The Great Body Fat Debate

112toGuru

Cathlete
I'm tellin' ya, never saw body fat drop like the last month & a half. A combination of Kangoo jumping & starting a running program is just melting it off. I had measured for a long time, about a year or more with an Omron hand held unit, and it was pretty steady 24.9-25.1 % over months & months. I lost interest and just focused on the next thing, like weight, BF wasn't the main thing, just another gauge of where I was.

But now, 7 weeks after starting with the Kangoo Jumps as regular part of my exercise routine (4-5 days a week) and for the last 2 weeks a 3-day per week run/walk program, BF dropped to 22.5% that's 2.5% in less than 2 months.

Weird, as much as I've done in the past 2 years (as of July 2009) that is just one thing that I can't figure. I didn't drop a lot of weight, none in the last 2 months. Measurements, it's dropping there too, not complaining it's butt & waist.

I'm really starting to wonder about the calories in/out equation, the beginning of the year that just didn't add up either. I lost with less calorie burn, same diet. Now with this change, it's seems like the ratio is changing, I went back to some body weight exercises & they were a lot easier, I know I've gained strength, balance on one foot shows it pretty clearly.

But really, what is it that made it happen so fast?

Nothing works as good for me as running! The year I combined running with STS was the biggest change I ever saw in my stubborn body. I have so many people say I'm going to be sorry some days because of all the impact but I truly believe my bones and joints have become stronger because of it. I am sooo jealous you have the Kangoos! I would love to add them to my collection of toys. I'm wondering if there is anywhere near me that I can try them out. I need to see a pic of you with them on! :D

Yep, they're fun and they're a terrific workout. Now I do the treadmill and finish out the hour on the Kangoos, they pretty much got me over the initial impact problems I had in the past with the treadmill, my legs just got stronger. So while I'm not quite up to the time or distance yet with the running, I can do quite the endurance workout with the Jumpy shoes. (reduces impact up to 80%) Somehow I think they work a lot like running strengthening connective tissue, etc., or so it seems.

I'll be needing the Aveeno, Beautisol or Faux Tan before I take any pics.;)

I searched PA and there's a place near Selinsgrove, another in Maryland? If you're closer to NYC, Crunch fitness advertises.

Sorry, but I'm from the "calories in < calories out = fat loss" camp.

I believe that you are burning more calories because you are able to work harder without the impact of running in your Kangaroos (SO COOL!!!)

Nothing burns more calories than running (aside from rowing - where both back AND legs are used - what is that called?) DURING the activity and also during recovery.

I read an article comparing the treadmill to the ellipitical machine for calorie expenditure - the subjects felt they weren't working as hard on the elliptical because of the reduced impact when, in fact, they actually burned more calories because they were able to push harder and longer when compared to their TM calorie expenditure.

Sorry, but I'm from the "calories in < calories out = fat loss" camp.

I believe that you are burning more calories because you are able to work harder without the impact of running in your Kangaroos (SO COOL!!!)

Nothing burns more calories than running (aside from rowing - where both back AND legs are used - what is that called?) DURING the activity and also during recovery.

I read an article comparing the treadmill to the ellipitical machine for calorie expenditure - the subjects felt they weren't working as hard on the elliptical because of the reduced impact when, in fact, they actually burned more calories because they were able to push harder and longer when compared to their TM calorie expenditure.

See that's the thing, the HRM says I'm burning way less (at least at the beginning), and prior to the Kangoos, I did 3 solid months of body weight exercises & rebounding & lost ten pounds. That was an eye opener, the diet was near the same.

The other thing is I only started running in addition to the Kangooing like two weeks ago (now the Kangoo calories are evident after treadmill run), so confusing? The BF is dropping steadily and quick.

Is it possible from the conditioning over the first year & a half put my metabolism into gear, and the following changes just revved it up?

Kangoos in NYC!

YouTube - ‪Kangoo Jumps in New York‬&rlm;

This is probably a dumb question, but what are kangaroo jumps? Are you talking about the jumps like in DrillMax? How many/how long do you do them? I'm totally intrigued! I need to drop body fat toot sweet. :)

This is them:

YouTube - ‪KANGOO JUMPS come to Palm Beach‬&rlm;

Still trying to figure out the body fat loss, I've pretty much recorded foods, weight, body fat, heart rate monitor details, with graphs that show aerobic & anaerobic zones, type of work out etc. This year seems to turning all the standard practices on their heads, at very least making me scratch mine.

:confused:

Were you able to try them out before you purchased them? I am very interested in the Kangoos, but I am hesitant to spend that much money without trying them first.

