Veggies on the Grill

So I don't need one of those fancy thingies to hold the veggies in? We have a grill that has a lower and upper level. Is it better to put them higher or lower or does it matter? It's not that big but we never even use the whole bottom level anyway.

Hey Dallys! Let me know how your corn turns out. I LOVE corn!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

We do zucs on the grill all the time - just slice into bigger pieces, lightly coat with oil and grill, no special equipment needed. Verrrrry yummy - Enjoy!

Suz- the corn turned out perfect! Sweet, with just a touch of a roasted taste.

We have one of those gadgets/baskets that holds the veggies. It works great if you are cooking something like jalepenos. You shake and cook until they are completely black and then put them in a plastic bag to 'sweat'. After about 15 min. in the bag the skin just peels off. Jalepenos cooked this way are perfect for homemade salsa.

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sports/barbell.gif ~Dallys~

www.picturetrail.com/keeponthesunnyside

I do veggies on the grill and RARELY do I have one commit suicide :p. For summer squash and zucchini...slice them lengthwise, about 1/2" thick. Just make sure when you lay them on the grill that you lay them perpendicular to the bars on the grill. For peppers...cut into quarters lengthwise, or if you want smaller pieces, put them on a skewers. For mushrooms...you really need to use skewers because they shrink.

I use a marinade of dijon, balsamic, lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, a touch of agave, garlic, fresh tarragon and rosemary, salt and pepper. YUMMY :9!

Have a good one,

i love grilled veggies :) just wanted to add that i like to grill my corn in the husk also, but i peel the husk back and brush the corn with a mixture of lime juice with a teeny bit of olive oil (teeny, teeny) and then pull the husks back up. YUM!

i also grill portabello mushroom caps just like burgers, just brushed with some olive oil and balsamic.

We use a "veggie tray" so that nothing falls in and it's great for a stir-fry-ish concoction. We also like to grill shucked corn wrapped in foil - just rub the corn with a butter and herb mixture, wrap in foil, and throw on the grill. My mother gave us a "corn holder" that seems to be working pretty well - it works like a clamp and holds 4 corn cobs. Hm . . . now I wanna go eat some corn on the cob and veggies!!!}(

You can also do shish-kabobs: thread marinated veggies (mushrooms, red peppers, onion chunks, tomato, zuchini, chunks of corn on the cob, whatever you like) on a bamboo skewer (soak the skewer in water for a while so it won't burn). That way, the veggies don't fall onto the coals, you can turn all the veggies at once, and you can slide the veggies off the skewer all at once for serving.

Although the veggie trays or baskets are not "necessary" they are nice to have. You can have many kinds and sizes of veggies in one spot, and you don't have to worry about your grill or whether the pieces will fall through. Plus, you can start on the top or bottom rack, and if the veggies are cooking to fast or slow to be finished with your other food, you can just pick up the whole tray/basket and move it, rather than trying to move all the individual pieces. I LOVE grilled veggies. (if only I had a grill)

Gosh you guys - thanks for all the tips! I think I can definitely make a success out of this now. And hopefully I won't have any "suicide" attempts either. :) I wish it was time to go home so I could put some veggies on!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.