The one negative side of losing weight

Yvanna

Cathlete
My face also loses weight :(

I would like to lose 5 more lbs - but my face is not looking so nice these days. Rather tired, and too thin... and the smile lines around my mouth are showing more.... But I still have fat around the belly and hips that I would like to lose.

Will my face eventually go back to normal - or is this the way I will be at this weight for always?

My skin is quite dry - and so I use a very hydrating cream as opposed to a firming cream (already tried that).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Yve

hey Yve, how funny..I have the same problem..I would like to lose 7-10 lbs...but I am 42 and do not have near the nice fullness in my face that I used to...my face is thin...and I know if I lost that last bit of weight I would look 10 years older...

so the question is - smaller butt and older face or younger face and bigger butt!!!

what a dilema!!!

Bam...if I can get that French doctor to sew it on for me...yeah, I'm interest in making a bid!

Alas, I suffer from the same fate...over 40 and thinning face. But, so do all of my sister's. We all used to have those cute rounded cheeks...now they're just on our butts.:p

Too funny! :7 Well you know that you can have part of your butt injected into your face. Might as well rearrange those parts of us that could be better used elsewhere! :p

Bam

It's funny you mention this as I just finished up the chapter in Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle on eating healthy fats. And one thing he pointed out was that when people don't eat enough healthy fat in their diets that they can get really dry skin...not sure if it could also have an impact on "fullness" in your face as well. So my question would be are you getting enough healthy fat in your diet?? If not maybe try adding in some almonds, pecans, or flaxseed oil into your diet...not too much though just a little bit.

Deni

Yve,

I know exactly how you feel! x(

When I go below a certain weight my face starts to look thin. I am currently 5# under that weight and my face is thin...I would LOVE to be leaner which would probably mean more weight loss (maybe 5 pounds?) but I'm afraid to really attempt it as I don't want my face to thin out any further...:-(

Awwww, Yve. It's all about the genes, isn't it? When I lose weight, I get a boney ass, that's almost painful to sit on. In order for me to have 6-pack abs, I'd have to bring a pillow with me everywhere to sit on. But my Mom was right, when I was a kid I always had a big, round, chubby face and I didn't like it but Mom always said "wait till you're older". Sure 'nuff, my face is just the right size now, and I don't have to worry about it getting too thin. Momma is always right.
-Nancy

Life is so unfair isn't it?? I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning it (maybe you all are too polite, or it's too early in the a.m.) but my breasts start to shrivel up when I lose weight. Add that to the fact I breastfed 3 babies and you have one frightening site! Does this happen to anybody else, or am I just a freak of nature?

Tracy

I swear as I get older I look like I should be on a National Geographic program and fit in with the older women in the tribe. Gravity is sure in effect here LOL. Think Cathe says, "How low can you go?"

Jeanette

Too true, everyone. Any time I get close to what I'd like to weigh, my DH says I start to look saggy. Of course, at 50, everything is looking saggy, whether at my goal weight or 20 pounds over it. I just keep telling myself I look OK for my age and I am fit.

What is that old saying? "As you age, you've got to either sacrifice your rear or your face?" It's true, unfortunately.

I've not lost any weight ever, I've always been okay on weight, but I'm naturally thin. My face does look more lined that some of my friends of the same age group who are much heavier than I am.

I have a friend who is 52. She recently lost 30 pounds. We used to all talk about how youthful she looked in the face. We asked her repeatedly how she kept her face and skin so line free. Well, NOT ANYMORE. That 30 pounds she lost made a huge difference in her face. She looks every day of 52 now. :(

I lost a lot of weight a few years ago (about 75 pounds) and before I managed to actually get down to my goal weight, my face started lookin very thin. Too thin. Once I reached my goal weight and stopped losing, my face basically started to look normal again (though obviously thinner). I think the skin may have needed some time to contract.

My mother lost weight soon after I did and ran into the same issue. Once her she reached goal weight and stabilized, her face returned to looking pretty healthy.

Some of the "drawn" look might just be that you are not used to looking like that yet... Hopefully, you can reach your goals and feel happy with your face too! But true enough, as we age those lines get more obvious.

If your skin is very dry, try Aquaphor. It's the only thing that helps me. That, and drinking LOADS of water.

I also agree about making sure you have enough good fats in your diet. I used to do the no-fat thing (long ago when it was first popular) and I will tell you, I looked VERY old at that time. Now I eat good fats in moderation, and what a difference!

Oh, and I hear Tracy on the breast thing. Heavy lifting for the chest helps a lot.

Marie

Can I recommend a TB of flaxseed oil a day and some Evening Primrose capsules...they do wonders for the skin.

>What is that old saying? "As you age, you've got to either
>sacrifice your rear or your face?" It's true, unfortunately.
>

I think one of the Gabor sisters said that as you age, you have to sacrifice your face or your body (they obviously chose to keep the face!).

There's definitely a fine line between looking good and looking ' too" (thin, old, etc.). I've finally gotten back to the weight I was when I came to my current job, and my face actually looks a bit younger, but I have a problem with not looking good with too much roudness. When I start getting a bit of a chin (not quite a double chin, but the start of ' something' similar) it doesn't do anything for my looks.

Of course, there's also gravity (which there's not much we can do about naturally) and natural changes in skin texture to contend with.

My problem with getting to a lower weight is that I do tend to lose my chest, not to the point of being an A cup, but to the point of getting a too-boney, chicken chest. One reason I like to lift heavy for the upper body, and especially include incline chest work to keep that area filled in.

Thank ladies, for the good advice - as well as for all of the chuckles. I read this thread at work today, and struggled to compose myself with all the bum jokes.

I think that I do get enough good fats - I cook exclusively with olive oil, and like to snack with walnuts and/almonds. As well, I drink lots of water.

I will have to look up the Aquafor cream.

I have lost in total about 25-30lbs over the last 2 years - I weigh 142, but would like to be 135 or so...I am 37yrs - and before my weight loss, I would get asked for I.D. on occasion...Sigh - those were the days.. However I would much rather be a healthy weight, than flatter by vanity...

I am going to pause the weight loss for now - and try to work on toning things with more exercise. My shape is sort of like a ruler. I don't have a big backside,boobs or legs, but have a wide waist, fat around the tummy and the part of the hips sort of to the side and just below the waist...

Thanks again ladies.
Yve

Isn't it weird how that works? You would think that if you had love handles to lose or a little on your belly, that your body wold take it from there instead of your bum or your face.Instead youjust end up with a flat a$$ and love handles:+ Wonderful combo! LOL

One of the wierdest comments I got when I lost my weight was, I miss your round little face. I found it odd. 3 years post weight loss, some of it does not look as guant as it did, but there are more lines than there used to be. Of course, I am closing in on 45 with a youth filled with suntanning, so to be expected I guess.

when i lose weight, even 5lbs, my face looks much much older. at 28, i hate being told i look 35 :( lines around my mouth, eyes, etc.... look much worse. sigh.....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.