How interesting, where can I purchase them?

Were you able to try them out before you purchased them? I am very interested in the Kangoos, but I am hesitant to spend that much money without trying them first.

Kangoo Jumps Official Site, Rebound Exercise Shoes, Low Impact Jumping Shoes - Home

This is the official site, you can get coupons from various other sites, for 10% off. I recommend getting directly from the official site, you can return them if you notify them within 7 days of purchase. There is a boatload of info on that site as well. I spent a few weeks reading about the benefits, usage, etc. (I'll be going back to it to figure out the body fat question I think it may be increase oxygen to the muscle & being just below lactate threshold, ah, new theory) It was a good fit for me, impact has always been a sticking point. I can get the benefits of endurance workouts without all the impact.

It did take me the better part of one week, following the Kangoo Kick Dvd to get how they work, so cool, there are other dvds you know with the kicking, that's my thing. I would follow one of the dvds to get the hang of it.

I searched Kangoo Jumps meet ups I think to find groups that rent them. :)

One other thought about the body fat, I have had the same diet for a few years and it is what I've read is like a runners diet, heavier with the carbs and lighter with the fats & protein, or so I've read.

Is it possible that this type of exercise (Kangooing is the closest thing to running that I ever experienced) that this type of exercise that I'm doing now with the running & Kangooing is just getting fueled that way & that's creating the body fat burn?

The only thing I ever read that related a drop like it (2.5% in 7 weeks) was Tom Venuto's Holy Grail, systematic diet/weightlifting, and that was diet specific too.

?????? Little help here?

I was dreaming about the Kangoo's last night. I dreamed that DH and I were on a vacation and we stopped in a Dick's Sporting Goods (boy the service was terrible). But we saw the Kangoos, and they were on clearance for $41 :D We tried them on and really liked them, we each decided to get a pair. When we got home I immediately decided to go for a run and it started to sprinkle. When I woke up it was sprinkling, but there were no Kangoos :( I am so fascinated by these I would love to try them.

Those look terrifying to me. Maybe it's just my tendency to hurt my ankles, but those strike me as an accident waiting to happen. I feel the same way about trampolines. How do you stop yourself from biting it regularly?

Those look terrifying to me. Maybe it's just my tendency to hurt my ankles, but those strike me as an accident waiting to happen. I feel the same way about trampolines. How do you stop yourself from biting it regularly?

The first time is a little weird, as soon as you stand up you get it, I held on a wall at first, within minutes you just balance, they're quite stable, haven't crashed yet! Knock on wood. I don't think I'd be running trails on them, well not yet. They are similar to a ski boot, your ankle is immobile, best tip, keep the knees bent and get some steps down with a video, even if all you want to do is jog or run in them.:)

So, can you run or do any cardio w/ the Kangoos or are there specific workouts meant to be done with them?

I hadn't heard of them before and they look like they are sooo much fun! I might have to start saving up :)

112toGuru said:
The first time is a little weird, as soon as you stand up you get it, I held on a wall at first, within minutes you just balance, they're quite stable, haven't crashed yet! Knock on wood. I don't think I'd be running trails on them, well not yet. They are similar to a ski boot, your ankle is immobile, best tip, keep the knees bent and get some steps down with a video, even if all you want to do is jog or run in them.:)

Oh man, I want these baaaad! Stop it you guys!!!

Oh man, I want these baaaad! Stop it you guys!!!

Worth a look, and for what it's worth, I ran across an article that talked about fat burning, that it occurs the most in the aerobic zone and that is dependent on available oxygen. What I think may be going on here is:

1. Exercising in the Aerobic zone that is 70% - 80% HR and

2. Increased oxygen uptake, or that when using the Kangoo Jumps regularly, there is more and more oxygen available, therefore creating more fat burn.

That came out of the information related to VO2 max increase studies from the Kangoo site and from the aerobic zone training from the Competitive Runners handbook.

So, I think I've got my answer there. I could not have planned to measure the body fat (that was what was so surprising), I was just consistent with so many other things (weight measurement, food, HRM, workouts) and having those other variables as consistent, it just kind of happened one day I measured the body fat, it's not just the Kangoo Jumps, it was exercising at the aerobic intensity, 70%-80% HR that did it.

Mystery Solved
:)

Note: this is strictly pertaining to Body Fat not body weight, no doubt you could also lose weight (mine was consistent throughout)

Last edited:
Are they hard on flooring such as hardwood? I would think they would scratch??? Plus, I don't want to embarrass myself by going outdoors til I get the hang. Not that I am def buying a pair but it sure is tempting. They look like so much fun!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.