Tying up long, thick hair

Timber99

Cathlete
For those with long, thick hair, what styles do you use and what clip/holder/tie do you use to put it up and make it stay put!? I don't mean a pony tail, but more something like a twist or other style.

All ideas are appreciated!

Christine - I learned to do a French twist last year and I like it for keeping the hair off the back of my neck. It's a bit fiddly, but once you get the hang of it, it works great.

There's no way I could possibly explain it so it would make sense so here's some instruction:

http://www.ehow.com/how_17116_make-french-twist.html

Sometimes I use bobby pins to secure it but if I'm feeling lazy, I just use one of those big clips (the kind you squeeze to open and they have teeth that close together) to hold it in place.

I really hope that made some sort of sense. I'm not quite awake this morning.

There are actually these cool little plastic things you can get at your local drugstore to do a french twist, & it's incredibly easy. Also, have you ever tried a topsy tail? I love that thing, you can do so many different styles with it.

Check out www.folica.com--they have a ton of really cool stuff for up dos.

I have extremely thick, curly hair and the only clip that I can use in my hair is called an Octopus clip. I do a twist (similar to what Shelley posted) & then use the Octopus clip to hold it. I can't use bobby pins or anything else as they won't hold my hair up (and I'd have to use a million of them!). I got it at Wal*mart for around $3. I have to do my hair when it's wet though otherwise it won't fit and look right. HTH!

OMG! Don't I wish I had this problem!! You all are so lucky with your long thick hair! God forgot me in the hair department I think, I have baby fine hair-my ponytail looks more like a rattail at best!:7

You all remind of those Pantene commercials, the models hair is so thick and shiny, lucky girls. Don't tie it up, let it fall down and luxuriate in it:)

My typical styles:

-The octopus clip (except I think I have a cheaper, generic version of it:p) I have too much hair for anything like a french twist but if I coil it around on the back of my head and the just clip the end I manage to keep it up for awhile.

-French braids! I've gotten way too good at them, my favorite way is to braid them with a side part so they sort of wrap around my head.

-Big, messy bun - This involves two heavy duty hair ties and bobby pins, haha.

For working out, the only thing I can do is put it all back in a braid, everything else just ends up flopping out.

>For working out, the only thing I can do is put it all back in
>a braid, everything else just ends up flopping out.

Oh, we won't even go there! My working out hair style (at home, at least) is attrocious! I pull back a pony tail and on the last "wrap" of the pony tail holder, I tuck it under so it doesn't flop around. Then, if you bangs are really on my nerves, I will throw on a head band to keep them back. It's a pretty funny vision!

Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions! I need to check out these products :)

>Oh, we won't even go there! My working out hair style (at
>home, at least) is attrocious! I pull back a pony tail and on
>the last "wrap" of the pony tail holder, I tuck it under so it
>doesn't flop around. Then, if you bangs are really on my
>nerves, I will throw on a head band to keep them back. It's a
>pretty funny vision!
>

I have long hair with bangs and layers so I am right there with you on the workout hair dilemma. I'm pretty sure that my hair has a will of it's own which means it is determined not to be on the same page as the rest of me if you know what I mean? I often do what you mentioned - pony tail with a tuck under on the last wrap. It isn't the most flattering style but it gets the job done. When I spin (at home) I get completely soaked with sweat so I put my hair in a pony tail, flip the tail part up and use a sport clip (found them at Ulta)to secure it to my head. Whenever I do this my DH says "You must be going down to spin." He actually says it with a straight face!

Rogue... I do that when I run on the treadmill at home - the ponytail flipped up and clipped. Then I gather my bangs up and clip them to the top of my head. I look a bit like one of those birds from the Muppets:p

What is the best style for avoiding hair knots? I have super long fine hair ( to my lower middle back) that I typically put in a pony tail. When I run or weight lift I have no issues but when I spin my hair knots up in the back like no tomorrow. I am tired of cutting out knots even with conditioner application and wide tooth combing. Pleasde help:)

I also used to do the French Twist a lot. The easiest way to remember is twist and tuck. Twist the hair all the way up and tuck in the ends with bobby pins. It's the best for a bad hair day. Only takes me less than 2 minutes, looks great and feels nice and cool.

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.