Undulating Warriors Jan 11th-17th

SassyLady7

Cathlete
Hi Warriors!

Thought I'd go ahead and get our thread started for the week! :) I did it! I got up earrrrlly this morning & did my working out for the day! It felt pretty good. I was hungrier than usual throughout the day, but stayed within my point limit. I'm going to bed early so I can keep this early morning thang going!

I did HiiT Pyramid & Disc 1 today. Pyramid was fun. It was challenging, but it seemed a little easier for me than 30/30 did. I think that's because it was all floor aerobics/drills and a step wasn't used. Janis, you were right. It did fly by when you focused on it being all downhill once you got to the top of the pyramid. I enjoyed it & am planning to do it again on Friday. Disc 1 was good. My shoulders did not want to cooperate as they were still a little DOMSy from the workout on Friday. But I did all the correct weights for me. The chest wasn't liking all the push-ups, but it never does! ;)

Heather, hope life slows down for you (as much as it can when you're beginning the work week!) Hopefully next weekend will be more restful. It did feel good to be back in Meso 1--the workouts fly by!

Cathy, Glad to hear that your Doc appt went well. 4-6 wks will fly by! Don't feel bad about doing Disc 1 push-ups on your knees---that's how I ended up doing the bulk of them and I have no excuse!!! ;)

Janis & MJ, Hope your week & workouts are starting out strong!

See you all tomorrow!

Tara

Hey Everyone

I finished out the day with an Insanity workout - Plyo Circuit. Unfortunately it has push-ups in it, then just because I did Bootcamp abs and the abs from Circuit Blast. There weren't very many from Circuit Blast but there were push-ups there too. My chest will be fried!

It was a pretty fun day in the as I helped out in both kids classes today. I think I should have been a teacher... but hey.

Tara - Glad to hear that you were able to get up and do your workout. I find that it is so satisfying to know that your workout is complete and the rest of your day is yours. Hopefully the early morning thing works out for you!

Janis- I am nibbling on a few chocolate chips right now... just so you won't feel alone! Meso 1 feels like such a change from Meso 3! I can't wait to see what kind of impact the undulating rotation has! Along with the clean eating, of course. I really think that my diet is the culprit but I really do eat very clean (aside from the occasional chocolate chips). I am not sure how I can be working out this much and not loosing! Must keep adjusting!

Cathy - That is great news about your ankle! It will be no time till your back in full action. Not having to baby your ankle will also really help out in everything else too!

MJ - Hope all is well!

Talk to you tomorrow
Heather

Tara YAY! on getting up and working out. :D I think the pyramid Hiit will likely be the first one I can do since it doesn't use the step. I think for the first few weeks I can do aerobics again, I'll stick with the easier kick box type ones and stuff that uses the floor only and then move up to step on just the platform. I actually walked normally UP the stairs a bit ago, but I may never go DOWN them normally again in this lifetime. ;)

I've found the only cure for the chocolate chips in the cupboard issue is to not have chocolate chips in the cupboard. I don't get into them often, but when I do it isn't pretty. :eek: My problem at the moment is that I made chocolate cake for the party the other day and there was too much frosting and so now I have this container of really tasty chocolate frosting in the frig that keeps calling out my name. I'll be able to avoid it today. Since it's his actual birthday we'll have the rest of it tonight.

Oh, and Tara I don't mind the least bit having to do push-ups on my knees. I love the excuse. I've come to the conclusions that push-ups and I are a relationship not meant to be. I do as many as I can on my toes, but after years of doing them I've just come to accept that doing all of them that way isn't a happening thing. So, I'll just revel in the fact that I can do chest flies with 25 lbs instead. :D

Heather isn't it a bummer when you go to do something and find out the crazy woman included push-ups. :eek: I always forget they are in the warm-ups for Drill Max and 4DS Boot Camp until I get to those parts. I'm usually doing them as cardio, so sometimes I'll just do something different.

