentation with Kathy Smith, Charlene Prickett, and Jane Fonda. Once I found the Firm there was not turning back to the others. Then I found Cathe and my first Cathe video was MIS. There has been no turning back from Cathe either.

I am one of the weirdos who loves "Cardio Burn" and Tamela Hastie. I have "Boot Camp" and it is a great workout although I am really sick of the compilations of "Tortoise/Hare" and "Variety" series. I have never really liked "Tortoise/Hare" as the "cardio is a complete waste of time. It is warm-up intensity, at best.

The Firm excels in weight training, but their cardio has historically left much to be desired. Their cardio is just not intense enough -- with the exception of "Core Cardio 1".

Sorry for this long discourse, but the bottom line is that combining Firm and Cathe produces a fitness level that is enviable. I recently had a Cardio Lite Treadmill test and the doctor asked me what I did. I told her and she said, "You are sure in great shape and that she wished everyone who she tested was as fit as me. THAT made my day

Sam's Club!

I found Firm Cardio & Firm Strength at Sam's Club for a good price.(Somewhere between $7-$9, I believe!)Just thought you'd like to know. I love a bargain!

thanks to all!!!

Thanks to all of you who answered my question about the firm. Can I ask if any of you have that "tall box" thingy and does it work? Do you know if an ordinary step set to 12" will work just as well? thanking you all in anticiaption once again.

tall boxes

Hi Lynne, I have the official Firm tall box now and I love it (I got the 14"). However, I worked out using a Rubbermaid step stool that was 10" high for a long time. The difference between 10" and 14" was INCREDIBLE and really made a big difference in my results. But I couldn't have STARTED with 14". If you have enough risers to get your step to 12", that is plenty. Maybe even start at 10" if you want to. The Firm sells a tall box that is 12" and a tall box that is 14" (I'm 5'8" so I went for 14). Depending on your height, either one is fine.

You've Gotten EXCELLENT Advice here.

Hey Lynne!

As is to be expected, you got some REALLY good advice here!
happy.gif
I wouldn't expect anything less.

I am currently doing the Firm Rotation, although being an exercise junkie, I've thrown in some stuff in addition to it! (just cuz I want to). I am LOVING It. I am a pear and it's done FANTASTIC things for my lower body!
happy.gif
Wahhhhhoooooo.....

Make sure you check at the stores for the "parts" tapes.... Often times you can find them for $5.99 to about $9.99. Check at WalMart, Target, Saturday Matinee, Borders, Sam Goody (always seem to have odd tapes), KMart, etc..... If they sell Video tapes, ALWAYS check for Exercise ones! You save on shipping and it's usually cheaper than FirmDirect. I also got Firm Strength and Cardio for $8.99 at BJ's Wholesale club! There is also the Video Exchange over at VF!!! I have traded for ALOT of Firms! (love that exchange)
happy.gif

Now, about their customer service... just for the record. I've dealt with them several times recently (uh-oh....) with my collection growing and growing and growing.... (ooops). I have had no problems, although their delivery is not quite "overnight". If it's in stock, it takes 5 to 14 BUSINESS days, depending on where you live. I got a WRONG tape once and they IMMEDIATELY sent out the CORRECT tape along with a self-addressed prepaid label to mail the INCORRECT one back. I cannot complain about their customer service. (I also had to call cuz I got the names confused -- they're ALWAYS changing them -- why do they do that? and I got THOROUGHLY confused).

Then again, check their website, cuz they do offer deals and sometimes your collection can grow with bargain prices? (Now you KNOW I'm a vidiot)... tee-hee....

Also on their website, they have a section that tells you if you want to "firm up" or "tone" certain areas, WHAT tapes they recommend. I suggest you research that... then check out reviews and check out prices.......

Tall box? Love it..... I had my DH make me one.... I am tall and he measured my 90 degree angle on the leg, so it's taller than the average box (I am tall with long legs) and YES.. it does WONDERFUL things for your butt.....
happy.gif
Nothing (and I mean nothing) works the glutes, hamstrings and hips like HEAVY weights and the tall box. (Please note: heavy weights are what's HEAVY for you as an INDIVIDUAL...)

Anyway..... sorry to get long winded... But, the Firm In addition to Cathe make for a WONDERFUL program...... Can't beat it!

One last thing: you may want to hold off for awhile though on a Firm rotation if you are RECOVERING from a knee injury. (didn't I read that???) Cuz the Firm seems to be a little brutal on the knees with endless squats, lunges, and tall box climbs!!! I don't have a problem, but it is a common complaint with alot of people just beginning the rotation! As usual: You must EXERCISE smart and listen to your OWN body (after getting clearance from YOUR doctor!!!!)
happy.gif

Cleda

PS.... Gotta tell ya... Carido Burn is not my favorite, but it's starting to grow on me! (Isn't this fun????
happy.gif
)...arrrrrgggg....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.