The verdict is in-Torn lateral meniscus

nurse34

Cathlete
Has anyone experienced this? I was told I have to take off a week for work and PT for a month. I am just so happy that they can repair this, it has been difficult working out these past 2 months. Please share your stories if you can. -Lisa

Mine was a torn medial meniscus and I had a lateral release at the same time, so I don't know how long just the meniscus tear will take to heal. At the same time I was in, there was a high school kid in for a torn meniscus, and he was only in PT about 2 weeks. I don't know if he was done, or just quit coming, but when I saw him he seemed to be progressing quickly.

A week off work, and 1 month of PT isn't too bad. I know with both my knee surgeries, I was walking right after, on Dr's orders. NO crutches. If I needed to get somewhere, I walked (or gimped, as it were). Both my surgeries were on Thurs and I was back to work the following Mon, but I have a desk job. By your name I'm going to assume you're a nurse and are probably on your feet all day, so the week off.

Best of luck, and speedy healing vibes comin' your way!!

Nan

I had a different knee injury (torn ACL) but I had the same reaction as you - just happy to know what the problem was and that it could be fixed.

Let your PT know what your goals are in terms of activities you want to get back to, so she/he can tailor your rehab to you.

Best of luck on your surgery and a very speedy recovery. :)

Hello Nurse34,

Sorry to hear about your injury. May you get well soon.

I had a similar injury as Nan. I stepped back into a hole while building a deck and tore my meniscus. Darn it hurt just trying to step over a pebble!!!
The doc didn't feel it was in need of surgery so rest and ice. Later I slowly started PT and added in leg/knee workouts with weights. If I remember correctly it took about 6months to be completely healed with no pain.

I wish you the best!
Heidi

Thanks for all your support and kind words. I will let everyone know how I am doing in a couple of weeks!! -Lisa

Here is my knee story. My shoe got stuck on the tennis court when moving and my knee swelled and was very painful. Went to an Ortho about 6 months later and they put cordisone in it and waited. MRI'd it and they still did not know what was wrong. They said to wait and see if it healed.

So a year later I opted for the surgery. Going into the surgery they did not know if they would find anything. So I maxed out my 3k deductable and they found the torn meniscus (was on the outside of the knee) and took out much of the meniscus and they found a lot of arthritis and a bone fragment floating around in there.

Had the surgery in May and I still cannot run on the treadmill, cannot pivot, and still scream in pain if I rotate my knee just right.

I was walking about a week after surgery but it just does not seem to be healing. Doc told me there is no meniscus left so he put the chicken fat lubricant injections and they helped some.

So each surgery is different. Good luck.

Lisa,

No experience here, eitherjust sending along more good vibes for a speedy recovery!

getwell.gif

Lisa - LOTS OF GOOD VIBES COMING YOUR WAY as you heal! Do the PT and follow doctors/PT orders as far as working out. It's tough to be out of commission with workouts - but you will get back to it soon and be grateful you listened. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and it is tough not doing upper body workouts the past 5 weeks, but I know eventually I will back to train just as hard - but SMARTER. Let us know how you are doing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.