The Secret is out!

Spinin28

Cathlete
A while ago I was posting about an incredible movie that I was able to view online for free, and then later actually bought the dvd. My life has been forever changed by the impact of this movie.

I just wanted to let you all know that Oprah is having a show about the movie The Secret on Thursday Feb 8th...for any that might be interested.

http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

Enjoy
:)

I would love to take Oprah's $1,000 challenge and buy 33 copies of the movie and just give them away to people...I feel very strongly about the message contained within and just want to share it with as many people as I can.

feel the joy!

I've seen a post for this several times. It's a long video about the secret to people's success is visualization of what you want. It's basically about positive thinking and that all things that happen, be it good or bad, is basically because of your positive or negative thinking. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

>I've seen a post for this several times. It's a long video
>about the secret to people's success is visualization of what
>you want. It's basically about positive thinking and that all
>things that happen, be it good or bad, is basically because of
>your positive or negative thinking. That's pretty much it in
>a nutshell.

This is exactly what I was getting ready to type. Pretty much if you have read or heard about anything by Esther Hicks you know "THE SECRET." In fact, some of her biggest followers are disappointed that people are trying to make people feel like this is something that is JUST being revealed. She has been writing books for years. I think "THE SECRET" is just a big marketing idea. JMO.

So it was on Oprah today and I missed the first 40 mins. Someone want to share what I might have missed. I am getting the book.

Charlotte~~

>I've seen a post for this several times. It's a long video
>about the secret to people's success is visualization of what
>you want. It's basically about positive thinking and that all
>things that happen, be it good or bad, is basically because of
>your positive or negative thinking. That's pretty much it in
>a nutshell.

Okay..so how would that work...say I get in a car accident or someone robs or rapes me...it's because of my "negative energy"??

Some things are just random....don't you think? How we choose to react is what really matters. No one escapes suffering in this world. That's what binds us together.

And what do you mean by "success"? Isn't that a relative term?

>Okay..so how would that work...say I get in a car accident or
>someone robs or rapes me...it's because of my "negative
>energy"??

Keep in my mind I'm not espousing any philosophy here just answering your questions. Yes...believers of this do say you create EVERYTHING in your life and that includes negative things. They also say you can avoid all negative things.
>
>>And what do you mean by "success"? Isn't that a relative
>term?

Success is having whatever it is acheiving whatever you are attempting to achieve. So success is, of course, relative.

>Keep in my mind I'm not espousing any philosophy here just
>answering your questions. Yes...believers of this do say you
>create EVERYTHING in your life and that includes negative
>things. They also say you can avoid all negative things.

The only way to avoid negative things is to not judge or perceive them as negative things. That would be the Bhuddist way. That does not mean that rapes or murders don't happen, just that they are not negative because we don't judge them as being negative. There is no way I can prevent random events in my life from happening.

I think Rabbi Kushner's book, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" is one of the best books I've ever read.

The only way to avoid negative things is to not judge or
>perceive them as negative things. That would be the Bhuddist
>way. That does not mean that rapes or murders don't happen,
>just that they are not negative because we don't judge them as
>being negative. There is no way I can prevent random events
>in my life from happening.

I'm not saying I disagree with you only that that is not what people who believe in "THE SECRET" believe. They don't believe that there are "random events." Everyone has to choose what belief system works for them. I was just merely trying to explain this one.

ETA: Personally, I don't believe any of this. I do believe in positive thinking but I agree that certain things are beyond your control.
>
>

>I'm not saying I disagree with you only that that is not what
>people who believe in "THE SECRET" believe. They don't believe
>that there are "random events." Everyone has to choose what
>belief system works for them. I was just merely trying to
>explain this one.
>
>ETA: Personally, I don't believe any of this. I do believe in
>positive thinking but I agree that certain things are beyond
>your control.

I know you were just explaining it. I didn't mean to imply that you believe it (I would have no way of knowing that). I'm just putting some ideas out there, more for discussion than anything :)

I have a few friends who are so into this "the secret" thing. I personally, don't believe in it. There are some good and valid points, but I don't understand how some people can pour everything into this belief system. I agree with the earlier posts that bad things will happen to people and we can't control that. My husband swears that Oprah is the anti-Christ(yes, he's joking and trying more to make a point). I thought that was quite funny and absurd at first, but I can see how some people do listen to whatever she says. This is not to offend Oprah fans because I don't have anything against her, fyi.

Lisa

I watched the Oprah show when I arrived home and I was very uplifted to see the impact...esp the married couple and how they were able to renew their relationship with just having an "Attitude of gratitude" and in that gratitude they found each other once more.

I am hoping that everyone will have an opportunity to be uplifted by the information in the movie and or book. I have seen miracles in my own life, and I have been lucky enough to see the wonderful miracles in others lives as a result of this information.

The Secret is not a belief system.. Anyone that has experienced it would never say something like that...