This morning I did leg floor work and was able to add in a few more of the exercises. Then I also did the core work from Boot Camp and I did all of it this time instead of subbing for some moves.

Today is the first day of a new session for homeschool classes and I'm teaching one! My first paying job since I retired in '98. Not much, but it'll help pay for my room at a conference I'm going to in April.

Have a wonderful day Warriors!

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone

I got up a little later than planned and could only do my run so far. It was CC8 , so it was 62min. As it turns out I think that was probably a good thing that I could only do one workout! My Abs are really sore from yesterday and my lats. I have been slacking on the Ab workouts so I have to get back at it! My chest surprisingly does not seem too bad.

I am hoping to fit MMA kickboxing in somewhere else today but if it doesn't happen, then so be it! DS is home today so I am having a quiet day and not getting stressed about the pile of work sitting in the other room! Tomorrow right!

Cathy - Have fun teaching. I am curious if you home school why you are not teaching your kids all the time? Is it kind of like a private school set up?
For some reason yesterday the Bootcamp Abs with the medicine ball on your side really got me. I have to say I really like that Abs workout!
AND I have to agree the solution for chocolate chips in just not to have them in the house!

Tara - So could you get up this morning? This week should be much slower and I am going to make sure that things don't get out of hand!

Janis and MJ - Hope your workouts go well this morning!
Talk to you soon
Heather

Hi Warriors!

I got up, but not early enough to get my workout out in before work. But once I got home, I ate & then threw in Athletic Step. Great workout! I found some of the steps a little tricky---had to rewind a couple of times and practice some over. But pretty much had it by the time I got to the putting all the combos together towards the end. Lots of fun!

I'm on track to get to bed early & I'm going to try to get up tomorrow in time to do Legs & Abs before work. It felt so good yesterday to have the workout done in the AM. When I got home that evening, I had some extra time & didn't feel rushed to get my workout in before it got too late. I definitely liked having that extra hour in the evening, so I'm highly motivated to keep on with the AM workouts. Just have to get my sleepy, not-a-morning person type of body to cooperate! ;)

Cathy, I'm beginning to think that push-ups and me aren't compatible either! ;)
I'm like you when it comes to sweets--if there are any in the house, I'm very tempted to nibble! But then when I really want something chocolate, I get mad that there isn't anything in the house! Since I've started only eating fiber-rich sweets (e.g. oatmeal cookies/kashi bars), I haven't craved the chocolate as much. Hope it lasts!! Enjoy teaching home school---sounds like a lot of fun. Kids are fun to be around. :)

Heather, I tend to slack on the Ab workouts too. The first time I did STS, I just stopped doing the abs after Meso 1. I don't know why other then there were so many days that I was tired after doing STS, that I just couldn't find the will-power to do Abs on top of it!
I'm trying to be better now. :) Abs are on the schedule for me tomorrow!

Janis, it's funny that Meso 1 Disc 1 would seem challenging after doing Meso 3, doesn't it?
I like Meso 1 in many ways, but when I get used to having to do only 8-12 reps/set, 15 reps just seems like way tooo much! :) I have to always get used to the high reps again.

MJ, Hope all is well!

Tara

Happy Tuesday Warriors!!!

When I woke up this morning there was no electricity. From all tell-tale signs the power went out around midnight, and was only just restored. I have to say that this is one MAJOR downside to living in the country. First the outage was because of downed trees, power was restored for 15-20 minutes and then went down again. This time due to "faulty equipment." Which is code word for - "our local crew messed things up and we had to bring in trained personnel to repair the problem." BTW, the downed trees were caused by a fellow up the street who made the hillside unstable by clearing out too many smaller trees and shrubs this fall - it made the soil soft and the tall pine on his property tumbled down into the road. It was quite the spectacle this morning with road flares, fire crew (live wire in the road), Caltrans crew with chain saws, Sheriff doing traffic control, PG&E scrambling to put up a new pole etc..etc..

