terrible 5's?

hopefull

Cathlete
I have a 5 year old daughter. She is my PS in life. My other two are about raised. It has been a long time since I've had a 5 year old and I just can't remember some of the developmental hurdles. I vaguely remember my other two children going through a time where they were afraid of "silly" things. All the sudden my daughter is afraid of her closet, afraid of bugs, afraid to go into another room by herself, freaks out over new or unusual noises. I think some of this is about attention, but I am puzzled by her behavior and can't put my finger on a reason for it. She is also exhibiting a temper that is uncharacteristic of her. It reminds me of that two year old stage when they want to say something,but don't have the vocabulary to communicate what they want. She is communicating,however, quite loudly!!!! I am perplexed??? and concerned. She really doesn't seem to understand that she can't do something just because she wants to. She has gone ahead and done a few things I've told her not to do that are dangerous, and this behavior scares me. When I talk to her about it, all she says is "but, I want to." She doesn't get that she has to not do somethings she wants to because her actions can have negative consequences. I kind of wonder if maybe I talk to her above her head, I keep trying to make things simpler. I would love any insight or suggestions. Thansks!

Hopefull

No worries!All kids are different.It is interesting that she seems afraid of some things but goes ahead and does other things that have scared you.She's testing her limits and might feel super brave one minute and petrified the next.Her temper is another way shes testing her limits.Some kids(like myself as a youngster)found that unleashing my temper was an adventure,people reacted!If she is reaching developmental milestones(speech,potty etc)I wouldnt worry.If the noises she freaks out on seem to hurt her ears,instead of just being spooky,she might have some sensory issues,but I doubt it.She's sounds like a spirited normal 5 yr old!Hope this helps!!:)

I'm going to agree with Polly on this one. Sounds like a testing the boundaries, pushing your buttons, kinda thing.:) In reality when children do this they want (and need) the consistency of rules, consequences to continue, and they actually push and challenge to make sure such is the case and are thereby reassured when all remains "the same" as far as the rules go. But she'll keep pushing you...I promise.

But then what do I know, I have no daughters, only 4 DS.:p :7

Yes, I agree with Polly. My daughter just turned 6 and I recognize a lot of what you're saying. It's an attempt to gain more independence, but still wanting to stay protected. Mouthiness and talking back are becoming the problem with my "sweet" child now. Time outs work wonders for this! And then, when I notice she's getting particularly bad, I look to how I've been acting. Have I been paying less attention to her than I should? She's an only child, so I need to be cognizant of how much she needs from me.

On another note - Polly, are you Australian? I've got a boss who considers himself an Aussie (although he was born and raised in England). He says "no worries" all the time.

>Yes, I agree with Polly. My daughter just turned 6 and I
>recognize a lot of what you're saying. It's an attempt to
>gain more independence, but still wanting to stay protected.
>Mouthiness and talking back are becoming the problem with my
>"sweet" child now. Time outs work wonders for this! And
>then, when I notice she's getting particularly bad, I look to
>how I've been acting. Have I been paying less attention to
>her than I should? She's an only child, so I need to be
>cognizant of how much she needs from me.
>
>On another note - Polly, are you Australian? I've got a boss
>who considers himself an Aussie (although he was born and
>raised in England). He says "no worries" all the time.

I wish!No I'm just a natural born pessimist and my husband has given me that mantra!No worries!:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.