teaching kids Spanish

ms71069

Cathlete
Does anyone know of a CD or DVD that teaches children Spanish? My kids have Spanish in school but it isn't enough for them to really learn the language. I'd like to find something that I can put on when we're in the car, even if it's background noise, just to reinforce it a little. My 3 yo really amazes me with what she knows so I want to keep it going!

TIA!

For my daughter, we really liked Muzzy, as well as the Spanish cd's by Beth Manners (Fun Spanish, Playtime Spanish and Magic Spanish), and the Teach Me... Spanish cd's by Judy Mahoney. Also, Ana Lomba has some storybook/cd sets as well that are good. We have a few other random cd's and books, but those are our favorites and the ones I felt were worth mentioning. HTH!! :)

Does anyone know of a CD or DVD that teaches children Spanish? My kids have Spanish in school but it isn't enough for them to really learn the language. I'd like to find something that I can put on when we're in the car, even if it's background noise, just to reinforce it a little. My 3 yo really amazes me with what she knows so I want to keep it going!

TIA!

I began speaking Spanish at 5 years old and I attibute that to the reason I am fluent in the language. Starting out when a child is very young is the key to learning a language IMO.

I took all the Spanish courses I could in elementary, middle, and high school and my undergraduate degree is Spanish. I did not know Jack about the grammar and all that when I became fluent. I just spoke the language with the kids I played with when I was a kid living in a Mexican part of Southern California. I went to a Spanish speaking kindergarten. It is nice to know the grammar of a language, but total immersion at a young age is the key to fluency in a language.

People laughed at me for choosing such an impractical major for my Bachelor Degree.

Since that time I was paid more in certain jobs because I know the Spanish Language. I worked for a Mexican physician when I was a secretary because of my fluency in Spanish. I was paid twice what I would have earned had I not known Spanish.

Now Spanish is the unofficial second language in the US.

One way you can help young kids learn Spanish if they are not around the language much is to choose Spanish as the language spoken on their DVDs.

I almost always choose Spanish as the spoken language in my DVDs if available. If not, I choose Spanish subtitles. My cell phone is also programmed in Spanish instead of English.

Last edited:
Thanks, Amy!

I have an aunt who was a Spanish major in college and taught high school Spanish. She took her first Spanish class in high school! Definitely agree with you about the early exposure...I really want my kids to learn the language!

Amy what great advice. My kids use Rosetta Stone. I would love for my entire family to learn spanish but it is really all about consistency and discipline, . . . which I lack. When my kids were really little I taught them sign language. I couldn't believe how quickly they picked it up. Start them young that is for sure.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.