Vegans...Thanksgiving ideas

pixie9

Cathlete
Just wondering what all my fellow vegans are preparing for Thanksgiving this year. I'm making:
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Vegan Thanksgiving Meatloaf
Homemade cranberry sauce
Mashed Yams
Cherry pie

I got all of my recipes this year from www.vegweb.com. They have tons of vegan recipes and most have reviews. What are you all making?

carolyn

ETA: forgot to mention that I'm also making rice pudding. That recipe is from the How it all Vegan cookbook. Easy and fast to make...also tastes like heaven to me.
:9

Tofurkey (bought)
Homemade veggie gravy
Garlic mashed potatoes
Vegan Green Bean casserole (yummy!!)

I'm visiting family in Florida for TG--so I'm going to have to be creative to eat around the non vegan selection. I'm thinking of showing up with a small tupperware of chicpeas in my pocket or eating a vegan burrito before I go

But for future thanksgivings--Carole-- can you send me the Vegan Green Bean casserole or is it in Vegan Planet?

Carolyn--where is the vegan meatloaf recipe from? It sounds good!

Thanks for posting this.

-Barb:)

I am making:

Tofurkey with wild rice
Asparagus with Sweet Black Fig Vinegar
Baked Yams
Mashed Cauliflower with Cashews (it is a mock mashed potato dish)
Green Salad with Tangy Soy Dressing
Baked apples

>I'm visiting family in Florida for TG--so I'm going to have
>to be creative to eat around the non vegan selection. I'm
>thinking of showing up with a small tupperware of chicpeas in
>my pocket or eating a vegan burrito before I go
>
>But for future thanksgivings--Carole-- can you send me the
>Vegan Green Bean casserole or is it in Vegan Planet?
>
>Carolyn--where is the vegan meatloaf recipe from? It sounds
>good!
>
>Thanks for posting this.
>
>-Barb:)

Hi Carole and Barb! Barb, I got the recipe from vegweb.com. I think this link should get you there: vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7408.0 If that doesn't work, go to www.vegweb.com and search (top left) for "Thanksgiving Meat Loaf".
I've never tried it before but the reviewers were raving about it, so I'm giving it a try.:)

>I'm visiting family in Florida for TG--so I'm going to have
>to be creative to eat around the non vegan selection. I'm
>thinking of showing up with a small tupperware of chicpeas in
>my pocket or eating a vegan burrito before I go
>
>But for future thanksgivings--Carole-- can you send me the
>Vegan Green Bean casserole or is it in Vegan Planet?
>
>Carolyn--where is the vegan meatloaf recipe from? It sounds
>good!
>
>Thanks for posting this.
>
>-Barb:)

The meatloaf recipe looks good!!

Barb...I think I got the green bean casserole from Vegsource.com. I also have it somewhere on my PC...I will get it to you when I find it!!

This thread is making me hungry! Oh how I wish we had Thanksgiving Day here in the UK!

Thanks for the excellent links. I just discovered gelatine-free marshmallows, so now I feel like I am on a roll!! :)

Trevor

Not vegan, but I've been making the same vegetarian t'giving for years:

Vegetarian stuffing
Vegetarian gravy
Mashed potatoes
Whole cranberry and orange relish
Green beans
Waldorf salad
Pumpkin custard...basically pumpkin pie with no crust!

And DH makes biscuits

Thesae menus look tasty!

I am bringing a very large platter of assorted roasted veggies to our family gathering and some pies. The pumpkin pies will not be vegan but the apple pie will. I will just choose the rest of my meal carefully. My sister makes an awesome cranberry sweet potato casserole. Her 17 yo DD is a vegetarian (not vegan though)

Carole-
Thank you for the green bean recipe. I copied it and will try it for a family dinner.

I just checked out Vegweb.com and printedthe vega nPumpkin pie and the Thanksgiving meatloaf too! I think I'll try the pumpkin pie first!

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

I'm neither vegan or vegetarian, but wish I was on T'day. I'm not a big fan of turkey... but my family would absolutely freak if I suggested we do without. One year I suggested we roast salmon... a kind of Northwest version of the thanksgiving feast. Well, that suggestion went over like a ton of bricks. This year, I meekly suggested we go out to a restaurant, and my DD made such a face, like I was nuts to even suggest such a thing. Heavy turkey, heavy stuffing, heavy mashed potates and turnips... ugh. I am going to make a green apple and celery salad to lighten things up a bit.:9

We got the "Tofurky Feast" last week. The feast is all vegan and contains the Tofurky Roast, Cranberry Apple Potato Dumplings, Tofurky Giblet & Mushroom Gravy, Herbed brown and Tofurky Wild Rice Stuffing, and Tofurky Jurky Wishstix. Fun and convenient! I actually love the tofurky brand but I've been really limiting my intake of meat subs and other processed vegan convenience food.

Then while in St. Louis this past Saturday, we went to Whole Foods and they were giving out samples of aurapro vegan "turkey". Aurapro is a veggie protein alternative that is only available in the St. Louis area (in restaurants for the most part), but the Whole Foods employee said the product was going national soon. Appartantly, aurapro makes a vegan substitute for turkey, beef, chicken, pork, crab and sausage. Anyway, it tasted really good and the texture was a lot like turkey, which was actually a bit creepy. So we got one of those too! We'll probably make a few other fixings like mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie, but we definately won't be lacking in protein. I was actually trying to think of a way to veganize one of those pumpkin pie recipes that were just posted. They sound good!

Amy

I am making a vegetarian (not vegan) meal this year of...

Pesto-Peppercorn Torta with veggies & crackers(Molly Katzen-Still Life with Menu cookbook)
Cranberry Relish salad with apples and sunchokes (MK, Still Life)
Harvest pot pies (from veg. times magazine)
Comprehensively stuffed squash (Molly Katzen-Moosewood)
mashed potatoes with Punk Rock Gravy (Vegan with a Vengence)
Wilted spinach with garlic and hazelnuts
Chocolate-Pecan Pie (these last 2 are also Molly Katzen, Still Life with Menu cookbook)
Sparkling cider
Wine

Cheers!

"http://www.myspacegraphicsandanimations.com/images/HappyThanksGivingTurkeys.jpg"
I hope I don't offend anyone, but I thought this was so funny!!! My sister sent it to me yesterday and I haven't been able to quit laughing since...

Happy Vegan Thanksgiving, everyone! :D

Missy

>I hope I don't offend anyone, but I thought this was so
>funny!!! My sister sent it to me yesterday and I haven't been
>able to quit laughing since...
>
>Happy Vegan Thanksgiving, everyone! :D
LOL!

I saw a show yesterday where a woman was sticking her hand into a turkey to take out the necks or whatever else is stuffed up there,, and it did look very similar!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.