Ultimate New York Body Plan

kleokatra

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd see if anyone else has done this program or knows anyone who has. I have a couple of friends who have had good success with it. I'm going on vacation in about two weeks and I started this yesterday. It's a two week intensive exercise/nutrition program.

I work out 4-5 times a week to Cathe and have been pretty consistent with this for the past two months. I had been working out consistently last year for nine months like this but life happened and I fell off the workout wagon for a few months. So just the two months back at this point.

This program has specific exercises/workouts you are supposed to do with it but I am hoping to continue to do Cathe and maybe throw a Firm or two in there. It's mostly cardio, cardio sculpting, and then ab/lower body work. It's all endurance type work, nothing heavy. I was wondering if you all could help me figure out which workouts would be best for this? I have a lot of her workouts
:D so any suggestions would be appreciated! I was thinking some good ones would be ME, C&W, BC, PP, Circuit Max and then some of the shorter cardios like from CTX or premixes.

I am not the best eater and this is going to be my biggest challenge with this program but I know I can do it! I can do anything for two weeks! I ate totally clean yesterday and I must have peed a billion times!!! I've upped my water but I think it's also excess water weight going away. Did that happen to anyone else when they started eating clean?

Thanks so much for any help/advice! I apologize for being so wordy!

Kat

Kat, I think that does happen when you start eating clean. You probably aren't consuming so much sodium so you are getting rid of some water.

I have read the book. I tried it. I don't want to sound discouraging, but I could only stick to the eating part for about 3 days. I am sure you can do better. I am a big wimp when it comes to cutting out dairy and fruit. :)

Most of his exercises are totally doable, but a lot of them are absolutely impossible for me. Ex.) superman pushups, etc. I subsittuted Cathe for all of the workouts. ME, C&W, PP, CM is great for this. I did ME a lot. I think HSC would be a great substitution too. I feel that it is the same thing he is going for. On the days you add 45 minutes of cardio you can do a Cathe cardio or run, walk, whatever.

It is an intense program! I made a vegeatable soup, which was helpful when you get hungry. Just veggies and broth.

Good luck, I am sure you will do great!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Lori

Hi Kat,

I recently read his book and I have been trying to prepare myself for taking the two week "challenge". There are so many foods that you have to cut out of your diet that I thought I would cut them out one at a time. I thought that I was eating pretty clean, but realized that I had some pretty bad habits. First, was getting rid of the coffee. Around three weeks ago, I gave up coffee and starting drinking green tea instead (I only drank two cups of coffee first thing in the morning, not all day, but still...). Then, I realized that I was stopping by a co-workers desk and eating peppermints (hard candy) several times a day. I realized that by the end of the day, I was probably having ten peppermints at 20 calories a pop (2 here, 3 there). So, I figured giving up those 200 calories couldn't hurt.

As far as workouts go, I am not sure that I will be able to work out for 90 minutes per day, which is what he requires some days. I too have struggled with what workouts to use, as I primarly have only Cathe's workouts and not many Firm workouts. I am hoping with summer coming up and no homework to help my daughter with, I will have more time. I guess the new High Step Advanced workout may fit the bill. I have not been consistent with following any specific endurance or heavy weight workouts. I am still sampling a lot of the new workouts from HardCore, especially the Gym Style.

I think that my biggest weakness is clean eating, especially on weekends. Keep us posted as to when you decide to start and what workouts you decide to use! I am thinking of it more as a long-term work in progress.

Good luck! Sandra S.

Thanks for your replies!

I actually started this yesterday and, so far - so good. I thought the clean eating was going to be super hard for me. I realize I'm only one and a half days in at this point and it will get tougher, probably, because I REALLY struggle with sweets and carbs normally. But, I haven't felt hungry and I am consuming about half the calories I normally do (which was way too much, obviously). I'm one of those weird people who likes protein shakes so that part isn't hard for me. I'm switching it up a little and having the egg white snack as breakfast and having the shake after my workout mid-morning (I work mostly nights). As I said, I'm also drinking a lot more water so that helps keep me full.

Yesterday I did BC as my workout as I didn't have a lot of time. Today I did the cardio portion of CTX Kickbox and then actually tried David's cardio sculpt routine. It was pretty tough! I couldn't do all the exercises either! I did most of them, though, and then tacked on about ten minutes of my own ab work at the end. I'm hoping to lose about ten pounds with this. I only want to lose about fifteen total so...we'll see. One of my friends started this last week and lost 8 pounds her first week.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress. So far I feel great...but again, it's only been a day and a half!! I'm trying to view this as I did quitting smoking and just take it a moment at a time. That's the only way I'll be able to do it!

