Troy Lite~disappointed, please help me

kandy_rocks

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I finally placed my order for the Troy Lite bar, 1 1/4lb, 2 1/2lb, 5lb and 7 1/2lb plates. I didn't see a need for 2 sets of 2 1/2 lbs and I have the Quick Release collars.

I just got a call from fitnessfirst.com and the 1 1/4lb plates have been discontinued and are not even available from the manufacturer anymore :(

I spent so much time researching this purchase...the posts went back over 2 yrs...I made other purchases during the past 2 weeks as I had no worries about availablity....

I know I could purchase the expensive weight plates (not fair when the Troys were $3.35 for the pair...)or use plain plates....but dang it I am in the everything has to match club and I was finally going to own the Troy Lite system...

Any suggestions as to where I might find the rubber coated 1 1/4lb plates?

~kandy~who is experiencing the DDD syndrome, Depressed/Demented/DePlated

If you have a 'Play it Again Sports' store maybe you can find some there. I usually go in to see what they have and I've gotten my hex dumbbells cheaper there than anywhere else locally.

I found some and they are only $.74!!! Check this out. I didn't check the S/H so that might be where they get you. Here is the link:

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/FitnessFactory31/catalog.cfm

When the site comes up, put "rubber weight plates" into the search. For some reason when I posted the page, the link took me back to the Home Page.

I LOVE my Troy Lite and want mine to match too. Good Luck!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I just put in my info to find out the S/H. It costs 10.00 BUT it said that you have to spend at least $10.00 to place an order. (Before S/H cost) Soooo, it will cost you at least $20.00 to place an order. Do I have you confused yet?? Just thought I'd let you know. Maybe you need other sizes also???
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Well...would you really need the 1 1/4# size? I can see getting those if you're a beginner at exercising but I think most people would 'outgrow' that weight rather quickly...and to use them then as just an additional 2.5# on what ever weight you're using...that would be where the second set of the 2.5 could come into play. See what I mean? When you work out regularly...adding 2.5# won't even be noticeable...I would be more inclined to add 5# to the bar because you need to keep in mind that with a bar the weight is distributed over a greater surface...unlike dumb bells...and thus is easier to lift. Or that's my experience anyway.

I agree with this poster. I bought the Troy lite set with two sets of the 2 and half pound plates and use both sets a lot! Wait til you do PLB, you'll want to change up by those 5 pounds, courtesy of the 2 and half pound plates! Trust me!

Clare

Actually, there is a lot of value in having 1.25-lb plates to add a "mere" 2.5 lbs onto a barbell, especially when you are using the barbell for squat and lunge work either for static work or circuit work. Adding a full 5 lbs onto an already heavy barbell and then hiking this additional weight over the head and onto the shoulders over and over again can pose a real risk of strain to the shoulders and back.

One of my Bee-loved Killer Bees recently gave me a set of 1.25-lb'ers for my barbell (iron with no rubber coating) and I absolutely love 'em. I was having to tie my 1-lb handweights onto the barbell's ends with shoe laces to add an additional 2 lbs. Field expediency, as it were.

A-Jock

Yup, I also agree with A-Jock. On certain excerise you just need those 2 1/2 lb increase compare to 5lbs.

I agree with A-Jock also. I use the 1.25# plates on barbell curls when I'm trying to increase strength. Sometimes 5# is just too dang much, but 2.5# is doable.

Gee, I just bought those little things a few months ago for some bicep work. I don't really need them much though. If you use them a lot, because they're so small, they probably won't cost much wherever you may get them.

Hi everyone & thanks for your replies & suggestions :)

I may have located a source and I also believe they just might be true Troy Lite plates. Has anyone had any experience with www.Megafitness.com ? They list them at $3.35 which is the same price as previously offered by fitness1st.com however they don't say whether this is per pair or per plate? I emailed them and no response....however due to my DDD syndrome I am expecting this to be per plate and that would be $12.65 including shipping....

Also, I am a beginner at weight training and not a Spring Chickie so I believe I will make good use of these plates as small increments allow for increasing weights and that bonus feeling of accomplishment!

~kandy~

kandy-
I think they are true Troy plates! The system looks and sounds EXACTLY like the Troy system. The bar is the same length and weight as the Troy bar and the plates are rubber-encased and you get the same exact plate package I got with mine. Mega must have purchased it from Troy for use under its own name. I doubt you can go wrong with this.

Hi Kandy,

When I bought my Troy Lite I bought extra plates, including 3 pairs of 1.25 pounders. Earlier this week I was thinking that I don't need that many sets and that they will just go to waste. So if you haven't found a source, you can have one of my pairs. I'd be glad to send them to a good home!

Frankie:)

Oh my gosh!

Megafitness has not gotten back to me and no answer on their toll free number...confidence level was dipping BIG time and then I found your post!

I am reeling with JOY!

I will email you and I insist on paying you something AND postage!

What a doll you are!!

~kandy~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.