The baggy vs tight pants look

kathryn

Cathlete
Yesterday, on my way home from work, I saw a male student walking very strangely, almost like someone from the Monty Python "Ministry of Silly Walks": super bowlegged.

I was wondering what was up, then as I passed him, I saw that the crotch of his pants was about halfway down his thighs (and if he hadn't been wearing a long shirt, I'm sure I'd see much more than I'd like to see). I was hoping the "pants so loose, they may drop at any moment" fad had died out a while ago, but I guess not. (At least it makes for a safer campus for female students : if possible attackers are wearing these kinds of pants, they couldn't possibly chase after anyone without tripping over them as they--the pants--fell down).

I also am a connoisseur of fine glutei maximi (sp?!), and whenever I'm behind people (like walking in the halls or at the bank or the post office), I tend to look at butts. Most of the male students around here wear baggy-butt pants that makes them look like they've got the derrière of a an 80-year-old guy.

On the other end of the spectrum, quite a few of the girls wear too-tight jeans. The other day, I was behind a girl who looked slim in general, but had on too-tight, low-cut jeans and a crop top, and had a handful of muffin top/love handles hanging over the top of her pants. And this was while she was standing. (Did make me--at least twice her age--not feel too bad about how I would look in the same outfit...not that I'd wear it in public!)

Are youth fashions the same where you are?

Are youth fashions the same where you are?[/quote]

The "pants so loose, they may drop at any moment" fad is alive and well here where I live. My nephew does this and it just drives my sister up the wall.

Kathryn, I had to LOL at your post. I once had a friend who had her purse snatched by a fellow with his crotch around his knees. He had to hold his pants up to run away and someone caught him less then a block away.

Kathryn, I had to LOL at your post. I once had a friend who had her purse snatched by a fellow with his crotch around his knees. He had to hold his pants up to run away and someone caught him less then a block away.

LOL!!

(Kinda shows "double stupid" on his part : wear pants you can barely walk in, and think you can get away from a crime scene in them!)

Are youth fashions the same where you are?

The "pants so loose, they may drop at any moment" fad is alive and well here where I live. My nephew does this and it just drives my sister up the wall.[/quote]

Same here, my nephew does it and it drives ME up the wall!!:eek:

Reminds me of ...

Seeing those guys walking with their pants hanging low reminds me of when my toddlers had a very full diaper! They waddled with that same bow-legged, pants-hanging-too-low look that you see in the so-called cool youth of today. :D

I wonder if they'll recognize the look when they have babies of their own!

By the way...

The origin of that fashion statement:

Apparently, it comes from the way skinny guys look when their prison-issued pants are too large (and of course you don't get a belt to hold them up!). They have to hold them up and adopt that splay-legged stroll to prevent their pants from ending up around their ankles.

Very attractive. Definitely a look to aspire to! ;)

Everyone where I live wears tight wrangler jeans, bib overalls, and camo!! Now that it is hunting season, you've never seen so many men, women, and children dressed head-to-toe in camo in the local wal-mart, etc!

I never liked the pants falling off look. I just dont get it. And I don't like seeing peoples boxer shorts. ick.
I also don't like the too tight look.

Ah, yes.... the "baggy pants falling down" look with the wearer holding them up so that it looks like they're holding their crotch... or sitting with their nearly or partially bare rear-end on a seat in a restaurant because their boxers are so baggy. UGH!

I've heard that some citys are now issuing citations for this!! Hopefully coming to a city near you!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/17/baggy.pants.ap/index.html

Quoting article: "At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine." and "And in Trenton, New Jersey, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but also a city worker assessing where your life is headed."

I'm no lawyer but I was wondering how they can get away with that especially if all you see is boxers. I can totally see getting a fine for indecent exposure if you actually see thier bottoms though. :eek:

I wish they would "crack" down on this in Iowa but we seem to be "behind" when jumping on the bandwagons of new laws and fads filtering out here. Puns intended. :D My friend whos from Florida always says fads and styles that start either coast seem to take about 5 years to get here.

6449927_bodyshot_175x233_1225209263672.gif

"Are they going to go after construction workers and plumbers, because their pants sag, too?"

I wonder about this too. I was at a concert Sunday night and the guy in front of me although his pants were not loose and he did have a belt on, left nothing to the imagination. :eek: I told DH that I wished I had an ice cube. lol. I'm thinking Dude, don't you feel a draft?

6449927_bodyshot_175x233_1225209263672.gif

Well, this baggy pants "fad" is hardly new. I've been seeing it for at least 10 years...actually, not quite as much now as I did 3 or 4 years ago.

In California they wear them low with boxers showing both butt cheeks and a tight belt to keep them from falling. Kathryn, . . I just thought this was funny because my husband does that too, . . .stares at peoples backsides. He just likes people watching. He didn't even know what a muffin top was till I told him, . . that yes there is a name for it. It all started with the VPL-aka visable panty line and I would ask him "Do I have a VPL?" "Bra buldge?" "Muffin top?" He just thought the wording was so funny that now he's always on the look out for the fashion don't.

Quoting article: "At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine." and "And in Trenton, New Jersey, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but also a city worker assessing where your life is headed."

The law might not change much. Many of the guys wearing that look around here also wear long tops over their pants, so you don't see any underwear or flesh (but I know if the guy I saw had been wearing a regular-length top, I would have seen "London and France"!).

I once saw a guy in the store (with his mother) wearing these kinds of pants with a regular t. He had to stop every 3 steps to pull his pants up.

I'm sure my generation wore some questionable clothes when I was a teen/young adult, but I can't imagine anything less practical or comfortortable.

I'm sure my generation wore some questionable clothes when I was a teen/young adult, but I can't imagine anything less practical or comfortortable.

Hot pants and platform shoes...often at the same time. (It wasn't just a look for hookers way back in the '70s!)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.