Things people say - UGGGH!

wendybdh

Cathlete
First off, I'm 20 weeks pregnant. I was at the gym this morning and I ran 3 miles (at 5.7 mph) and was doing triceps when a man came up to me and said, " You know my mother lost a baby at 7 months from over exertion." I just said, "Well, I see a perinatologist and they want me to workout to prevent blood clots and don't worry he knows everything I do and wants me to continue." I didn't know what else to say. I can't believe the nerve-like it's any of his business. First of all, I only workout at about 70% now.

But, now I'm thinking what if other people are thinking the same thing? What if I lose this baby like the last two, then are people going to think it's because of the exercise? Do they think I'm working out because I just don't want to gain weight?

I don't know why but I'm really upset (maybe hormones:)). But, my Drs., who monitor me VERY closely told me to keep exercising and they even said that is the reason I have my DD, otherwise I probably would have lost her too.

Now I'm thinking I should stay home and workout so people don't see me.

That is a terrible thing to say to someone. I think it is upsetting also because it brings back sad memories and scares you. My advice--listen to your doctors. I have been thru a similar experience and was so worried during my second pregnancy I had to go to have my blood pressure checked everyday. Thankfully the pregnancy was fine and I had a son. Wishing you all the best.

wow! that was extremely rude of that person. i could never imagine doing that to someone. i know its hard not to care what people are thinking or saying about you but as long as you have talked to your doctor and are cleared to safely continue our exercise program i think you should just keep plugging away. i'm actually really upset for you. you should have just punched the guy in the face LOL I don't get people sometimes.

I bet they don't even know why his mother lost the baby. I lost a baby 24 years ago and my doctor said that it was due to my fibroids and incompetent cervix. He told me I would never carry to term. He wanted to operate as soon as my body recovered. I went to another docter who said that I lost the baby when most miscarriages occur, He said that many women carried with fibroids and he would only operate if he could prove that the fibroids were the culprit.

Well, I went on to have two healthy boys and both pregnancies lasted well into the 39, 40 week period. My incompetent cervix held on.

You know your body better than anyone else! Go with your gut! Good luck!

What a jerk!! My heavens! Don't let an insensitive, know-it-all jacka... er ah, donkey, drive you from what you know is right. Sounds like your doctors (who, I'm sure, know so much more than this gym jerk) are monitoring you closely and that you are doing everything perfect for a healthy baby. And as far as running harming the baby - I know a woman who ran a marathon when she was 5 months pregnant and went on to deliver a very healthy baby. She took it slowly and was very careful, but she did run all 26.2 miles. Running a few miles at a lower speed is nothing.

The audacity!! Still, he probably meant well. I bet the next time you go to the gym, he apologizes. But I wouldn't let it affect what you do in any way. You think strangers know more than your doctor?? As my grandmother used to say "feh".

When I was pregnant I hated when people made comments to me, people I knew and total strangers. Some said I was so big for when I was due, some said I was so small. I had my first son at 30 weeks, (he made it out okay), and so with my second pregnancy people commented on everything from what I ate to how tired I looked, etc.

This guy sounds like a macho-man. Typical of a macho-man to tell a woman what she should do with her body. I wouldn't let this moron deter you from keeping yourself and your baby healthy through working out.

Wendy, I would just ignore him. I was listening to FoxNews yesterday on the XM and Dr. Manny was describing the new trend: SKINNY pregnant women. Maybe he heard the commentary and let his mouth speak before his brain caught up. :)

Similar happened to me...I gave birth 3 mos ago to a fullterm baby-my 3rd...well, at 32 weeks, dr took me off exercise and my personal training work due to a pelvic diastasis problem and was told he might be preterm. I could barely walk anymore.... My parents, clients and friends all commented that I "did it to myself" from exercising during pregnancy....it was a terrible burden to carry around. the guilt I felt that he couldve been premature b/c of me...I did research to find out about my joint prob...it just happens sometimes...I didnt do anything to cause it personally. even sedentary people get it. ...but everyone insisted that it was just me being selfish and exercising...did they forget that i worked out w my 1st 2 pregnancies too and had full term healthy babies??? UGH!!

Congrats to you and good luck!

Next time you see that guy, you smack him! What a dummy! Congrats by the way!!! And way to go on keeping up the running!! My doc always told me that if you were a runner beforehand, you could keep running. I wasn't, so I didn't start. And I quit working out because of a complication that was totally unrelated but I freaked out and wanted to live in a bubble. That mindset got me a perfectly healthy baby ... AND tons of fat that I'm battling now. I think it's great that when you deliver you will be healthy and fit and more able to properly care for and keep up with your kids. I wish I had done the same!! As long as your doc okays your exercise routine, don't listen to anyone else! :)

I agree that he was rude and I'm sorry he brought up painful memories, but I just want to suggest the possibility that in his tactless, idiotic, ignorant, thoughtless, unknowledgeable (etc) way, his intention was to help you. No doubt he was wrong and his method was wrong, but underneath all the wrong-ness it's possible he was motivated by kindness and concern, and maybe thinking about that can make you feel better.

Amy

The only thing being over exerted was this jack arse's big mouth. Next time you go to the gym be sure to have your iPOD in your ears and reply to any comments with "Huh? What? Can't hear you. Sorry!"
Don't let Cpt Moron keep you from the gym!

ITA that is wasn't appropriate whether he was trying to be helpful or not it still wasn't a polite thing to walk up to somebody and say. i hope you are feeling better now though. only you and your dr can go with what you think is good for you.

kassia

I worked out during all three of my pregnancies, and I would get questions about it now and then. I say, go by what your doctor recommends.

I also think you should get a t-shirt printed with something like: working out, good for both of us, doctor approved. That will prevent well intentioned bad advice.

Thanks everyone!

I've really been thinking about it since yesterday and he probably did have good intentions but it never ceases to amaze me how people can just be so bold. I guess since I would never say something like that makes it hard to understand that other people just think it's ok.

BTW, I love the T-shirt idea. I also want one that says, "No, I didn't eat too many cheeseburgers, thanks for asking."

I also think you should get a t-shirt printed with something like: working out, good for both of us, doctor approved.

(hugs)(hugs) Wendy! I cannot believe someone would be ignorant enough to say something to you like that. WE know you are an AWESOME mom & would not put your unborn child in jeapordy.

Love the t-shirt idea! Where can we get one? ;)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.