uncontrolable hunger... and a calorie count site.

ok-- perhaps my period is only a day or two away, but I can't stop.
I go thru this every once in a while, and I can understand if I have been doing alot of heavy workouts, which of course would cause the spike in my appetite, but, alas, no.
Is there a specific site that anyone would know of, that gives calorie counts? For the EXOTIC! Platanos, chicken fried rice, porterhouse steaks, , etc. I dread knowing what amount of cals I am actually ingesting.
Oh and by the way, instead of a real piece of chocolate, my new thing is the Luna bars and zone bars-- but wait, it gets worse... I smear peanut butter and low sugar jelly on top of them, and tell myself its a high protein healthy snack.

Last week I joined www.fitday.com. It's FREE! Once you sign up you click and add the foods you eat, it gives you the calories, protein and carb breakdown. You can also go under activities and add those in and it'll give you how many calories your expending. I found this site so helpful and useful! Susan

I definitely have a big appetite and have a difficult time keeping a food log. Thanks for the fitday site. :)

Hi SamanthaEve, Just want to let you know, scientifically speaking, that exercise does not make you hungry. Because sustained activity increases your body's production of noradrenaline, a hormone that is a natural appetite suppressant. Intense exercise can increase your body's nonadrenaline to as much as five times normal levels, and the appetite-suppressing effects can last for as long as six or eight hours after exercise. Being ravenously hungry after exercising is all in your mind. What this means is that eating after a workout is a choice (a bad one), not an imperative. If you are quite hungry, maybe you need to workout longer. This is a scientific fact.;-) OH, but watch your caffien intake as caffien can actually induce cravings that are often interpreted by your brain as hunger. Hope that helps.;) You could however, as a source of muscle repair, eat some form of protien after strength training. Protien helps to heal the muscle and repair the damaged tissue. :D

I have noticed this-that after an intence workout you do not feel hungry.I didnt know you were not supposed to eat right after a workout...why is this?

I don't think eating is a choice for me after my workou...

I workout early in the morning, and by the time I get breakfast, it has been over 12 hours since my last meal. I am STARVED by that time! I usually eat about 1 hour after the end of my workout, and I believe that it is a REQUIREMENT. I'm sure that if I worked out at night, after dinner, I'd not be so hungry.

PennyLaney

RE: I don't think eating is a choice for me after my workou...

No, I apologize for any misinformation I may have given, I didn't mean not to eat afterwards, just that you should not be quite hungry afterward. Yes, it's true that you should eat at least within 2 hours after a workout (an intense one) and it should also consist of some form of protien. Of course if you haven't eaten in over 8 hours and you workout, generally you will be hungry afterward. ;-) OH yeah, I meant also to say gorging after a workout, not simply eating, sorry!

RE: I don't think eating is a choice for me after my workou...

I have to disagree with science right now!! lol. I know when I've worked out alot with weights, etc. that sometimes (and not always, sometimes I get the other effect) I get VERY, VERY hungry and I know it is not in my head. Other times I do the opposite and can lose my appetite.

Kim

I went to the fitday site and tried to use it, but it didn't work for me. It didn't allow me to put in the proper amounts of foods I had eaten. It only allowed certain amounts like 1 cup and not 1/2 cup. Any suggestions? Am I using it wrong? Thanks.
Cruncholi

where you want it to say a half cup, delete where they have the number 1 and put in .5. You can also go in and "Customize" the foods: change the naming,amounts,calories etc per what you use. Susan

WOW! I must have ahd a lot of caffien when I wrote all that, ha, ha. I'm sorry, I hope nobody took offense to anything I had stated, because I meant no harm. after looking over again what I wrote, I might have been offended by my own words. I was thinking with tongue in cheek I suppose. Sorry!
On another note, omg! I checked out this really funny book from my library called "The Skinny" what every skinny woman knows about dieting (and won't tell you!)" by patricia Marx and Susan sistrom..........If you haven't read this book, it's briefly short, but well informative and extremely tongue in cheek, but so funny.....you gotta get it, check it out from your library...just for the sake of humour. A lot of it is seriously true, but so many tips that actually work, and then so many funny comments, I couldn't help but laugh. Some people won't like it unless they know before hand that it's based on a tongue in cheek sense of humor, but if you know this, it won't bother you, some of what they say. I loved this book.for example, it's written to "aunt jemima, Sara Lee, Colonel Sanders, Ben & Jerry, and Baby Ruth, of course twiggy, and OUr Moms! How funny! YOu guys have to just check it out and skim through it, it's so hilarious a twist on diet and exercise tips, and most of it true, drawn from thin woman at a luncheon. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.