Thanks for the knowledge

L Sass

Cathlete
Cathe, Chris, and the crew at SNM -- just THANK YOU!!!! I got a promotional flier/special for a huge local gym, and of course it never hurts to look. So I made an appt and went over this morning. Oh my goodness - the knowledge I have gleaned from these boards and all of the info you have shared on the goals of STS. As I asked the trainer during the tour some questions, he had no idea how to answer. He had never heard of this concept of periodization. I especially liked it when I asked just what you advised - if I join and utilized the services of the personal trainer, would he be able to give me guidance on which exercises worked which heads of the various muscles. He didn't know what to say -- so he didn't say anything!!!! That was pretty telling.

Also - we went as a family, so I had my 3 kids in tow. One of the members was stretching out his legs on an incline platform and my 9-year old daughter said "look mom, he's stretching his gastrocnemius". I thought the guys' eyes would pop out of his head. After the visit I decided that this was clearly not the gym for me, but being able to ask the questions based on the info you have shared was vital in helping me realize that. It is pretty cool to be a part of Cathe's "educated crowd" -- THANKS!!!

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

Lorrie, I absolutely love your story! You're right - that gym is not for you, at least not its training contingent. Maybe you should apply as a trainer yourself.

I think you also deserve a pat on the back yourself for the excellent role-modeling you are giving to your daughter - heck, all of your children. What you are teaching them now, about the basics and the fun of fitness, will serve them all their lives. Well done!

A-Jock

That's hillarious! I went to a local GYM recently to sign my husband up at his request (he was out of town and the special was going to expire). I walked in and realized pretty quickly that while I may not know as much as you, I knew more than they...

I still signed DOH up but passed for myself. I've been trying to get him to give Cathe a try but he won't. He's too macho for that. Believe it or not, he actually worked out with Arnold once upon a time so he has a different idea of what working out should be. He's got the sweat encrusted autographed weight belt to prove it too. LOL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.