Ultimate yogi and weight training

thinsgreat

Cathlete
Hello--I have been using the Ultimate Yogi series for some time now (and love it!) However, I would like to add in some weight work--any suggestions? I have thought of using weights on relaxed yoga days but realize my body would not have recovery days. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello--I have been using the Ultimate Yogi series for some time now (and love it!) However, I would like to add in some weight work--any suggestions? I have thought of using weights on relaxed yoga days but realize my body would not have recovery days. Thoughts?

I believe that Justinef has used Ultimate Yogi along with weight training. Think she used it with STS or XTrain. I'm sure using them together, would give great results. Hope she responds.

Well remembered Karen.
I did UY alongside the Xtrain 90 day rotation - but started UY after the first month. I then moved on to STS and finished up UY whist doing meso#1. It worked very well. I did Xtrain or STS in the morning and UY in the evening. It was a big time commitment, but I ended up about as shredded as it's possible for me to be! The only thing to watch out for is all the vinyasas when your shoulders have already been worked. 5 chatarunga push-ups seem like an eternity when Cathe has had you doing front raises earlier in the day! On my non-Cathe days, I did the Yin dvd, so that I had a real rest day.

At the moment I'm strength training (much lower reps than Xtrain or STS) and doing yoga every evening (almost) - but only 30-40 mins of yoga. It's feeling like a pretty good balance. The yoga I'm doing isn't all as intense as UY, although I try to mix in different 'styles' of yoga.

Thanks for the reply.... i agree, the chatarungas will kill in cardio and strength if u did shoulder work the night before...still trying to figure it out...wanting to do 3 days weights, 2 days zumba and UY daily...

Sounds like a plan to me, and balanced too. You'll know soon enough if it's just too much, in terms of energy or time, and you can make adjustments. In the meanwhile, go for it. Experimentation is the only way to figure out exactly what exercise types each of us loves and needs and how much we can take of it each week for maximum health and happiness. I say, give it a whirl.

Clare

For many years I did yoga twice a day. First thing in the morning and then again just before dinner. The late afternoon practice was followed by strength training. Both were paper workouts. I did this 6 days a week for years and was in great shape. The combination really worked for me.

I incorporate UY and/or a local yoga class on Saturday mornings or if the Cathe rotation that I am following, states rest or yoga. I will then choose the Gentle, Yin or less strenuous workouts from UY. When I start up STS this fall, I'll include UY into my recovery week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.