Thyroid and Selenium

Thanks Sandra. I will have to pass this info on to my sister she has graves disease. I know she taks calcium/vit d however she hasn't had her levels checked.

Lori:cool:

Thyroid is such a tricky thing to work with. My TSH used to be around 3 but now I hover at .2 I'm not on any meds but I do take oils and some herbs for my PCO. I wonder if those were the effectors or if it was something else. I know iodine improves thyroid function if thyroid function is low. This whole thread has been very interesting.

Btw, Thanks Kathryn, I did not know that about the brazil nuts. I love those!

Oops: a correction. Actually HALF a large Brazil nut will provide almost the daily requirement of selenium. Cool, huh?

Oops: a correction. Actually HALF a large Brazil nut will provide almost the daily requirement of selenium. Cool, huh?

Yes, thank you Kathryn. I really do not like taking supplements, preferring to get vitamins and minerals from the food I eat. I have substituted Brazil Nuts for the selenium in pill form, and am sure that I will also benefit from the other stuff the nuts provide.

If only I could stomach a Brazil nut...that is one that I do not like to eat. Oh well. :(

On another note - does anyone know why we can't have walnuts on Synthroid? I need to look that up. My pharmacy paperwork always reads to not consume walnuts while taking Synthroid.

Clarissa

Stupid ? but where can you find the Brazil nut. I looked at one grocery store and couldn't find them.

Stupid ? but where can you find the Brazil nut. I looked at one grocery store and couldn't find them.

Not sure. I have only had them during the holidays at parties in nut assortment trays. I do not care for them at all. Sorry - I didn't help you at all! :( Good luck!

Just keep looking- often grocery or health food stores have Brazil nuts in bulk. Clarissa, try them warm, lightly toasted with a bit of an oil you like and some salt - OMG - freakin' impossible to stop eating!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.