Vasectomies...

buckeyegirl

Cathlete
Ok, so I was on sushi yesterday and now I'm onto vasectomies:p

DH and I are done having kids - he's 43, I'm 42, and it's time to move on from our child bearing years. I've been thinking about him getting a vasectomy. For one thing, I'm sick of using..ummm...condoms (TMI, I know, sorry). I don't want to take BCP and I've had so many reproductive related surgeries surrounding the birth of my boys that I don't think I want to or should endure another procedure. I've broached the vasectomy subject with DH with a lot of hesitance on his part. I know it's painful and scary, but isn't it pretty much "in and out", put a bag of frozen peas on your crotch for a couple days, kind of procedure?

I keep gently nudging but don't want to give him some sort of ultimatum. However, we've met our deductible for the year, and I'm thinking to do it before the end of the year.

Any experiences (or your dh's experience:D) you care to share?
Hope this isn't too touchy of a subject, but what the heck, I'm throwing it out there anyway;)

Thanks!
Heidi

My husband had one several years ago, and it was exactly how you described: he was in and out, put a bag of frozen peas on his crotch for a couple of days, and that was it! It's sooo nice to not have to worry about birth control.

It was the best thing my husband did for us! No more worries about BC - no prescriptions for me - so well worth the few minutes of discomfort. It was just a few minutes in the doctors office - he did it on a Friday afternoon and was back to work on Monday morning. Just a little discomfort - nothing he could not handle.
It will be one of the best things for you as a couple!

;)

Michelle

Exactly as you described! I was 43 and he was 52 at the time, done with trying to have kids. It's funny, because like you, we also waited until we met our deductible. What made the procedure a little less scary for him is that for a a few weeks following after they get snipped - they have to, um, you know,um, that thing guys do....a lot....:eek: to make sure as the nurse put it "the procedure was successful". Oh, and for the record, he's really glad he had it done. A LOT less pressure!

He works in another state now, go figure!

Pam

Well, men who refuse or are hesitant about getting the "V", IMO, are being selfish - this is a sore topic for me.

My DH said it was the least a man can do for his wife who has gone through the discomfort and pain of carrying and birthing a child/children. Plus, it is such a simple procedure for a man compared to what a woman has to go through for a tubal ligation.

My DH has convinced several of our hesitant male friends to have it done at the request of their wives.

My husband had a "no-scalpel" vasectomy and believe me, it appeared to be a lot less discomfort than my two labour and deliveries! He was in and out of the doctor's office before I had a chance to finish the article I was reading in the waiting room and there were no stitches, just some glue.

Hubby says he was swollen for a couple of days and then back to normal within a week. It probably would have been less time if my daughter hadn't accidently kicked daddy in the general area of swelling ;)...

Mine had one a few years ago. He actually didn't complain too much!! (Of course before the surgery he told me that they are "going to cut him open" ...whatever!? I proceeded to tell him that they really did cut me open and took two babies out at the same time...hahahaha He was quiet after that...
Anyway, get him a frozen bag of peas, let him watch the golf channel all weekend and it will be well worth it. No condoms, no hormones...yeah!

I swear, however, I think I am pregnant sometimes. I just cannot believe it works.

Anyway, good luck.

No experience with vasectomies; my DH would not consider it. I did, however, get a IUD about 6 months ago and I love it. No periods (or hardly) and I don't have to take the pill anymore. If your hubbie is stubborn (like mine), you may want to consider an IUD as a no hassle option.

No experience with vasectomies either, but like BuffyR I have had an IUD for 5 years. It has been wonderful to the point that I need to get mine removed (this Friday) and I am having another one put it at the same time. Best invention ever! Though this time it will be me with a bag on peas on my privates all weekend. I am thinking of having a girl movie marathon :p:p

Thanks for all the replies - I thought this thread had died a natural death already:)

I think he's giving it deep consideration. Perhaps it was the "running to the bathroom in search of condoms" the other night that ruined the moment that finally convinced him:eek:

He is looking into the no scalpel method, and I think there's one in town that does it. In fact, I'm gonna go make a quick call and see about getting the fire under him a little bit.

Thanks for all your "experiences" and also the IUD thoughts. I did consider that but really don't want ANY hormones and the only one I could get put in around here still has some hormones, even though it is only progesterone. Besides,I've had horrible medical issues with repro stuff. I'd be the lucky one to get a uterine infection or some weird side effect, I swear!!

Heidi

I'm late to the game but my DH had one two years ago when he was 36 and I was 35-in and out and chilled with a bag of frozen veggies for a few days and that's it! He had no problem doing it either. He said I'd done enough! I've never been on BCP or any other contraceptives except condoms and we've been together for almost 18 years. So he was ready to give those up too! If he goes through with it-make sure he goes for a follow up-don't want an oops!! Funny how men are so shy about a minimally invasive outpatient procedure but us women have to deal with pregnancy, labor, delivery-vaginal or c-section, nursing, bodies that will never be the same, etc.

My husband went through the Big V, mainly because after having three children, all vaginal births, one with forceps that resulted in a third-degree tear to my rectum, I didn't offer any other options. He was in and out, actually drove himself home, had minor discomfort, but after a couple days he was fine.

Also, our insurance doesn't cover BC or IUDs, does cover tubals but I wasn't about to go through surgery!

My DH was reluctant too, but after he talked to BIL and others who had it done finally decided to give it a go. Funny how a bunch of other guys saying 'hey dude, it's really no big deal' has such an impact. I also pushed the 'I don't want to be on BCP's my whole life' and the 'won't it be cool not to have to worry about getting preggo?' We are both thrilled with the outcome. It's much more worry-free being off BCP's and we can be as spontaneous as we want. It really is a nice freedom.

Make sure he takes it easy for a couple of days though. I do know of a guy who just went about his normal work routine and ending up with a lot of problems b/c he didn't follow doctors orders. So, maybe promise him a weekend of couch time with a massage, ice cream/popcorn, and full access to the remote. It seems that most guys who get it done at the end of the week and return to work the following Monday do just fine.

My husband had it done before we got married. I can't take BC because I had a clot in my left leg caused by BC. When I mentioned him having the big V & told him we could stop using a condom, he made an appointment that same week! He had it done on a Friday, & went back to work that Monday. No problems with it at all.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.