Test question

Suz

When do you recommend a woman having a bone density scan? I consider myself healthy and fit but after havings my twin girls my body has been reacting differently. I was not sure since I do have a family history of osteo. and having my three (an older girl) and the twins does that put me into a higher risk group?

Bone density scan

Hi Suz,

I would take that question right to your ob/gyn or your family doctor. They would be the best source of information regarding your question. Let us all know what he or she recommends.

Sheila Watkins

Agree with Sheila

I think whether or not you have the bone density scan depends on your risk factors. Your doctor will be able to determine whether or not you should have the scan. I had one last year because I have multiple risk factors, but it came out just fine. By the way, I also have twins and an older child, but mine are all boys! Good luck!
Erica

For what its worth...

...my husband has a bone density machine in his office (he's an orthopaedic surgeon) and mainly uses it for post-menopausal women. He says that the test is not conclusive for younger, pre-menopausal women. I've had one done, mainly to keep me motivated to take calcium (its not working
sad.gif
).

Joanna

I had one done

Joanna, I wasn't aware that the test is inconclusive for premenopausal women! That worries me a little bit now. I had/have a stress fracture in the neck of my femur that was diagnosed in November. My second (and current) orthopedic surgeon (I had a bad experience with the first one, misdiagnosis, etc...) did a bone density scan just to see if premature osteoporosis might be a contributing factor. I also have multiple risk factors. According to the test, my bone density is fine, but now I'm beginning to wonder again. Well, at least I'm doing all I can now--taking calcium, eating well (most of the time) and strength training. My grandmother has osteoporosis and when my grandfather was still living he was known to have cracked her rib on two occasions just by hugging her! I don't want to be like that.

Kristin

The test IS worthwhile...

...but, according to my husband, treatment for low bone density only works on post-menopausal women (some complicated stuff about low estrogen which I only kind of understand). So, its maybe not so much that it is inconclusive as it may not mean that anything will be done as a result of the test. I feel like I'm kind of digging a whole here because I am not trained in this area. My husband feels strongly that if you are under the care of a competent orthopaedic surgeon and you are watching your health, you are on the right track.

Good for you for taking your calcium...any tips on an easy way to remember? For some reason I cannot make it a habit. Sigh...

Joanna

Joanna!

Have you tried the Viactive Calcium Chews? They are sooo good that you will have trouble wanting to take more then the daily allowance. I love the Caramel and the Mocha flavors! I have never missed taking them since I discovered them 2 months ago!You can find them at Sam's, BJ's, WalMart or even your grocery store. Hope this helps!

Hi Joanna!

Oh, I understand now!
happy.gif
So, the main thing is to continue doing things that will maintain my bone density. I was really concerned before I had my scan that I might have done some really stupid things in my teenage years and early 20's (stupid eating habits, mainly) that might have set me up for problems later. I can't control the genetic factors, of course.

I agree with Debbie--those Viactiv chews are great! I also make sure that all the citrus juices I buy are calcium-fortified, and I enjoy eating lowfat cottage cheese mixed with fruit. I drink a Spirutein shake mixed with either skim milk or calcium-fortified juice every morning. That way I really don't have to make a point of remembering; the food is just there. And... I justify my love of lowfat ice cream and frozen yogurt as a way of getting more calcium!
happy.gif
Hope this helps!

Kristin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.