Teaching Zumba

cakebaker

Cathlete
Any Zumba instructors out there? Did you learn it by watching the DVD's or did you get certified? I'd like to teach it & wondered if I could learn enough by doing the DVD's. I already teach other classes so I have that experience already.

I love zumba! I dont teach it, just love it. I seem to recall reading there is a certification workshop. I think several different places around the country. Maybe even with Beto himself. Try zumba.com for information on the workshops. Then after you're certified go to youtube you'll find tons of routines other instructors use for some of the more popular reggaeton songs played in class....why reinvent the wheel right? ;)

Good luck

Carmen.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would not recommend learning to teach through a DVD. If I was to take a Zumba class, I would expect that the instructor would be properly trained to teach it.

Would you want to take a yoga class from an instructor who learned from a DVD? Would you pay the same money to someone who just works out at a gym as you would for a certified personal trainer? I think if you want to teach any classes and get paid, then you owe it to the participants in your classes, as well as your employers, to get the proper training.

If you are already a fitness instructor, they probably offer a basic workshop geared towards fitness instructors who want to add Zumba to their portfolio.

Elle

Last edited:
There are workshops available for sure -- does your gym/studio ever host them for instructors? Because you can ask your supervisor maybe about bringing one in if enough instructors are interested in getting certified. (and they often offer group discounts which is a nice bonus)

I do think in-person certifications/workshops are preferable, but I wouldn't assume someone isn't qualified because they don't have certifications. I'm certified in yoga and pilates, but I've taught cardio and sculpting classes too. I mean if you have a certification in one area, a lot of the info transfers to other areas, like anatomy and such; what's safe and what isn't etc.

I think the best thing to do is just inquire wherever it is you want to teach and just see what they require of their zumba instructors.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.