Vegetables

wonderwoman

Cathlete
I love my veggies and I eat them everyday and I know that I do greatly benefit from them but lately I can't take the pain they cause my belly when I eat them. Especially when I'm at work. When I'm at home I really dont care because I'm home and no one else is around.

Is there anyone out there who had completely eliminated veggies because of this?

I thought about doing this but was at a loss as to what to substitute for veggies that would give me the same benefits. I know vitamins are great but what else?

I love my veggies and I eat them everyday and I know that I do greatly benefit from them but lately I can't take the pain they cause my belly when I eat them. Especially when I'm at work. When I'm at home I really dont care because I'm home and no one else is around.

Is there anyone out there who had completely eliminated veggies because of this?

I thought about doing this but was at a loss as to what to substitute for veggies that would give me the same benefits. I know vitamins are great but what else?

Have you suddenly increased your vegetable intake? Is there a specific vegetable that is giving you problems? I think we would need to have more details of your daily food intake.

You cannot completely eliminate vegetables - they should make up the bulk of your diet. There is NO substitute for unprocessed vegetables in the diet - where would your fibre, vitamins and phytochemicals come from?

Perhaps you should see a dietician/nutritionist who can analyze your diet.

Don't give up on veggies! :)
Corrie

I've tried Beano and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I start to feel it after lunch. I eat my lunch at 1130 everyday I'm an early bird I wake up at 430am daily. After my meal I have a salad with (leafy romaine) greens, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, pinch of shredded fat free cheese and dressing then 20-30 minutes later it starts. I think it's the lettuce. It happens after I eat broccoli, beans, and red onions but at that point I'm home already so it really doesn't bother me only when I'm at work!

I have the same problem with lettuce, and beans. Which stinks (no pun intended!) because I really like eating salad but most days I go for vegetable soup instead or a veggie sandwich.

I found pinto beans and chickpeas are a easier for me to digest than black beans.
Lettuce I just have to watch my portion.

I avoid these foods for dinner so I can sleep - otherwise I'm too uncomfortable. I stick with cooked vegetables - green beans, peppers, asparagus, cauliflower all are ok for me. Small amounts of brocolli and onion are ok.

I've tried the Gas X and it didnt work for me but I havent tried that papaya enzyme. I really dont want to try the otc meds too much because I'm 5 months pregnant but gas is nothing new to me.

I noticed I hardly had any yesterday but the day before that was an annoyance. Yesterday I had a smaller portion of the romaine lettuce as well as tomatoes and cucumbers so maybe that did the trick.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

For lettuce you need to try softer lettuce. I will only eat the spring mix these days. I used to wonder why after a healthy salad my stomach had stabbing pains. I just can't process rough lettuce. I hated to think I was going to have to stop eating my salads.

Usually the gas is caused by your GI tract not being used to the fiber. You don't have the bacteria to digest it easily.

If you're not used to the food, the quantity of it, or to eating it every day, give your intestinal flora some time to adapt. Keep the total amount of fiber lower at first -- low enough you're not having lots of discomfort. Also be sure to spread it out over the day instead of all in one meal. Then increase it slowly. Your body will adapt, and you won't suffer while it is.

I'm a vegetarian, and I know new vegetarians often have this problem. Small, slow, steady changes in diet are the key.

Then again, sometimes people have IBS or sensitivities to individual foods . (My body started objecting to onions when I hit 40, go figure.) Maybe romaine just isn't your thing. A lot of people have more trouble with crucifers (broccoli, brussells sprouts, cabbage, kale, collards, cauliflower) too.

Whatever you do, don't give up veggies! Transitioning to a healthier diet can be hard to do, but no vitamin or supplement can replace the complex of nutrients in real food. Good luck! :)

It doesn't have the fiber of whole vegetables, but my kids sadly refuse to eat their veggies, and they both LOVE V-8 Fusion juice. It has 1 serving of fruits and 1 serving of vegetables in every 8 ounce serving and no added sugar. There are lots of yummy flavors to choose from. It's an easy way to get your nutrients in, especially if you are pregnant, and your body may digest it more easily than whole veggies and fruit. It even comes in convenient cans you can take with you on-the-go.

Jules

Papaya is not an "otc" medication its just a bit of the enzyme from the fruit that has been put into a chewable little tablet, it tastes like papaya, you chew it up with your meal. You don't have to try it if you don't want to. It kind of sounds like you may be making too little acid for your stomach to break down the vegetables enough before they enter the small intestine.

I agree that papaya works great, its just a natural digestive enzyme that is in papaya fruit. I used to get stomach aches all the time, and it really helps. You can get it at any health food store. Linda

My chiropractor suggested digestive enzymes after I complained of gas and terrible bloating. Enzymes worked well! I took a couple with my meal and my problem was solved.

Papaya is not an "otc" medication its just a bit of the enzyme from the fruit that has been put into a chewable little tablet, it tastes like papaya, you chew it up with your meal. You don't have to try it if you don't want to. It kind of sounds like you may be making too little acid for your stomach to break down the vegetables enough before they enter the small intestine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.