Kat

Excellent job Kat. I like his workout, but like I said, I couldn't do some of it. What kind of protein shakes are you drinking?

It is only 2 weeks. I guess you could view it as a trip to a fancy spa. :) I read an article in Allure. One of the Editor's did it. I think he mentions her in the book. If all the celebrities and fashion people can do it, you can too!! Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Lori

I'm using Tri Protein Powder, the chocolate flavor, of course. It's a whey protein. I want to try the Whey Gourmet when I run out of this one. It's supposed to be great! :9 I'm mixing it with a low-fat soy milk. There is still a little extra carbs in the soy milk but not too much.

So I'm two and a half days in and still peeing like crazy!! I got on the scale this morning and am down FOUR POUNDS!! Maybe it is just all the water weight, but that made me happy! I did Low Max today and tacked on his ab/core routine. That, too, was pretty tough. Especially after Low Max. :eek:

I'm still feeling satisfied hunger wise. This was especially challenging last night. I work part time at a restaurant and the chefs kept cooking extra french fries all night and putting them up for everyone to have. They rarely do this so I don't know why they had to pick last night to do it!!! I was so proud of myself for not indulging and for my dinner I ordered a grilled chicken breast with grilled asparagus and steamed broccoli. Being the crazy carb addict I normally am, this truly was an amazing feat for me!

I know I likened this to quitting smoking before but that's really what it feels like to me. I LOVE FOOD!! And the starchier, sweeter, and more fattening, the better. But I'm thinking of it as learning a new way to live. And I honestly do feel so much better physically. I swear my skin even looks clearer and more rosy today!

Thanks for your words of encouragement and support! It means a lot!
Kat

Hi Kat, I have used and belive in the David Kirch ultimate body plan. The two week program is great. the challenge is truly the meal plan. First I think it is good to use the cathe dvd's with it as it asks that you do an additional cardio workout along with the specific excercises. It truly does work, As I said it is the meal plan that is hard, but you do learn to really clean up your eating habits, and your body responds very well to this.
I did it and lost 8 pounds in two weeks and I was already an avid exerciser. so there you have it. for maintenance though I still do the NY body plan a couple of times a week but I stick with cathe for my cardio and to change it up, I'll never give up Cathe! Anie

can you get this in a bookstore or only online?
if you choose to do your own workouts with the same intensity does it still work?
What workout of his do you follow, a tape or whats in the book?
TIA

I bought it at Barnes and Noble. I think it does work if you substitute Cathe. I think it has to be an endurance workout, something with weights. He uses weights, and does seperate cardio. His weight workout uses really light weights, hardly no rest breaks, and is tough!! I think High Step Challenge, Muscle Endurance, Cardio with Weights, Supersets, PowerHour, Push Pull would all be fine substitutes. I am sure there are others I am forgetting. For the cardio portion he asks you to do you can run, do Cathe cardio DVD's, etc.

Basically it is an ABCDEF diet. No alcohol, no bread, no starch carbs, no dairy, no extra sweets, no fruit. You are eating protein from egg whites, chicken, fish, and protein shakes. Veggies, turkey bacon, and almonds, stuff like that.

I think this is a good plan if you are highly discliplined. It is tough. I am impressed if anybody can do this for 2 weeks. The eating portion in tough, and you workout every day. But it's only 2 weeks right. :)

But, I think it's not a plan to do if you are going to go hog wild after you finish, you will gain everything back in a minute. I think that's something I would do. :) I was reading it again this morning and wondering whether to do it.

For those you think it is too extreme, I think a modification would be great. Maybe adding a couple pieces of fruit, a yogurt, and half a piece of toast would make it completely doable. I think people would still see great results. I might do this. I don't want to sound like a wimp, I probably could do it, but I have the personality that if I am too strict with myself, I will eat a box of cookies and wonder what happened. :)

Kat, great job on day 2. Keep us updated!!

Lori

Thanks Lori, sounds like yet another low carb diet to me. I don't like them don't do them although I know they do work quickly. I tried a low carb diet couple summers ago. The fourth day I went to take a yoga class and as I was bending my leg into warrior right at the beggining of class and my thighs cramped and fell over in pain. I felt like such a tool walking out. My body can't do without some kind of starch, I have to include brown rice, yams and oatmeal (all good). Needless to say I didn't make it to the fifth day.....LOL. I'm glad it works for you all though! I like to read your progress.
:*

Well, Skyblu, I only could stick with it for 3 days. I just think it would work, because it is extreme. :) For the 3 days that I did it, I lost about 5 lbs. Mostly water I am sure, but like you said it is low carb.

