Upright Rows!?! Someone talk to me!

jillybean

Cathlete
I have a question. Are upright rows for the upperback or the front delts? I have a video that uses upright rows in the back work and MIS which uses them for shoulders. Are they like dead lifts, in that they work two groups at once (like the low back and hammies)? Thanks to anyone who answers!

Yes- they work more than one muscle group. They work everything you can feel: shoulders (including front delts), upper back, and (less) biceps, triceps, forearms, wrists.

Thanks Connie! I did feel it in my back as well as my arms and shoulders, but I thought maybe I was using bad form or something. Thanks again.

Your positioning on upright rows also affects which muscles are primarily wokred.

Hands placed close together with weights (typically)brought up higher than shoulder level (with this positioning): front delts and trapezius hit

Hands placed shoulder width apart and weights brought no higher than shoulder level: side delts are hit

I always do the latter since there aren't many moves that hit the side delts. In fact this has to be one of my favorite moves altogether!

jeanne

I thought I read somewhere (I think it was the VF Forum) that upright rows were an unsafe move? Can't remember the exact reasons why, but something to do with it not being a natural movement, and cases of causing shoulder/rotator cuff impingement. I may have got this wrong, mind you! Anyone else heard anything like this?
Kaz.

Today Is The Tomorrow We Worried About Yesterday And All Is Well.

The move that is bad for the rotator cuff is where you are holding the weights down at your sides, arms straight, and then bringing them straight out to the sides, not bending the elbows. Lifting them any higher than, say, your chest area, causes rotator cuff problems. Sorry, I don't know the technical name for these but I do know a physical therapist that told me many, many injuries were caused from raising the weights too high on that move. Upright rows are done in front, though, and they feel GREAT!!! - Kath

Justan additional comment to add regarding upright rows and lateral raises (lifting the weights to the sides with straight arms). The upright row can indeed cause problems for some people. It is however a functional move (think of lifting a grocery bag up onto the counter). The problems can occur when the upright row is performed to the point where the elbows go higher than the shoulders--this can lead to impingement of various tendons that run under the acromion process of the scapula. Same with the side lateral raise. Some videos will tell you to raise your arms to the side with the thumbs pointing down as if pouring water from a glass. This can cause impingement again because there is a bone at the top of the humerus that will bang into the acromion process in this position, or, if it doesn't actually bang into it, it will decrease the space for the tendons to pass through. Side lateral raises can be safely performed if you turn the arm so the palm faces forward and lift slightly forward of the shoulders. You can test this explanation at home: try lifting your arm out to the side with your thumb pointing towards the floor or even straight ahead. You will not be able to comfortably lift the arm too much above shoulder height. Now do the same move with the thumb pointing upward and the arm slightly forward of the body. You should be able to lift the arm right up to your ear without any resistance or pain (unless you already have a rotator cuff problem). With upright rows, a safe range is to only lift until the elbows are even with the shoulders and if the move causes any pain during the exercise or if you get pain a day or two later, eliminate the exercise completely. Hope this helps!

It seems to me that this positioning may use front delts as well as side delts. Thus, using the side delts less. Do you think this is true? Jeanne

Thanks for all that great info! I have a question, when you do side lateral raises with a bent arm as opposed to a straight (with unlocked elbows of course) is the only difference the length of the lever or does it hit certain delt heads differently? Thanks again!

To answer the two previous questions--yes the positioning of the arms SLIGHTLY forward will activate the front delts a little but you are still hitting the side laterals with less risk. When you do a side lateral with bent elbows, it is just a matter of shortening the lever arm. It is not necessarily hitting different muscles.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.