Total body weights vs STS

kimyenchu

Cathlete
Hello all,

I am in two minds about whether or not I should purchase STS. I find that lately, I prefer to do total body workouts that allows me to weight train once or twice a week. I have been using MM and MIS mostly and will incorporate ME and PH for variety. I find that with MM & MIS I can strength train if I load up on the weights. I don't seem to have enough time to devote to split training.

I am wondering if Cathe will be producing more total body workouts geared towards strength training in the future? I think I might save up my money for those instead.

Yen

Actually one of things holding me back is that I do heavy total body (minus core) weights twice weekly and skip the filler in most 60 minute workouts. Hitting body parts once a week is not building the muscle mass that I am looking for (I'm tall so I have to work a little harder to build noticeable muscle). So while these vids would be really awesome to have I am not sure they are going to get me where I want to go at this point.....(but I really, really want them...LOL!)

Hello Beavs,

I agree with you, it's sooooo hard to resist temptation. I know that I would use STS if I buy it, but I seem to favour total body weights workouts because sometimes I can get in two training session a week, which is more than I can when I do splits. And if I use the heaviest weights possible I still achieve strength gains.

Looking at the pictures on the blog, there are lots of new exercises in this series, and I am wondering if I could incorporate some of them to my training - I feel like buying the series just for the sake of educating myself on weight training.

When you say 'skip the filler', what did you mean? Do you mean the warm up and cool down?

Yen

I am getting the STS for the fact that I LOVE to weight train and I like the fact that Cathe will map out a plan for us for the next 3 1/2 months.....I find it hard to adjust my routine to challenge my muscles....actually I don't like trying to come up with new ways to rotate my DVD's. Right now I lift either one body part a day or 2 body parts thus lifting 3 times a week and then at the end of the week I throw in a total body weight lifting DVD. So I like these new DVD's because everything is set out for me....just like having a personal trainer!!! :)

Hi Yen. Keeping the warm up and stretch is a must! :)
What I mean is doing exercises such as band work. They are awesome exercises when you are trying to get the more cut look but I am working my muscles to failure doing about three sets of exercises for each body part. So by the end of an hour or so, I am quite tired and have some nice DOMS the next day and hopefully in a few months I will a noticeable increase in muscle mass (so far I'm seeing little changes which is good). I'm just torn because as much as I want STS it just doesn't fit in my with my current program.

Hi Madison,

I have the same mindset as you. I really enjoy weight training but am not all that creative when it comes to putting together the right mix to keep challenging myself. I like the idea of having a 3+ month routine so I won't have to try and come up with a good mix. Do you follow any of Cathe's rotations? I pre-ordered STS over the weekend and can't wait to dive in:)

Trish

I'm not too creative either but I do keep a binder and tear out pages from Oxygen, Muscle & Fitness Hers, to name a few and get ideas to design my own program with or without machines. I have found a few total body programs I have used to freshen things up a bit. I'll really be fired up when there is an MP3 version of STS for me to use at the gym :p

Hi Beavs,

Funny you mention those magazines. I am trying to decide whether or not to subscribe to either of these. Can you give me your opinion on them? I'm hoping to find a magazine that will offer great exercise tips, diet recommendations, and just serve as an additional source of knowledge. I also ordered a couple of books based on some of the other posts - NROLW & Ab Diet for Women. Although I've been working out with Cathe dvds for about 2 years, I still feel like a newbie to this whole thing! :eek:

Trish

Hi Stepitup---Seems like we are the same huh?! Yes I did follow some of Cathe's monthly rotations that she puts out but then I wanted to focus more on weight lifting and just did whatever of her other DVD's for cardio and that is when I started rotating Muscle Max, Upper Body Pyramid, 4 day split and the Gym Style workouts!!! But I am SO looking forward to STS.:)

Hi Trish. I started subscribing to Oxygen, Muscle & Fitness Hers and OnFitness based on the recommendation of posters in this forum and I have to agree they are very good fitness rags. Oxygen has far too much supplement crappola for my taste but the exercises and and ideas I get from it outweigh the cheesiness. BTW, I do also highly recommend finding yourself the right personal trainer (if you can afford it...they can be pricey). I touch base with mine about every six to eight weeks (which is all I can afford!). She has helped keep me on the right path for me. You will find there is sooooo much information out there between literature and postings from sometimes self proclaimed experts in the forums here and it is nice to work with someone who knows you and your goals and can help you weed out all the "excess" info. Good luck :)

Hi Yen,
I'm in the same boat. I like to train my total body twice a week, sometimes I get an extra day in for weights(like if the weather is bad and I can't get outside). I like to do cardio outside when possible. I usually do full body weights on Mon. and Fri. and every now and then I'll toss in a circuit on Wed.

I'm also worried that STS will not work with my routine. I don't want to do weights daily, and I don't always like being tied to a set program.

I've ALWAYS pre-ordered Cathe's workouts, but I'm worried about this one not fitting my needs.

What have you decided?

Hi Jul--
I think you would be OK with this workout (STS) cuz you only lift weights 3 times a week and can do your cardio on the other days of the week....I actually think that Cathe suggests doing the cardio on another day. I like it because it seems pretty simple and actually not much differnt than what I am doing now...just new exercises and different twists on those exercises and all planned and mapped out so my muscles that I am trying to build and cut won't plateau!! Plus I am really looking forward to some new ab exercises!!

Hi Madison,
Well - I'll soon find out - I just caved and ordered it. I pretty much love everything Cathe creates, so I'm sure it will be used plenty. Thanks for your response!
Take care!

Thanks Beaves! I think I will order at least one mag to start. I also have worked with personal trainers in the past and always saw GREAT results. Definitely worth every dime. I am hoping to achieve my goals on my own (and with Cathe of course!) after having my second daughter last year. I am seeing really good results, but it is taking longer than expected to get the flab off the belly:( I guess that is always a challenging area.

Trish

Madison,

I also do the GS series (gotta love the leg workout), MM and just started doing push pull (3 sets for upper or lower) and supersets. I ordered 4DS with STS so I'm hoping that arrives shortly. It looks very challenging but I figured that's what I need to get me ready for STS:)

Trish

Hello Jul,

I have not pre-ordered this series and I don't think I will because it does mean tying myself to a 3.5 months continuous training. I tend to do what I feel like than rather follow a rotation, as long as I get in the right balance of cardios and weights. I do find it difficult sometimes to stick to the 3 day split routines like GS, Slow & Heavy.

I haven't found that I gain much strength by doing the splits, to be honest. I have gained more strength doing MM & MIS and heavying up on the weights or training with 2 day split and 1 day total body. This seems to work really well for me.

I am very tempted by STS and I know that if I buy it would not go to waste, but I would do it because of the fact that I spent money on it rather than it helping me to achieve my fitness goals.

I hope Cathe will produce a heavy style 2 day split like Pyramids or total body in the future.

Yen

Yen,
You took the words right out of my mouth. I haven't preordered for the same reasons. You are not alone!!

Wow. I'm just the opposite. Full body got me nowhere but the 3-day split has gotten me started on the results of my dreams. I do work lower body twice weekly and core three times (back trouble) but it's still, technically, a split workout. I find I work each muscle group harder this way. I was actually shocked I got better results working out LESS often. Everyone's different.

Guess what? I pre-ordered, that's right I just did it!! This is sooo not good. You know what it was? I was thinking that I have done all the workouts and know them so well, maybe I need fresh ones to spice up my workouts. And when converted to British pounds, they were cheaper than I expected.

They will be my ONLY workout DVD purchase for this year. I hope they are worth it.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.