Turbo Fire has been redeemed

pjlippert

Cathlete
Or, I should say, Chalene has redeemed herself. I was preparing to send Turbo Fire back but something said to give one of the "EZ" workouts a try. So I did EZ45 and LOVED IT!! As many have metnioned before, there is nothing "easy" about that workout! So, I'm gonna keep it ater all!

Pam

Darn it, Pam! I was hoping for an early birthday present! LOL!

Glad you are enjoying the other DVDs in the series! There's nothing worse than feeling you just threw a lot of money away on something you don't like and aren't going to use! For me, returning stuff is such a pain when you have to do through the mail/overnight!

I hope you continue to enjoy the rest of the series!

Hi Tricia!

I'm totally with you about being terrible about returning things, which is also why I'm glad the workouts turned out to be fun!

I did notice what other people had mentioned that I found my fast moving feet falling asleep/getting numb during these workouts. I wonder why that is?? Anyone have an explanation?

Pam

Hi Tricia!

I'm totally with you about being terrible about returning things, which is also why I'm glad the workouts turned out to be fun!

I did notice what other people had mentioned that I found my fast moving feet falling asleep/getting numb during these workouts. I wonder why that is?? Anyone have an explanation?

Pam

I'm one of the people this happens to, the only other workouts that really caused this for me was Insanity. I'm going to try and find Asics sneakers, people seem to like them a lot. I have been googling it, but not finding any good reasons for why it happens, just some suggestions for changing socks, sneakers, etc.

Have you tried some minimalist shoes or even tried doing the exercises barefoot? I haven't done Insanity or TF, but if you think your shoes are causing the numbness, maybe just taking them off would help. I wear Vibram Five Fingers for weight and cardio work and Brooks Green Silence for my runs. No pain, no blisters, no numbness.

Another TF-lover here! Best fitness money I've ever spent!
I do my cardio barefoot & haven't had any issues w/ numb feet.

You know I have thought about going barefoot, but was not sure if the high impact is bad for bare feet. I think I am going to give it a shot, I suppose if I don't like it, I'll just put my sneakers on. Thanks to you both for the suggestions. I have done Ilaria's kickboxing barefoot, but that is a very low impact workout.

I should take a look at the vibram's too. I have been reading about paleo style eating lately, and they are big fans of barefoot workouts, and also mentioned the Vibram Five Finger shoes.

Thanks!

Dela

Running is high impact and barefoot running is the most natural way to go, so I don't think it should be a problem for other workouts. The VFFs are great! I even do my plyo workouts in them. If you prefer lace ups, VFF has come out with a brand new one that still has the toes, but laces like a normal sneaker. They're really cute! Not sure if they're available in the US yet.

Good luck and let me know how you make out!

You know I have thought about going barefoot, but was not sure if the high impact is bad for bare feet. I think I am going to give it a shot, I suppose if I don't like it, I'll just put my sneakers on. Thanks to you both for the suggestions. I have done Ilaria's kickboxing barefoot, but that is a very low impact workout.

I should take a look at the vibram's too. I have been reading about paleo style eating lately, and they are big fans of barefoot workouts, and also mentioned the Vibram Five Finger shoes.

Thanks!

Reviving this discussion for an update. Ok, so since I wrote this I have gone through a variety of footwear and tried barefoot. My conclusion, since this is long, is for me the best (and most surprising) shoe is the Nike Free Hyper TR Women's Training Shoe...

So barefoot, this would be my preferred method but...

I had combined some workouts with shoes, some without, and some I started with shoes, and then when my feet got too numb or painful, switched to barefoot. I have very tight calves and legs in general, so after a couple weeks of this, I ended up with very annoying pain in my left achilles tendon, it took over a week to fully go away, and I had to really reduce my intensity to allow it time to heal. So for high impact, going to have to go with shoes.

Under Armour Brand:
My favorite shoes from over 2 years ago are my UA cross trainers, Silver with pink, they are not too built up in the back, so flatter than other sneakers, and I have always done well with them, still will get pain, but not as bad with these shoes. Originally I thought because they had less cushion was the problem, so I bought an updated version of this shoe, grey/silver with red, and they are bulkier and seem to get in my way with fast moving workouts, and the foot pain is worse during the high impact stuff.

Saucony Virtue Grid:
I heard about these from the VFF board, read the reviews on Zappos.com, and based on what these people said, thought I found the Holy Grail of sneakers for high impact, comments like "I felt like I was landing on pillows" was enough for me, but unfortunately I'm just not feeling the same way. They were OK, and I can see why people like them, but I prefer my cross trainers, and luckily I found them at Dick's Sporting Goods for $40! On zappos they are around $75. Hopefully I'll find some use for these.

Nike Free Hyper TR Women's Training Shoe
Ok so these are THE shoes, and this is odd for me, because I can't stand the way Nike usually fits me. I stopped buying them over 10 years ago after so many failed attempts. But these are a whole new ball game, I assume they were made after the Nike Free Runner shoes, and with the same concept, they are extremely light, flexible and flat, they are certainly not Vibram's, but they give you a very close to barefoot feel while still having some support, that I feel I need.

My other shoes felt like they would get in my way when trying to move fast, especially when fast jumping, with the Nike's I feel like I jump higher and can keep up with the pace, I'm not tripping over them like I do with bulkier shoes.

The first couple times out I had a little foot pain, just getting used to the shoe, but I am not experiencing that anymore. And because they are so flexible, the feeling of doing lunges and feeling the bend in my foot was a little odd, but after about 3 workouts, I'm liking it better now. If nothing else, I would think these are great shoes for weight lifting.

If you are looking for a more natural fit shoe, with less shoe, take a look at this one. At Dick's they were $85, but I found a few colors on sale at footlocker.com for $60, luckily it was the color I wanted :D.

One other note, I wear a size 8 shoe for 99% of my regular shoes (very rarely even move to a size 8.5), but I needed a 9 in these, and they are not too big at all.

I'm loving TurboFire too. Chalene definitely has a way to keep people motivated, she keeps me coming back everyday for more.

Dela, thanks for the sneaker reviews, I'll be checking them out. I'm using Nike Shox (trying to copy the people in the workout) but I know they aren't the best workout shoes. :)

I just purchased the same sneaks (nike free trainer) and love love love them! they are fabulously comfy for all my favorite fitness activities - kickboxing, dance, weight training, step. they are also super cute which is not always the case with crosstrainers.

I just purchased the same sneaks (nike free trainer) and love love love them! they are fabulously comfy for all my favorite fitness activities - kickboxing, dance, weight training, step. they are also super cute which is not always the case with crosstrainers.

I know they are really cute too, I can definitely see myself wearing them out of the house too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.