It's amazing how much I accomplished with no distractions to side-track me!

My workout for today was 40 minutes on the stationary bike. My quads were on fire! (biked to ccv3) I haven't used the bike in a long while as it used to aggravate my stress fracture, it was really nice to have an option for today that didn't use electricity and was in a safe, warm, dry location.

Heather - It is never too late to become a teacher! Way to go on your run! CC8 is a challenge and an intense workout! I remember loving v7 and v8, someday soon I'll be back to running that long.

Cathy - What did you retire from? And what subject did you teach today? Hey - you could slide down the stairs!!! Did you ever do that when you were a kid? We would use a flattened cardboard box. Good luck with the frosting. Whatever you do - don't start spreading it on crackers. (Like me and Nutella!)

Tara- I'm with you sister - I avoid working my abs. It is my least favorite area to exercise, I'd rather do 100 push ups on my toes! Yesterday, on the first three Meso 1 exercises I only lifted to 12! Then I noticed I was done earlier than everyone else! Duh! 15 reps feels like an eternity.

MJ - Are you drowning at work? I hope you're getting some tennis playing in despite the weather.

I agree - the best solution to the chocolate chip problem is to not have them in the house, but I do a lot of baking and like to have "supplies" on hand. Maybe I should just buy semi-sweet bars, and cut them up when I make cookies. Unwrapping a bar to snack on - well - that would be crossing the line. lol!

Legs tomorrow - woohoo!
:D

Last edited:
Tara just stick with the early to bed early to rise and soon it'll start to feel natural to you. I love getting my workouts out of the way first thing because it seems like when you do them later in the day so many things can interfere.

Tell you guys what - you do my push-ups and I'll do your abs. ;)

Janis if we hadn't torn out our carpet years ago, and had vinyl put on the stairs, I definitely would have considered sliding down them. :D Hope you don't have any more problems with your power. Years ago when our power went out and it did with every heavy wind it seemed, it would be out for long periods. The year I was pregnant with my first ours went out and was out for like 5 days, during which they gave me a baby shower at work. Needless to say without a shower DH and I weren't looking so hot. :eek: Fortunately, they redid the power station and we now rarely have problems. Oh, and I worked for the State of Michigan for 19 years before having kids - I was a late starter. :D So, when I reach retirement age (62 or 63) I have a pension/medical waiting for me.

Homeschooling in MI is pretty much up to you how you do it. We're kind of in the middle. There are those who basically set up school at home and those who unschool which is nothing structured and we do some of both things. When you only have two kids to teach things move along much faster than when you are trying to get a class full of kids to learn the same thing, so we can move along at a fast pace, with much less actual time spent. There are a lot of places in the area that offer classes: museums, nature centers, the zoo and we are taking full advantage of those this year. The classes we went to today are done through parks and rec and we use their building and they keep half the class fees. I'm teaching a class (4 classes) called "Tracking Michigan Birds" and we are focusing on keeping lists, and doing bird counts with the intent of the kids learning enough to participate in Cornell's Great Backyard Bird Count next month. It's one of their Citizen Science programs. In the spring, I'm doing one on migration. Nicholas is also taking two other classes. One is Creative Challenges and they get materials and told what the end result needs to be and they have to create the object from the materials. The other is called Exploring Math Through Puzzles and he's busy right now trying to solve one of them. There's a wide variety of topics and in the spring it looks like we will be going having two additional days a month, so that there will be classes every week instead of every other week. So, we do some stuff with text books, lots of reading, tons of discussions and classes.

Heather if you are interested in teaching you really should consider going for it! Never too late. I'm planning on becoming a personal trainer when the boys are older and I'll probably be close to 60!

Last edited:
This morning was Disk 2. I only had to adjust a few exercises and I did do the deadlifts, but I only used 10 lb weights. Those side lying tricep push-ups, I was actually able to do the ones where you put your hand on your shoulder and in the past I'd had to stay with the easier version - so I can tell my triceps have gotten stronger!

