Thoughts about going for time or distance

Biteset

Cathlete
(this is a LONG post...WARNING)

I used to go jogging on a track. Sometimes I would use distance markers as my goal: for example, jog half a lap, then walk a quarter, repeat 4 times. Other times I would use my stop-watch for goal-setting: run 10 minutes, walk a bit, run 10 more, and so on.

Or, run really hard to that tree -- or -- run really hard for 2 minutes.

So either I'm pushing for some kind of predetermined distance, or for a predetermined time. I don't generally switch these mini-goals as I'm doing them. I don't feel flexible enough for that.

Yesterday I was out for a jog with my husband (and kids in double jogging stroller). My personal goal was to log 30 minutes. As we were about three or four minutes away from that, we were also approaching a logical stopping location (the playground where my kids wanted to play).

My husband kept saying "c'mon Gisela, run it in!" Meaning, sprint. Then he pointed out a tree and suggested I step up my pace and sprint to that tree.

By this point I was happy to just STILL BE RUNNING...and again, I was fixated on 30 minutes--not the stopping place. I couldn't get myself to switch goals and sprint. Couldn't switch from *steady state for 30 minutes* to *sprint the last part of the run*.

Am I just really inflexible?

I got to thinking about how Cathe's cardio videos beautifully combine going for time and distance. Often, as I'm about to DIE (thanks Cathe), I watch the counter on my DVD player, and watching the last few minutes count down helps me keep going. But ALSO--knowing where I am in a step combo helps as well--I know "8 more lunges on this side, 4 side-ups, 2 richochets", etc. For me, completing a step combo is much like completing half a lap at the track.

So I can switch between fixing my mind on finishing a SECTION--or--finishing 10 minutes. I can think about it both ways, and it helps me just plain FINISH. Whereas when I'm out for a jog, it seems to mess with my head more, if I switch between time or distance.

Well, this may not have made any sense. Hope I didn't ruin anyone's coffee break, lol!

Gisela

I understand. I can remain inflexible when I am training to reach some goal, and at the moment it is increasing my distance/time spent actually running and cutting down the walking intervals. However, within that, once I know that I can accomplish a certain distance/time spent running because I have already achieved it say 2 or 3 times, then I allow myself to play with the running speed, just to increase the challenge to my body and help get me towards the next goal/level. So, during a 6 min interval of running, I might alter the speed 6 times, up and down, with no set pattern, just to set myself a challenge. It all helps increase overall stamina and fitness.

It doesn't matter that you consider yourself "inflexible." It all depends on what you want to achieve and how you feel while doing it. It sounds as if you are still somewhat insecure about your ability to run, and you are still set on completion of the distance set, at a steady pace. Nothing wrong with that. You might find yourself loosening up a little as you gain more confidence in your running ability.

However, there is an advantage to altering the goals of your weekly runs. I just read an article in a recent issue of Runner's World that stated that you can maintain and achieve optimum running fitness with just 3 runs per week, if all three runs are different in terms of the challenge set to the body. By all means run once per week where the goal is a long, steady run and even pace, to help increase your distance/endurance. But take another day's run to play with intervals, like running from here to that tree and back 6 times as one running interval done at fast speed, then running once around the track/area at slow pace to recover, then do the 6 high speed dashes again, and the recover again, etc, for about 30-45 mins, depending on fitness level and speed/distance of the intervals. Then make another run a "tempo" run, where the distance is shorter than that of your long run day, but run at a faster pace than you would run on your long run day, i.e., what they call a 5k or 10k pace.

It doesn't have to all be as pre-programmed as that as long as you are including some variety in your runs, so that you access all aspects of running fitness and avoid repetitive strain inujuries.

And anyway, bottom line is: it's your workout. Do with it what you want. If it "messes with your head" to keep changing it up during each workout, then introduce variety between workouts, not within each workout. Set your goals and go ahead and achieve them because they are yours and they bring meaning to you.

Enjoy!

Clare

Gisela:

I was hoping you'd get more replies, it's an interesting topic. I hope some of what I said might be helpful to you. If not, ignore me, no worries!

Clare

gisela,

i can understand where you are coming from. i like the structure of a workout, and i think we all watch the counter. the beauty of running is that it is both stuctured and unstructured. you can pre plan your run ahead of time, or you can just go out and enjoy it. depends on if you are working on speed or distance. the focus of a run is different than an indoor workout. enjoy the difference. there are days i dont feel like listening to someone telling me what to do. the day may be too beautiful outside and i just want to let my mind not have to do too much thinking.

i hope this helps,

suri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.