Vegetarianism and Muscle building?

sms122903

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies thus far.

I have been working out with cathe for the last 2 months and need to gain muscle mass not lose weight. I am a vegetarian and am looking for some advice on how to build muscle with a vegetarian diet.

Does anyone keep track of exactly how much protein you are intaking? Any ideas, sources, help?

Thanks,
siona:)

Hi Siona,

There are many ways to get protein, but I'm not sure what type of vegetarian you are so just pick and choose what you can follow. Eggs are great, so is milk, hard cheese, nuts, some veggies, like certain seaweeds, cowpeas, watercress, Ballsam's pears, Asparagus, and of course kidney beans, come into mind. I'm sure there are a lot more, but those are the top ones that I remember, from my detitic class and being tested on the highest protiens of of fruits and veggies. The seaweed is the top, the reason I remember as I was shocked, that it has the highest amount of protein but it make since from biological point of view. Just not from the city kid point of view, that has the idea they don't eat fish food. But then again, elephant seals, otters, and many fish eat seaweed as on of their main food sources so it has to be good, as most of those spend a ton of energy every day.

Good luck and I'm sure others will have a lot more in that catogory then I do, as I don't pratice, I just have been interested in studying it and finding out all the different things they eat. Also if I remember right, bamboo is good for protien as well as Spinach.

Kit

Some good veggie protein sources:
quinoa (a complete-protein grain), hemp (a complete protein seed), soy products (tofu, edamame, black soy beans, tempeh--all complete protein foods).

Be sure to eat a variety of beans and legumes (black beans, lentils, etc.).

Seitan is high in protein (also called "wheat meat" its name in Japanese means "complete protein." ) It's made from wheat gluten, so not for those with gluten intolerance, and it is a more processed food, but it is a quick addition to stir fries, for example, and has a "meaty" texture.

www.bodybuilding.com has a whole section of articles targeted towards vegetarians. If you go under the article section of the page, then nutrition then near the bottom of the page their is a link for vegetarians.

>www.bodybuilding.com has a whole section of articles targeted
>towards vegetarians. If you go under the article section of
>the page, then nutrition then near the bottom of the page
>their is a link for vegetarians.

That's a great link!

I buy vital wheat gluten in bulk (eat a LOT of it) and make my own seitan, so there are no added ingredients. It's very easy to whip up a batch. Just mix with water. I don't even add salt. I bake it like bread. It puffs waaaaay up, so be careful. I tried barbecuing it once, and it looked like the blob that ate the barbecue grill. I usually dip it in low-sugar barbecue sauce or cut it up and sprinkle it with cinnamon and Splenda. Sometimes I even eat it with Smucker's sugar-free jelly (good stuff).

Also, you might look into TVP recipes on the Internet. I buy mine at the regular grocery store in the "exotic" flour aisle. It makes fabulous chili! My husband and son didn't know I was pulling a fast one on them. ;) You can find tons of recipes for all these things on the Internet.

As to your question about protein, yes, I do measure my intake very precisely. For me, at least, this is crucial to my weight loss and strength-building success. If I'm not extremely careful, I notice a trend toward "white" foods and eat way too many carbs and not enough protein or dark green veggies. Imagine that! A vegetarian who has to be careful to eat enough vegetables. I had a huge problem with hunger, too, until I started eating enough protein. Now hunger is a very small factor in my weight loss and maintenance.

In addition, I began making huge strides in strength building when I upped my protein intake significantly--in my case I began eating something like triple the amount of protein I was getting when I just did what comes naturally.

Good luck,
Shari

>Seitan is high in protein (also called "wheat meat" its name
>in Japanese means "complete protein." ) It's made from wheat
>gluten, so not for those with gluten intolerance, and it is a
>more processed food, but it is a quick addition to stir fries,
>for example, and has a "meaty" texture.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.