On the downside, my right leg has noticeably atrophied from not using it much for a few weeks. :( My right quad has never gotten back up to full size since my knee surgery in '88 and now it's looking really puny compared to my left. I've also lost in my right calf, too. So, I'll be gradually working to get that back up to full strength. I'm guessing that until I do I'll have to hold off on the harder Shock Cardio workouts.

Looks like it's going to be sunny here this morning - so much nicer when the sun is shining! Have a fun day everyone!!

Good morning Everyone

I did Disc 3 Legs this morning and WOW. It was really challenging. I am very excited because I was able to really increase the weight that I was using by alot, but I think that I will really be feeling it tomorrow. I did MMA Kickbox last night. It was fun but did not feel that tough. Although from all the ab work the day before I noticed that you really use you abs alot for kickboxing! It was a really nice workout to add on since I had done CC8 that morning. If I had done it on it's own I would have wanted to add a little more cardio. I am going to work this morning and then do a Hiit workout later on to give my legs a chance to relax from this morning!

Cathy - Nice going with the tricep push-ups! I tore my MCL and the doctors didn't know that I had torn cartilage as well and they left me in a straight leg brace for 2 months. Then they operated. My leg was like jello!. It will come back but it will take alot of work on your part... but I have a funny feeling that you are up to it!

Hope everyone else has a great day. I'll check in again after Hiit! Now to decide which one to do!
Cheers
Heather

Hey Everyone,

I did a nice early morning workout today. :) I did Disc 3-legs & most of No-equipment abs--puckered out towards the end ;) I think the leg workouts of Meso 1 are my favorite workouts in this Mesocycle, so it was enjoyable in a challenging sort of way!

Janis, hope you weren't without power too long. Glad that you had your bike to go to for a workout---very convenient!

Heather, which HiiT did you end up doing? Have you tried 40/20 yet? If so, let me know what it's like. I'm going to attempt that one next week. Tomorrow, I'm planning to do Kickboxing. Sounds like it's a great way to get in some light cardio & Ab work all in one!

Cathy, It felt good getting my workout out of the way this morning. It did seem a little easier getting up early today. I hope it will continue to get easier. I'm determined to make it a habit! :) Enjoy your sunshine!

MJ, Miss you & hope you haven't been attacked by the work beast! Look forward to hearing from you soon.

I'm off to bed so I can get up early tomorrow. See you then!

Tara

Good Evening!
Today I broke up the work day with Hiit 30/30 (Tara - I decided to take it easy on myself). It fit nicely into a break because it was so short! I have to say that I love the stretchs at the end of all the Shock Cardio's! My upper hamstrings/butt are a little sore tonight and I am a little afraid for tomorrow. My plan right now is to wake up and do Cardio Core and then do a steady state run all before 7:30am. Maybe a little ambitious but I think do-able. If I wait long enough before I go for my run then the sun will be rising and I can run outside.
As for Hiit 30/30. I liked it, I didn't love it but like it. I think that I was a little tired today so that made me feel a little draggy for the workout. The stuff I am working on right now is pretty dry so that does not help.

Janis - I did some stationary bike workouts to CC this summer and they were killer hard. I think that it is just a group of muscles that don't get used by running and other standing type workouts. Good job and very impressive that you found a way to workout when there was a big obstacle! Hope your workout today went well, Did you do Disc 3? How did your ankle manage?

Cathy - How did teaching go? Did you do it already? Hopefully the exercises that Janis passed along and some internet searches will get your leg back into shape! It's amazing how quickly it goes. Lots of protein for you!

Tara - I always forget that you are a different time zone. Hope you have a good nights sleep and you get your workout in, in the morning! Talk to you then!

MJ - Hope all is well in Florida! I actually have a conference in Orlando next week and I am hoping to see some sunshine! Are things getting any better? Hope your workouts are going well... I know that you are doing them!!

