Troy Barbell Dilemma

Mishelle1

Hi Cathe and fitness friends :)

I contacted Troy barbell company to order the barbell used in the CTX series, but was told by a representative that they only sold equipment to fitness commercial enterprises. The representative was kind enough to forward me to a retail web site that offered the barbell set featured in CTX. It is called the Troy lite workout system.
http://www.fitness1st.com/Bars_and_Weight_Systems.html
I was wondering if U guys could provide me with other ideas or places to get this barbell set or similar in the East Coast. Although the set is priced reasonably, the commerce web site offering the set is in the midwest, and the shipping alone would mean not ordering fitness videos for a good four months---I don't want that, considering all the new goodies to come. Using a standard barbell feels awkward and uncomfortable to use at home. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Mishelle

Two suggestions:

1. Look for the BodyPump barbell set. I know that Walmart and Sam's Club used to sell it. I've also seen it at some sporting goods stores here in California, although I don't know about the availability at sporting goods stores on the east coast. I think the BodyPump set is supposed to be similar to the Troy, and it's not expensive.

2. Consider buying a barbell from The Firm. They make a really nice padded barbell that's 5' long. It's super comfortable for both upper and lower body work. It does not come with plates, and I wouldn't spend the money buying the plates from the Firm, either. You can buy plates that will fit it at any sporting goods store or Play it Again Sports, if you have access to them.

Good luck!

What if you just order the bar and not the weights? Since the bar only weighs 5 pounds, it shouldn't cost that much to ship. I think that regular plates should work on it (but I would be sure to ask first, just in case).

FIRM-like barbell for less...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-01 AT 10:12PM (Est)[/font][p]Mishelle,

If you decide you like the shorter padded barbell offered by the FIRM, check out this barbell at Ivanko: http://www.ivanko.com/products/prd_text/Aerobicbar.html which is pretty much identical but costs much less. It's $30 + $6 S&H. The FIRM barbell is $44.95 + I think $8 S&H, and they've been out of stock and back-ordered for some time - the FIRM is not taking any new orders for their barbell right now.

Then you can add your own weight plates, pick them up at any sporting goods store for about $0.50-$1.00/lb. Get several of the Quik-Lee collars (or EZ collars) plastic ones that slip on and off for about $8/pair.

Hope you find what you need!

Dawn P.

Thanks fitness friends !!!

Gee what great ideas you all have provided :)!! I definitely feel confident that I'll have a barbell soon. You are really the educated crowed :)
Mish

Hey, Dawn . . .

Have you actually laid eyes or hands on this one to know how it compares to the Firm barbell? I've been tempted by the Firm one for a long time, but it's so expensive. This one LOOKS the same. I'm just curious about whether or not you've actually seen it. :)

Thanks a lot!

Erin

No, I'm sorry!

Erin,

No, I haven't seen the Ivanko barbell *live*. A reader on VF named "JL" called my attention to it last week.

It looks so similar that I wouldn't be surprised if Ivanko wasn't the manufacturer or distributor of the FIRM barbell. Have you considered e-mailing them and asking them outright?

I wish you luck in learning more - as you can tell from the website, you can see the exact dimensions. Maybe someone with a FIRM barbell can measure theirs so you can compare. I know that they are both 44" long and weigh 10lbs.

Does that help?

Dawn

Thanks for the link to order the troy lite barbell. I have wanted to order it for a while. I am sure I will love it!

Please share your opinions about it when you receive it :) !!!
I'm excited to hear all about it :-jumpy
Take Care :) Mishelle
Optimist in Action

I just ordered the Troy barbell online too. It was very easy. I tried ordering the Ivanko one but kept getting the runaround and a bunch of voicemails. I can't wait to use this one. I will let you know how it is! :)

I had the same situation with Troy. I got a York barbell which I am very happy with. I went to their web site and found a seller in my area.

Thanks, Dawn!

I made some phone calls and ended up ordering the Ivanko barbell! You can't order from the 800 number on the web site. They gave me the number for the factory, who in turn gave me the number for a retailer who could order it for me. I should have it in 2 weeks! I can't wait! Here's the number and contact person, if anyone is interested:

Orthotech Sports
800-266-4967
Todd Mork

I'll report back when I get it!

Erin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.