True or False? Drinking too much caffeine can cause

becky v

Cathlete
fibrous lumps in your breasts. I'm sure it's true, but will simply cutting down on caffeine make them go away or do I need to completly cut caffeine out? I know how bad it can be for you, but it's an addiction.....HELP!

:) :D :* }(

>fibrous lumps in your breasts. I'm sure it's true, but will
>simply cutting down on caffeine make them go away or do I need
>to completly cut caffeine out? I know how bad it can be for
>you, but it's an addiction.....HELP!
>
>:) :D :* }(

Becky, I'll see if I can find an updated study on this, but my OB/GYN told me years ago caffeine (ANY caffeine ... by the way - not just the stuff in coffee) can cause cysts IF you are prone to developing them. It's not a certainty, so relax and ask your physician to be sure. I drink WAY too much coffee every day and have since college, and do not have any. HTH.

Carol
:)

My dr. told me to cut out caffiene & dairy. I only have one cup a day, but no way can I cut out my dairy. :-(

I was diagnosed with fibrous breasts. Anyway, about 3 years ago i started having pain full time in my breasts. I read where one woman stopped the caffeine and the pain went away. So, I did it. Lo and begold, the pain went away and has stayed away. I notice that if I start drinking too much Coke Zero, the pain starts again.

Really? Cut out dairy? I don't like milk, but I do eat lots of yogurt & such to get as much calcium as possible. Thank you everyone for the helpful info, especially the file about the effects of caffeine & coffee on women's health! This is by far the best place to post questions because eveyone is so kind!!

:) :D :) :D

ummm, I don't know, but I would be really sad if I gave up coffee. So far so good ;)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

It's just hard! I've cut down on my diet soda consumption in the week since I had my doctor appointment & I can't believe it's almost (not quite) as hard as it was to quit smoking! That was far worse for me than drinking diet soda and I did that so I can do this too!

Decreasing or eliminating caffeince (and methylxanthines)does help some women but not all according to the research and my clinical experience. Vitamins were most beneficial for my FBC (fibrocystic breast changes)... cysts would become the size of a quarter or larger premenstual... caffeine elimination minimzed the increase... vitamins eliminated the cyst enlargement completely. I was amazed. Again, individual results vary.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=4EFD0D16-EED2-4C61-B830D89A1CD5599E&si=2765

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000912.htm

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6X_Benign_Breast_Conditions_59.asp

What kind of vitamins decreased the cyst? I take prenatal vitamins, flax seed oil, calcium, iron supplements, & 2 baby asprin everday.

Carol, you aren't alone, and I LOVE evidence based practice!! :)

I'll pm you some information on it. The vitamins worked better than depriving myself of caffeine. ;) I do know I don't need the caffeine, but I like it.

>Carol, you aren't alone, and I LOVE evidence based practice!!
> :)
>
Me too! I'm the type who will find the studies and read for myself before I believe something I've read on a message board or Q&A board. There's simply too much misinformation out there.

Carol
:)

"I'm the type who will find the studies and read for myself before I believe something I've read on a message board or Q&A board. There's simply too much misinformation out there."

Me TOO!!!! I want primary resources. And you are right about the amount of misinformation... and expert opinions.
;-)

RE: True or False? Drinking too much caffeine can caus...

What an interesting topic! I had no idea there was a connection.

Carol and Autumn...great links. I'm printing some of the info as I type.

Autumn, I pm'd you. Hope you don't mind.

:) Nicole

RE: True or False? Drinking too much caffeine can caus...

I am one who has pain and lumps if I drink too much caffeine. Luckily I'm not much of a caffeine drinker. I drink very littles soda and, believe or not, I have NEVER even tasted coffee. For some reason, I just don't have an urge to try it, so I don't. I'm a medical transcriptionist who transcribes for OB/GYN docs. They are constantly telling women to cut back on caffeine because of fibrocystic breast disease.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.