torn meniscus

KarenL

Cathlete
I recently tore my meniscus and am going to have scope surgery. Has anyone had this surgery and if so, can you please tell me what to expect? How long is the recovery? When did you start working out again? Can you still work your upper body and core while you are recovering? How long were you out of work?

Any information will be most appreciated!!!!! Thank you so much!

Karen

Ouch! I tore my left one and had it fixed back in 2008. I also had a lateral release done at the same time, to help fix ongoing issues. Because I had 2 things done at once, I can't really comment on just the one procedure.

I can say the outside of my leg hurt like !(#*$&!@(@ from the lateral release but the inside where the meniscus fix was done was only a little achey. During rehab after, again the lateral release part hurt pretty dang bad, but the meniscus never did more than ache.

I was on my feet the same day, wrapped up tight as a sausage, but I was up. No crutches allowed.

A coworker, who is older, had hers done last winter, and was off work for 2 weeks. I had mine done on Thursday, could've been back on Friday, but didn't go back until Monday.

As for exercise, I was walking right away, started slow and short (around the block) but my thigh hurt like crazy from the release. I could do upper right away. I was back into low impact at about 4 weeks. And I started doing weights as soon as the therapist had me doing weights there. Started light, and took a couple months to get back where I was. It was probably 6 or so weeks until I was back to easy step and careful kickboxing. Then I just added intensity based on how I was feeling. Probably took 6 months for all the aches to go away, and it will still be fussy on occasion, especially if the weather is icky. But all in all it's pretty good.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I guess it depends on you, your doctor, your pain tolerance, and your healing speed.

I think it will be relatively painless and a quick heal. Like I said, it wasn't the meniscus part that hurt to fix.

Best of luck!

Nan

Karen, just wanted to say Good Luck & best wishes for your surgery and hoping you heal quickly without too much pain! Thinking of you! The LIS will be a great way to bounce back!

Sent from my iPad using CatheForum

I recently tore my meniscus and am going to have scope surgery. Has anyone had this surgery and if so, can you please tell me what to expect? How long is the recovery? When did you start working out again? Can you still work your upper body and core while you are recovering? How long were you out of work?

Any information will be most appreciated!!!!! Thank you so much!

Karen

I had both of my Meniscus' (or is it Menisci?) partially removed in 2009 & 2010. I still have issues with them and my knees are still sensitive and swell. My Dr said within 12 weeks I would be back to normal, but it took 6 months for me to resume my "normal" activities. The hardest part for me was putting any weight on them when I was on the floor. For example if you were kneeling on the hardwood floor building something, gardening, or just anything that your knee came into contact with a hard surface was almost unbearable. I started walking for exercise again after 3 weeks but within 6 I could do it more regularly. Oddly enough I had no issues right after the surgery, no pain and I took no meds for it. I was up cooking a large family dinner that night and putting weight on it. It was the surgical "scars" that had so much sensitivity. Even after 6 months they were sore spots. A tear is probably not as bad as removing a portion of it so you may not have as many issues or as long of down time with your recovery.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses and well wishes. I miss working out with Cathe every morning!!!! I meet with the surgeon in a couple of weeks. Hopefully my recovery will be quick. I cannot wait to work out to this new series!

Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.