Tofu Chocolate Mousse Recipe

Teals

Cathlete
Hello,

Here is the Chocolate Mousse Recipe I mentioned in the "Ask Cathe" forum with the subject, Eating Disorder. I'll post the basic recipe here. I have notes that I emailed to others who requested the recipe that will be helpful. Too long to put here though. I saved it as a PDF(adobe acrobat)file. Anyone interested should email me or request it here and i'll send it to you. Enjoy!

Chocolate Tofu Mousse
Ingredients:
1 package of silken tofu (16oz) - (Not the same as soft. Must say silken. This is important.)
10 oz chocolate chips (preferably barley sweetened) -
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (not the fake stuff)
optional: lite cookie crust (recipe below)

Directions:

Blend tofu in food processor (or blender) just until smooth. Melt chips over double boiler. Add maple syrup to melted chocolate and combine. Put chocolate & syrup blend into processor and mix with tofu until creamy.

Optional: put into a cookie crust. Chill for at least one hour. (2 Recipes below)
Optional: Spoon into 6 small dishes and chill for 1 hour. Top with fruit.

Serves: 6
Preparation time: 10 minutes

Some like to top this with fruit (optional). I know someone who subbed the chocolate with dark chocolate slim fast. They said the results were great. I haven't tried it but feel free to experiment. I sometimes add one of those little shot bottles of orange or caramel liquer.
Ingredients :
1/2 cup melted non-hydrogenated margarine

1-1/4 cups Low Fat Chocolate Cookie Crumbs.
(I use crushed Trader Joes Low Fat Chocolatey Cats Cookies. I like them because they don't contain hydrogenated oils, preservatives, artificial flavors or colors.)

3 tbsps. Sugar

Preheat oven to 350

Directions:

Mix together and press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 minutes. Chill before filling with pie mixture.

Version 2 - No Added Fat or sugar
Cookie Crust:
Ingredients :
Lite Vegetable Oil Cooking Spray (like Pam)
2 cups Low Fat Chocolate Cookie Crumbs.
1 large egg white
1 tbsps. Sugar Substitute (optional)

Preheat Oven to 350

Directions:

Spray 10 inch (9 inch okay) round pie pan 3 times with the vegetable oil spray to coat. Put all the remaining ingredients for the crust in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 5 times. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly, spreading the crumb crust until is it covers the bottom and sides evenly. Bake for about to minutes. (You may need to adjust the time for this.)

I was afraid of Tofu as well. This got me over that fear. As long as you use silken tofu, you will be happy with the results. You may want to play around with the amount of maple syrup you put in. Those who don't like sweets may find it a little too sweet. It was fine for me though. The biggest endorsement would be that my husband enjoys it. I didn't tell him it was made from tofu until after he ate some.

Here are a few comments I'm pasting in from other who have tried the recipe (not people from Cathe's forum though):

I am not a huge fan of tofu (must be an acquired taste) but I was so elated by the results! I added strawberries but no crust--I thought it would detract from the taste. Simply decadent...rich and thick.
ariel

This is an excellent recipe! I find that it is better to add the maple syrup to the tofu, rather than the chocolate, as that makes the chocolate harder to mix in. Also, the ammount of chocolate can be varied greatly for a richer or lighter dessert.
Erin

This is just Fabulous! Delicious! Anyway, sometimes I try new variations such as using white chocolate instead of dark chocolate, or putting the fruit directly into the mixture to make a less rich, but just as tasty dessert. - Genevieve

The choc. tofu mousse went down very well as a Christmas dessert. We DID add the vanilla, and like it that way. We also tried it out as an icing substitute on a cake, and it was fine.
David

Adding the chocolate to the tofu made for better mixing. It was fabulous as a party desert for non-veggies joining us. They wouldn't believe it had no eggs. Thanks.
Maggie

This was really delicious! My dairy-loving family gobbled the stuff up! I went with a graham cracker crust and made some raspberry sauce to put on top...mmmmmmmm! I'm thinking I may try a chocolate-peanut butter version in the future if I ever have cravings for my now off-limits favorite candy, Reese's PB cups. Hey, maybe I could make a crust with chocolate Frookwiches?
Krista

This was absolutely wonderful!! Is there a Silken Tofu that is 16 oz.? I used the 12.3 oz. and it worked fine. Also used 1 tsp. vanilla. Perfect for non-vegan guests, they'll never have a clue. Very fancy also!
Sandy

I hope you enjoy it Jordan!

I noticed I put "barley sweetened" chocolate which should have said, "barely sweetened". FYI, I use one package of semi sweet chocolate chips (i like the ones from Trader Joes)and one 2 oz. Bar of 60% Dark Chocolate.

One more thing... Some people said they melted the chocolate in the microwave with no problem. I haven't tried to do that yet.

Let me know what you think of this lite dessert.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.