Talk to all tomorrow
Heather

This morning I did some yoga/stretching and the core work from High Step Challenge.

MJ how are you doing? Is it warmer today. I know my sister was dealing with frozen pipes a couple days this week.:eek:

Heather my class went really well. Now I just have to get everything organized for my second one, but since they are every two weeks I've got plenty of time.
Did you get your workout and run in this morning?

So you guys that did Disk 3 yesterday, can you walk? :D That's my number 1 disk for lower body soreness....crippling ;)

Tara did you make it up early again today?

The weatherman has been cruel. Predicting near 40 degree temps and then backing off and making it colder again. Originally it was supposed to be that high today and now it's back to the mid-30's and they are saying Monday. I know it'll just be the January thaw and then February will be all nasty again, but it'll be nice to just see the thermometer hit the number again, however briefly!

Hey Everyone

I was too tired this morning so I didn't get up early. I am going to do Cardio core circuit tonight and call it a day. I did go skating though! I think I need to back off a bit and just stick to one disc a day and an extra run if I am up for it.!
Talk to you later tonight!
Heather

Happy Thursday Warriors!

Yesterday I did Disc 3, no DOMS today, but yesterday my legs felt like they got a good workout, afterward I decided to walk on the treadmill for 45-50 minutes instead of running. It was raining very hard yesterday with a 12 mph wind, which was breaking branches off of trees, it was an impressive and dramatic storm. This morning was beautiful, so I decided to take my run outside. I ran on the same hilly dirt road that I ran on last week, which winds through an enormous vineyard. It was absolutely stunning with the sun coming up and the fog settling in the valley sections. Today I ran for 4.8 miles, but it was a good 1 hour run with warm up and cool down.. (foot pod says 4.8, I’ll have to drive it for comparison.) After eating breakfast I got to work on Disc 2, wow wow wow, I forget how intense the band work is. My goodness – Meso 1 is a butt-kicker! FWIW, I went up in weight on all the tricep exercises. I have to take tomorrow as a rest day, I need to go down the mountain to the larger town, in the next county, to have my automobile worked on. I’ll get a loaner car so I can do some shopping while I am down there.

Cathy – Birds are fascinating, what a great topic to teach and the children will gain a life-long appreciation for their habits and their seasonal patterns, as well as their individual and group dynamics. Becoming a personal trainer is a a fantastic idea. If your target market the senior crowd, the silver sneakers, you will have an infinite supply of customers and you will benefit and help many people as they age.

Heather – How is the ice-rink making progressing? Ah – you’re back to work, breaking up the day with Hiit seems like a better pick-me-up than caffeine and chocolate! Way to go!!!! Yeah, I agree, the Kickbox isn’t enough of a cardio workout on it’s own, but it makes a great add-on. OH - you posted while I was composing, so you went skating on your rink!!!??? How exciting!

Tara- If you don’t mind sharing, (or maybe you have already and I missed it) where in Europe do live? And while I am being nosy, are you a U.S citizen working in Europe or born-raised in Europe? Going to bed early so you can wake up earlier is very smart, how’s it going?

MJ – I am starting to getting worried, is everything all right???

Last edited:
Hey Everyone

I was too tired this morning so I didn't get up early. I am going to do Cardio core circuit tonight and call it a day. I did go skating though! I think I need to back off a bit and just stick to one disc a day and an extra run if I am up for it.!
Talk to you later tonight!
Heather

My energy ebbs and flows... some days I have the energy to do more than one workout, and others - well - I am happy to just get something done. I think a lot depends upon intensity. Insanity seems to take a lot out of me. Did you see my question to Cathe? Very sweet of her to answer, and it helped me to know that Hiit should probably only be done twice a week.

Heather how fun that you got to go skating!! How big is the rink?

