Treadmill advice

acarolinagurl

Cathlete
Hi everyone, I'm in search of a good treadmill, but my budget is only 800. I've looked at ProForm and Livestrong. Any suggestions? I will be doing more walking and my hubs will be running.

Thanks!

We bought a Reebok brand treadmill from Costco 2-1/2 years ago for $499. My only complaint is that it's a little loud, but otherwise it works great and does everything I need it to do, regarding speed, incline, length of platform etc. We haven't had a single problem with it, and it's been used a lot.

Well, I hate the dreadmill in general, but I love mine. It's a Livestrong 10.0T, which I purchased after careful research. Very well made, 2.75 CHP motor, with lifetime warranty on the motor and frame. Treadmill Doctor rated it a best buy in its price range. I agree with the previous poster that it's a very helpful site for figuring out the machine that will best suit your fitness needs and your budget.

My Proform, purchased from Sear's over 10 years ago, is still going strong. I have never had a second of trouble out of it, and during the winter months I run 3-5 miles on it daily.

I paid $600 on sale.

Thanks everyone! I just checked out the link and I like the reviews I read on the Livestrong 10.0. Going to Dicks to check it out today, it's a little over my budget but it seems like the best fit for me and my husband for what we're going to be using it for. :)

I have a Sole F80. We love it. Lots of features, it folds up, easier to move around. We bought it new for about $1600 a few years ago.

I hate to recommend one specific model because you really need to try them out!
My husband is a daily runner and has been for years. He needed something that would work with his long stride so we had to get something a little more expensive that would work for him.
We also purchased treadmills for both sets of our parents that would only be used for walking so the track didn't need to be as long and the price was less expensive.
So....you really need to try them out!
Sue

Thanks everyone, I purchased the LiveStrong 8.0, it seemed to have everything I needed for my personal goals, and in my budget of 800.00.

Running Tech, did you have any issues with your USB port? I've read the directions and did step by step set up and get nothing! I read that I could go to the website and upload my workout that I saved, and there is no where on the page that has a section to transfer workout info. I'm so upset about this, as that was one of the features that I liked. I don't see how something with step by step instructions can be so difficult to follow. Any advice? If not, I'm taking this one back and may get a Nordic Trac.

I am able to review my info on the display screen, I also noticed that while I was doing a programed workout, I couldn't check my heartrate and I couldn't switch the display screen to show my calorie burn. When finished I was able to view Distance, Calories and time in the display screen when the workout was complete.

Thanks for any help with this. I'm going to call the support team at Livestrong before I give up completely.

Frustrated...

Back when I bought mine I never measured it or the area where it would go. On the showroom floor it didn't look like much but when the guys got it in the room and started set up I stood back with my eyes wide open and my hand over my mouth. It was HUGE! It DOMINATES the room it's in. Also, it's not something that can easily be moved so anyone looking at treadmills (or any piece of equipment) make sure it's the right size and put it where you know you'll want it for a long time. I love my NordicTrac but... Holy cow.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I purchased the LiveStrong 8.0, it seemed to have everything I needed for my personal goals, and in my budget of 800.00.

Running Tech, did you have any issues with your USB port? I've read the directions and did step by step set up and get nothing! I read that I could go to the website and upload my workout that I saved, and there is no where on the page that has a section to transfer workout info. I'm so upset about this, as that was one of the features that I liked. I don't see how something with step by step instructions can be so difficult to follow. Any advice? If not, I'm taking this one back and may get a Nordic Trac.

I am able to review my info on the display screen, I also noticed that while I was doing a programed workout, I couldn't check my heartrate and I couldn't switch the display screen to show my calorie burn. When finished I was able to view Distance, Calories and time in the display screen when the workout was complete.

Thanks for any help with this. I'm going to call the support team at Livestrong before I give up completely.

Frustrated...

Sandy,

Whoops! I got my model # wrong, sorry. I have the 9.9T, not the 10. Everything's the same except my model doesn't have the USB port. Good luck with calling tech support! I hope you get it working.

Hi Running Tech,

I got it working, but now I'm having issues with the plastic of the machine rubbing the belt when it inclines and when I have it one a fast speed. I'm taking it back and looking at another model.

Dicks, said I would have 30 days and I'm not happy with it, now I'm scared I'm going to or could get another treadmill with malfunctions. :(

I do appreciate everyone's feed back, and I didn't see that model that you got. Maybe I should get an eliptical?

Oh no, sorry it appears you received a lemon.

The 10T replaced the 9.9. Except for the USB port, everything else is the same. I ordered directly from Livestrong and have had no issues whatsoever with mine.

I also have an elliptical, and while I love it for great, no-impact workouts, it doesn't really substitute for running.

Good luck!

I bought my treadmill at a garage sale for $40. I looked the retail up on line and found out that the treadmill retails for $399. It is in excellent like new condition, the lady said that it had only been used for one week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.