the difference between...

sharona

Cathlete
I'm confused. i love slow and heavy and i want to buy another dvd that works only with weights but there are so many, so what's the difference between GS, Pure strength, ME, P&P+SS, the PYRAMID..

and what is px90?

thank u

sharona:)

>I love slow and heavy and I want to buy another
>dvd that works only with weights but there are so many, so
>what's the difference between GS, Pure strength, ME, P&P+SS,
>the PYRAMID..
>
>and what is px90?

Hi,Sharona!
Let me try, starting with Slow and Heavy, which you're familiar with, so you can compare:
Slow and Heavy is a three-day split that is the most strength-oriented of Cathe's weight workouts, doing 3 sets of 6, 8-count reps.

GS and PS are three-day splits, and they are more endurance oriented than S&H, but will also promote strength gains. They are similar in this way, but GS has more variation in reps and sets, and uses some more innovative techniques. It's kind of like an updated PS. But, that doesn't mean PS isn't valuable. I think if you don't already have it, PS could be a good addition to your program, if you don't mind a bit of a dated look (as in headbands!).

ME is a full-body workout, which is even more endurance oriented than the previous.

PP and SS are sometimes seen as less intense than most of Cathe's strength workouts, but some premixes take up the intensity. PP alternates muscle groups, while SS is set up in somewhat of a circuit pattern: you do several exercises in a row, for different muscle groups. They are nice because they break away from the straight-set technique that is typical of Cathe (do all chest exercises before going onto back, etc.)

Pyramids are a two-day split that uses what is called a 'pyramid' technique. You do 5 sets for each exercise: the first with a lighter weight for 12 reps, the second with a heavier weight for 10 reps, the third with the heaviest weight for 8 reps, then back down the 'pyramid" for another set at 10 reps and a final set at 12 reps. It is also more endurance oriented as-is, but putting more breaks between sets (especially with lower body) can make it more strength oriented.

P90X is a series of 13 workouts by www.beachbody.com that constitute a complete 90-day rotation. There are many fans of it here, including me, and you can find more info on it by searching "P90X" in Open Discussion or asking about it there.

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.