TransFIRMer???

bernajo

Cathlete
The FIRM is coming out with a new piece of equipment...and that's the name of it!?!?! Well, I believe different strokes for different folks - but I am so happy to have discovered Cathe who develops challenging, tough workouts using equipment that we already have (or at least aren't embarrassed to tell our friends we own)

I know - doesn't it make you sick!

What's worse that the name of this piece of equipment (how corny can you get?) is the fact that The Firm is requiring people to once again buy another huge piece of equipment because it's just different enough from previous equipment that you can't do the new workouts without it. ARGH! As I do not have endless storage space for Fanny Lifters, Firm Boxes and Transfirmers, I will not be purchasing BSS4. They have lost me as a customer - I am crossing over into Cathe where I can use the equipment I already have. :)

>I will not be purchasing BSS4. They have
>lost me as a customer - I am crossing over into Cathe where I
>can use the equipment I already have. :)

I may be right their with you :) I LOVE The Firm, have always enjoyed doing the tapes, and enjoying the workout is 1/2 the battle with me :) But after purchasing my last DVD and getting Nada on customer service when some issues arrived with the DVD I'm just about ready to toss them to the wind.

I haven't gotten my first Cathe video yet but I'm trying to read all about them and pick the best one for my situation right now. If anyone has a GREAT suggestion on how to start out with Cathe videos I'd be appreciative :) I like Taebo type workouts, lots of kicking and throwing out that frustration. But I want something to make me sweat and burn that lower body (abs, buns and thighs).

Glad to have found this board....maybe there is life after The Firm :)

I am right there with you guys. I lov(ed) the FIRM too - Vol 1, Parts, and Tortoise and Hare kept me in shape all through college and beyond. I still work Standing Legs into my rotation today - ouchee!! - but this new stuff from GoodTimes, um, leaves something to be desired. Nonetheless, I continued to order for the sake of having variety and in the off chance that I'll learn something new and effective - BSS1 (well, OK) BSS2 (a stick?? why not just a barbell?? and is it just me or did the instructors all look like they GAINED weight since BSS1??), and finally BSS3. That is when I gave up. After numerous calls to cust. serv. and 3 replacement boxes, I finally own one that doesn't slide, crack in the middle and the legs unfold - but do I really want it???

I'll make use of the ones I have that I can tolerate - but I won't be ordering more. Now if Cathe comes out with a new series...YEAH BABY!!

PS - What do you think would happen if the FIRM instructors attempted to do a Cathe workout??? }(

Rsegrwr,

I graduated from the FIRM to Cathe a little over a year ago. I started with the Intensity Series. I gradually added more as time passed.

I especially loved PUB and PLB because it included moves similar to the ones I'd learned in the FIRM, but the intensity was increased tremendously. I got great results from the pyramid technique, but then again, I always have, even in the gym. Also, if you've been doing mainly total body workouts (like most of the FIRMs are) a double split - upper body one day and lower body another day - is a good way to progress.

I couldn't do Cathe step workouts at first (even though adv. step was my primary cardio "sport" ;-)in high school ), but eventually my feet started doing what my brain told it too, and it got easier. In the meantime, I supplemented FIRM cardio to get all my time in.

I'm sure you will love what the Cathe workouts do for you - your muscles will wake up in whole new ways!!

>I am right there with you guys. I lov(ed) the FIRM too - Vol
>1, Parts, and Tortoise and Hare kept me in shape all through
>college and beyond. I still work Standing Legs into my
>rotation today - ouchee!!

I agree with your post 100% The FIRM is what got me started working out at home in 1989!! (Volume 3!) But lately their stuff stinks IMHO, but I still do Standing Legs now and then, and it is still a burner!! Funny how they have to make a compilation workout to equal one of Cathe's leg workouts!!!:) :)

>>I still do Standing Legs now and then,
>and it is still a burner!! Funny how they have to make a
>compilation workout to equal one of Cathe's leg workouts!!!:)
>:)

So True!! But for some reason, I feel the hover squats in Jane's last set more than I have felt thigh burn on ANY video. WOW! Just thinking about it makes me wince x(

That is what really turned me off about "The Firm". I tried one of their workouts and I was like okay I do not have a fanny lifter, a sculpting stick or any Firm exclusive peice of equipment. All I have is a few general peices of equipment and the desire to work out. I tried using just a regular step but it did not seem to work out to well.

Hi Folks

It is so funny to see these messages. I heard about the FIRM about 2 years ago. I was really excited at that time. Those workouts were the first videos that were geared towards more hard core fitness enthusiasts. (not like your Denise Austin - more beginner-oriented videos). The Firm in the past few years have gotten shorter and more beginner-oriented. The equipment changes, that too has been an issue for me.

I found out about Cathe while watching FitTV while I was pregnant. Even though her workout routines were quite intense, I enjoyed working them (moderately) while pregnant and moved to higher intensity after my daughter was born. Her routines are the best, hand's down in the market. Too bad on the FIRM. They really were good. I still do some of the older ones. I think the best FIRM video is Super Sculpting (I believe that is the name).

Cheers

;-)

I still have a place for my firm workouts-I made the mistake once of thinking I was to advanced and gave them away:eek: I discovered I could still get a good workout by upping the wts and intensity(if I were truley advanced that would have dawned on me).I love bss3 and since I bought my dvd's from walmart without the incline box I will probaly buy the set and give my fanny lifter to my sister(the firm is all she likes to do).I really don't have a problem with the name-nor with max being used in cathe workout titles LOL:)

One other thing I would add. The FIRM was what educated me first on the Fanny lifter. That has been really effective. Had I not been doing it for so long with the FIRM, I probably would not be able to do Cathe's without encountering more difficulty ;)

Ah, yes, the "TRANSFIRMER." Sounds like a joke, doesn't it? Whenever I see that name, I can't help but imagine a buff robot that transforms into a step, a "fanny lifter" and whatever else you need. Whoever named it must have watched a lot of Japanese cartoons in the 80's!

So true - actually the FIRM started with just a "box" made of wood, either 14" or 10" tall based on your height. Goodtimes coined the term "fanny lifter". I think the leg press ranks up there as one of the best home exercises of all times!

I think the important message here is that Good Times took the FIRM do a lower intensity/shorter duration style workout and introduced it to so many new people that probably wouldn't be lifting otherwise. Just so sad they feel they have to keep reinventing new equipment to get more sales instead of building on what their customers already have. Just my two cents.

After all the problems with the Firm Box I can't imagine buying another piece of junky equipment from them. Atleast Cathe focuses on the workouts and uses regular workout equipment and a regular well made step. I'm also glad Anna Benson is coming out with the re-made Fitprimes and Kickbutts so there's still something Firm like around.

>
>PS - What do you think would happen if the FIRM instructors
>attempted to do a Cathe workout??? }(

:p That's too funny!! They'd probably do what I did during my first Cathe workout... I think my words to Cathe were, "Awww, come on, lady!!" I was sooo whooped!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.