Lori

I'm actually tracking my food intake on Fitday (as I did before I started this) and I'm still getting SOME carbs. My percentage has been averaging 17-20% carbs. I know that's not much and this is not something I thought I would ever want to do either. I definitely believe in a healthy mix of foods. However, my mix before was not as healthy as I liked so I'm viewing this as a sort of jump start to teaching me a new way of eating -- much healthier! After the two weeks you start working healthy carbs back in again. He has a maintenance nutritional program as a follow-up to the two weeks.

So far no crazy cravings for day 3!

Kat

Well, I'm on the morning of day five. The scale had more good news for me this morning -- 6.5 pounds down!! Weeee! David's cardio sculpt workout is TOUGH! I've been very sore from it and I do Cathe regularly. I think I'll keep incorporating this into my rotation at least once or twice a week after the two weeks are up. I can see my muscles in my thighs finally! Now, hopefully the belly will start to tone up a bit...:D

Here's what continues to surprise me... I'M NOT HUNGRY! What's up with that????? I've never eaten this way before so it really surprises me. I think the two protein shakes a day are what make the difference. I generally have three small meals and two shakes a day. And I discovered that the shakes I'm making have about fifteen more grams of carbs than the ones he recommends -- and I'm still losing weight, so that's good.

The only time I'm finding myself having cravings is at night the past couple of nights after I get home from work that night. I want to eat something chocolatey!! But it goes away quickly and I'm fine again. The fact that I work in a restaurant and am still sticking to this REALLY continues to amaze me! I'm not usually a stick to it kind of girl when it comes to limiting my eating in any way. Especially when I'm having to serve people brownies and chocolate cake with ice cream! But I love all the veggies I'm eating and the recipes in David's book that I've tried are all YUMMY!

So that's it for the first four days. :p I'll keep you all posted!
Kat

Kat, great work!
question I have is...are his owrkouts fron the book or on video. If on video, is it his???
Skye

I'm doing the workout from the book but he has a video/DVD with the same workout on it. It would probably be easier to follow on video rather than having to check the book for each exercise but he has laid it out so that it's easy to follow. Once you learn the exercises, he has a section that just has the exercises listed with pictures but no descriptions so you can just glance at it and know what to do next.

I saw one of my friends yesterday who just finished this and she lost fifteen pounds total AND she stopped a few days early as she was happy with that. She's still doing the maintenance program and has lost another pound just in the few days since she stopped the jumpstart portion.

I was down another pound this morning! I made David's Chicken meatballs with Tomato Red Pepper Eggplant sauce last night and it was so freakin' good!!! I even ate out for brunch yesterday and had an egg white frittata with spinach and tomatoes. I was so proud of myself for not having the cinammon sugar covered fried rolls they bring at the beginning of the meal!!!! I DO have willpower after all! :7

Kat

Thanks for the info. I heard about Kirsch years ago, I like him. I looked online for my local library catalog and did a search. His book is there as is the abs diet which is being talked about a lot on here as well. I am going to check both of them out and take a look at them first before I spend anymore money. I do like getting new recipes though.
Congrats on your brunch willpower. Oh boy.... am I a brunch/buffet girl, I like a taste of everything rather than a full plate of one thing.

Kat, great job so far! Excellent brunch willpower! Your friend's weight loss is quite an accomplishment also!! WOW! Does he lay out the maintence plan in the book? I have forgotten.

A question about protein shakes: How does yours taste?

Keep up the awesome work!!
Lori

Lori and Skye,

First off, thank you so much for your support and motivation!!! It really does help!!

Lori - I actually really like my protein shakes. I use a chocolate flavor so it's like my treat for the day. The flavor of them has never bothered me, though. I hear that the Whey Gourmet is supposed to taste fantastic. I'm going to try to order some of that as I intend to keep the shakes in my maintenance regimen. I think the shakes are one of the main reasons I don't get hungry.

He lays out the nutrition/diet part of the maintenance plan in the book to a degree. He lists more recipes but with the healthy carbs added back into the diet. I'm not sure I'll stick to this to a tee but I will definitely refer to it as a guide.

I'll check back in and let you know if there is any more to report tomorrow!

Thanks again for your encouragement, ladies!

Kat

You are welcome. Keep us updated. :)

I bought whey protein from Walmart last night. It is probably going to taste like sawdust, but I am going to give it a go. I think I am going to do a modification of Kirsch's plan, and do his workout schedule. I am going to Washington DC next week, they have a gym in the hotel. I may have to modify. I am going to clean up my diet this week. :)

Have a great workout!

Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.