Janis where is your question from Cathe and her answer? I missed it. I was really relieved at how well my first class went. And I was able to talk to a couple of the Moms today and got really good feedback on how their kids liked it. I'm planning to offer to have them all out to my house to do a practice bird count since we have established feeders with a lot of birds around. I'm pretty far out so I'm sure not everyone can come, but I thought it would be fun for them. Interesting to that there are twice as many boys as girls in the class, I wouldn't have expected much interest from boys in the 9-13 range.

Ok Janis I seriously need to know how you did Disk 3 and had NO DOMS, that one always totally kills me. I have absolutely no problems during the workout, no struggling to complete reps and the next day I can barely get up and down out of a chair!

Hey Everyone

I did do Cardio Core Circuit in the end and my oldest DS came in at 2nd last circuit and finished with me. It is way more fun that way. Although the backwards roll into the push-up did not go well for either of us!
That program is a sweat-fest! I am planning to do some yoga tonight to stretch things out and get ready for Disc 2 tomorrow and a run!
The rink is okay - 20 x 40 in size and the kids love it! The ice is pretty bumpy in spots but we didn't flood it again as it is supposed to warm up. I actually took my youngest to the rink today so that he could learn without all the bumps. I have to say that it is so cool for them to come home from school and be able to skate on the rink.

Janis - Your run sounded beautiful! I could picture it... there was no opportunity for a outside run here as the wind has been crazy and that makes the windchill too extreme! It is supposed to warm up soon to just over freezing so I am hoping to go outside! Sounds like you have been having some extreme weather where you are! I just read your question on the ask Cathe - that was great that you asked her that! So do you think that Insanity counts as a Hiit workout?

Cathy - I am sure that a class taught at your house would be well received! My DOMS were not bad after Disc 3 either but I had paid the week earlier from one of the the other workouts (could never peg which one). It did feel killer at the time and I was shaking as I came up the stairs!

Tara - Hope you managed to get up and fit in some Cathe! Did you get DOMS after Disc3? There has been some WW discussion on the open discussion forum about the number of points that others use when doing Cathe workouts. Just in case you are interested!

MJ- Hope you are holding up out there!

Talk to you soon
Heather

This morning I used Legs and Glutes and did the exercises I could and repeated some for a nice leg workout. Then I did KPC abs. It was the first time I've tried using the stability ball and while I skipped the full pikes at the end and stuck with roll ins, I was able to do everything else.

We're going to be going just a bit above freezing every day. Enough to melt snow, but not enough to actually notice a difference. We're supposed to go sledding next Wednesday, but it's looking like there may not be any snow left by then and there's not a single snow flurry in the extended forecast. Fine with me, as it makes driving so much easier.

Heather that's great that your son joined you in your workout. My boys are still asleep when I workout so that wouldn't happen here. That's a nice size for a backyard rink. Hopefully you'll be able to smooth it out once it gets cold again - which it undoubtedly will.

Good Morning Everyone

I got up and did my run this morning and and it was going great until two crying kids interrupted the last challenge. For some reason they have been getting up earlier and earlier... and I know I can't get up any earlier to workout!
Anyways, I got them breakfast and continued my run. It was still good. Then I just finished Disc 2. Meso 1 is so much fun. It is always new. My back is really feeling it so I did the extended stretch after and hopefully that will calm it down! It was tight last night and when I woke up it was stiff.
I am going to get my haircut today which is very unusual for me. My sister got all the diva genes but I occasionally like to get spruced up. It has gotten really long so we'll see what happens!

Cathy - I usually workout early too but yesterday by the afternoon I felt ready to do a workout... and he was interested!
Talk to you all soon
Heather

*Runs in quickly*

Hello Warriors!

I am alive and keeping up with the rotations, just been buried at work and havent really been near the computer long enough with any sort of a brain cell left to put a coherent sentence on the screen. Will catch back up with everyone this weekend. As for workouts this week, lets just say I had forgotten how sore meso 1 can make you. lol ;)

Check back tonight or tomorrow AM. I have missed all of you this week.

:cool: *runs back out*

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.