You can not explain to anyone what the experiences of:
Flying in an airplane
Riding a roller coaster
Falling in love
Finding your own personal truth
Your very first Cathe workout

They will have a framework of what it is like with the explanation..but until they actually experience for themselves..only then will they truly understand. Everyone learns and understands things from their own personal perspective. We don't walk around asking for an explanation of a whole book and or movie...we go and read or watch it for ourselves and in the process of reading or watching..each of us pulls from it something for ourselves, and this is not the same for every person.

So in saying all of that...you can't explain to others The Secret..in the explanation there is no experience...thus no understanding. It is in the experience process you will have your own "A-ha" moment.

The Secret is a positive and wonderful thing to help in transforming your own life...It is not a replacement for your personal religion or belief system..but merely a positive universal message of love, peace and transformation for all of us.

Well I guess the publishers and "teachers" of The Secret are the ones who've found The Secret. I can't imagine how much money people have made selling this stuff! Plus it seems to have pumped a lot of money into direct marketing and internet-based-stay-at-home businesses because it seems a lot of people who believe in The Secret also believe in that approach to "being successful".

We hear about all the "success" stories, but I wonder how many people have given up after they've found it's not working for them.

So I guess I'm not missing much by not watching TV!!

I'm still working on coming up with a concept that I can sell. It seems it's pretty easy to get people to buy into just about anything. I'm so disappointed someone beat me to The Secret!!

Lucinda,

From one cynic/skeptic to another...I love you!!:7. Excellent points.:)

Tracey
"Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
"Where there's a will, there's a way."

>Well I guess the publishers and "teachers" of The Secret are
>the ones who've found The Secret. I can't imagine how much
>money people have made selling this stuff! Plus it seems to
>have pumped a lot of money into direct marketing and
>internet-based-stay-at-home businesses because it seems a lot
>of people who believe in The Secret also believe in that
>approach to "being successful".
>
>We hear about all the "success" stories, but I wonder how many
>people have given up after they've found it's not working for
>them.
>
>So I guess I'm not missing much by not watching TV!!
>
>I'm still working on coming up with a concept that I can sell.
> It seems it's pretty easy to get people to buy into just
>about anything. I'm so disappointed someone beat me to The
>Secret!!

I would totally agree with this. As I said in a previous post, I think the whole movie and marketing of this idea that has been around for a LONG time seems a lot like a way to get people's money. Esther Hickes, et. al has been writing books and trying to get this 'concept' out for years--I guess without much success. I think it seems rather suspicious to make this movie and make people get all excited that they need to find out what "THE SECRET" is when it is the same thing these people have been saying forever.

I also wanted to add that I have read, "Ask and It is Given" by Esther Hicks and while I think it has some great ideas and is very inspiring, I have had some truly terrible things happen in my life that I KNOW I was not trying to attract. In fact, I COMPLETELY wanted the opposite to happen. I think positive thinking certainly has a place and I believe, to a degree, that you 'get what you expect.' I think there are too many variables in life though to try to make people responsible for EVERYTHING that happens to them. Also, I would add that this IS a belief system--not in the religious sense--but it is a system of beliefs about how your life works and what you can make happen.

Well I would have to say that the Secret is a huge marketing ploy...or a spin on an old idea. I've also read some of Esther Hicks work and I love it and it really rings true for me but I think its hard to accept a new belief or learn how to put it into practice. I also believe that we are 100% responsible for everything in our lives that occur and I have also had terrible things happen. But I also think the beliefs we hold span over lifetimes (a whole other topic) and sometimes they are so unconscious you wouldn't even know unless you really searched. There is a book coming out called "Zero limits" which I am really interested in reading since I think it take the law of attraction to a whole other level. This topic could be discussed forever.

I also believe that we are 100%
>responsible for everything in our lives that occur and I have
>also had terrible things happen. But I also think the beliefs
>we hold span over lifetimes (a whole other topic) and
>sometimes they are so unconscious you wouldn't even know
>unless you really searched.

Wow. So how would you explain that to, say, parents who had a child killed by a drunk driver while walking home from school? How would the parents have "attracted" that?

As another skeptic I just wanted to add, how does this way of thinking explain those who are starving to death in third world nations? That you have to have a certain amount of money or opportunity for this to work for you? Isn't this just another way of disenfranchising, excluding, and making invisible the poor or oppressed?

And what about children (civilian) casualties in war time? Or children born with diseases, conditions, and birth defects? Is that the fault of the parents or the child?

I feel like this philosophy can be of help to people who generally have a good life and need to learn "gratitude" for how good their own lives already are, but I don't think it's a pancea for explaining everything that happens to everyone.

Let's be thankful for what we have and then do what we can with what we have to help others. I think your money might be better spent on donating to some organization such as Heifer International (www.heifer.org) ---no I don't work for them :)

Mattea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.