Tight traps. Any suggestion for stretching.

Calendar Girl

Cathlete
I have problems with my trapezius muscles getting very tight. I do get regular massages to help loosen them up but I really need to find some stretches that will help loosen this area up. I'm tight to the point where I'm having trouble getting my arms in the rack position for lifts. I have Stretch Max - Routine 1 which I am going to start adding into my exercise routine but I wondered if there was any other stretch type workout that you could recommend that I add in. Thank you for any help/suggestions.

Deb

Hi Deb,
Man, I hear ya' and feel your pain. I get knots and sometimes it's incredibly tight.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things... make sure you stretch every muscle in your upper body since they all get tight and pull on each other and the ligaments.

Foam Roller (or a Rumble Roller which is what I use on my upper back), and Epsom salt baths.

In addition, try rolling on a tennis ball. I use a dryer ball while I'm driving; I place it between my back and the seat and lean into it. Since I'm in traffic quite a bit this has been very helpful for me.

Also, what about a chiropractor in case you don't already go to one; sometimes the disk joints get out of place and push on the ligaments and strain the muscles.

Finally, internet research for traps stretching.
Good Luck!

I second the foam roller and the chiropractor. My chiro always needs to loosen up my spine near my traps. It truly makes a difference and I am able to move much more freely. I especially "need" a chiro fix after a heavy back workout.

I hope you find something that works for you. Our bodies are unique, and I know there is a method out there that will loosen up that tightness.

Also you might try icing your traps after a tough workout to get out the inflammation and let them calm down before you warm them up to stretch them. And of course I can't say enough about how yoga helps tight traps! So many great poses have helped alleviate my tight traps!

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Jennifer, I do the tennis ball and dryer ball at work. I tried the foam roller but didn't have a lot of luck with it in this area but will try it again. Bonjonbart, I haven't tried a chiro yet but I may look into that if things don't decide to loosen up. JodelleFitzh20, I think yoga may be one of the best solutions for me and I think it may help in a lot of other areas too. Looks like I'm be signing up for a class.

Deb

I have this also!! No matter what I do, I just can't seem to get that area stretched. I usually make my DH give me like a three minute massage of this area to get some of the knots out. It's not the best option because he travels for a living and isn't always here, but when he's home it helps a bunch. There is also a $10 massage place in the mall that does just the upper shoulder and neck area. If I'm really bad off, I will take this option even though it feels incredible expensive(if I were to do it weekly or something like that, which I don't).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.