TOE SPASM'S

ABC123

HI EVERYONE. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS TOE SPASMS WHEN THEY ARE STRETCHING. I HAVE ASKED FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND EVERYONE LOOKS AT ME LIKE I AM CRAZY. BUT SOMETIMES WHEN I AM STRETCHING MY LEGS MY TOES START TO PULL UP AND IT HURTS. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS OR HOW TO PREVENT THIS.

CHRISTINA

Hi, Christina,
My big toe on my right foot is always sore. It feels like it has to be cracked in place. Sometimes it is hard to do lunges I can't place my foot right. Anyway I use a sports cream and rub it. heat and ice. I seldom wear heels because the next day is painful.
Pay attention to how your foot is placed when stretching you might be crunching you toes and not realizing it.

Susan

I have the same problem. I have to be real careful how I position my toes when I stretch. I've had them cramp up from lying on my stomach in bed with the front of my feet flattened out. Sometimes, my toes will cramp up like that while I'm doing cardio too. I notice it happens more when I'm not eating like I should and when the weather is cold. Someone also told me that it's from not getting enough water.

I have toe cramps and toe spasms a lot. My Pilates instructor has recommended a couple of exercises to strengthen the muscles and ligaments in my feet - toes can cramp because you're trying to hold a position that the muscles can't support for a long time (like flexing your feet, or pointing your toes).

A few exercises to practice:

- Try picking up a pencil or pen with your toes.

- Massage the soles of your feet, from top of the heel to toes, on a foot roller/foot massager. They're usually made of wood, about 8" long and are grooved. Or you can try rolling your foot back and forth, heel to toe, over a can.

- Use a resistance band (the thick rubber-bandy kind) for this exercise. Sit on the floor with your leg extended straight in front of you, other leg bent at the knee with the sole of the foot resting on the inside of the extended leg (like you're going to do a seated hamstring stretch). Loop the resistance band around the extended foot's toes. First flex your toes and foot, then extend them towards the floor while gradually moving your foot from a flexed to an arched position. Curve your foot back up, gradually moving from an arched to a flexed position. Do this a few times, then reverse the exercise - start with your feet relaxed, arch your toes as you dive your foot towards the floor, then bring it back up in a flexed position. Switch legs and repeat on other foot.

Allison

Hi Christina,

I've had toe spasms in the past. When they happen, it's usually my third and fourth toes. For me, it generally coincides with wearing dress shoes more than usual - hard sole, higher heel, not much support.

Those spasms hurt like a bugger. HTH.

I don't have an answer but just wanted to comment that this forum is reserved for questions specifically directed to Cathe. There is another forum for questions to the general viewing audience. This reduces the number of posts Cathe has to view.

FIRST OF ALL THANX TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED. SECONDLY I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE SPECIFICALLY ASKED CATHE BUT DIDN'T THINK THE FORUM WAS SO TOUCHY ABOUT THIS, BECAUSE I AM INTERESTED IN WHAT SHE HAS TO SAY ABOUT THIS. SO I GUESS I AM HOPING THAT CATHE CAN HELP ME OUT WITH THIS.

CHRISTINA

Hi Christina,
AllisonT has given you some excellent advice. I have had toe and foot spasms since breaking my left foot in 2002 and I find the exercises Allison cited plus my yoga practice (especially yoga) to be very beneficial. Check out this article on foot problems from yogajournal.com: http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/583_1.cfm - it's not exactly specific to your problem but it may help if you are having other foot issues or other issues because of your foot.

Hope you find some relief soon!
ATB,
- Lisa :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.