Teaching during pregnancy

H

Hazel

Hi, Cathe! Well, I've just found out that I am joining the ranks of the soon-to-be moms! Hooray!

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of modifications I should be incorporating into my Body Pump and kickboxing classes. I'm especially concerned about the kickboxing because I usually teach it as an interval-type of class, with brief periods of intense work (kicking drills, mostly) and then recovery periods. I'm generally the type of instructor that likes to do the class right along with the students, but I'm wondering if maybe I should be demonstrating moves and then walking through the class correcting form. Or, if I'm not feeling too winded or uncomfortable, can I continue as I normally would?

Thanks for any advice!

Oh my gosh!!!

Congratulations Hazel and hubby! How exciting. I hope after I move (we finally have a date) we can all get together again.

Stephanie :)

WoW! Great news, Hazel!

Congratulations, that is wonderful news. I hope you are feeling well. Take care of yourself. That first baby is the only time in your life you get to be treated like a real princess. (Well, that's what I tried to tell Norm, but he didn't even quite get on message on that one.) Anyway, I am really happy for you and your husband.

Daphne

Congratulations Hazel!

Oh, thats so wonderful. I'm very excited for you
happy.gif
! Keep us posted on your progress!

As for your classes. In the first three to four months of pregnancy, I personally found that I did not need to do many modifications. As long as you are having a normal pregnancy with no associated risks, the main thing to focus on in the early stages is staying extra hydrated. Drink lots of water before, during, and after your workouts(as well as throughout the day), and avoid letting your heart rate go beyond the mid range of your target zone. Interval workouts should be avoided totally. Whatever your current level of fitness is, strive to maintain it during your pregnancy(of course you will need to make adjustments along the way), and avoid pushing the envelope. As you enter your 4th month, you should avoid flat on your back crunches and any other exercises that put you flat on your back(ex, chest presses, abs, and some of tricep work in Body Pump). Also, keep in mind that the hormone relaxin is in your body throughout the coarse of your pregnancy. This hormone actually softens the ligaments and bones in your body to help ease that baby through the birth canal. This softening of your support system can promote injuries in your body at any time. Knowing this, you should exercise with caution at all times. As you approach the later stages of your pregnancy, you may find that since your center of gravity is shifting, its wise to lower your step height(in case you ever trip and/or lose your balance). Also, the weight of the baby will start to put more pressure on your joints and pelvic floor. For this reason you would be better off reducing any hi impact moves in your classes.

As for your kickboxing classes, I already mentioned that interval workouts are not recommended during pregnancy. Therefore, if this is the type of class you teach, then yes, I would do more demonstrating and walking the floor. If you feel that you can do the class but keep yourself from getting too winded then you should be ok participating with them. When I teach, if I find that I am starting to breath a bit too heavily, I back off of the movement, recover a bit, and then join back in. This keeps the workout more of a steady state one for me. Also, I don't know if you read my pregnancy update or not, but I specifically mention that I had to just recently give up kickboxing. The relaxin in my joints had softened my round and broad ligaments to the point where my hip and groin area feel very unstable. If you find that you experience this discomfort(especially during round house kicks, side kicks and all forms of deep squats), then I suggest you leave this workout alone as well.

As for your body pump class, again, this relaxin will begin to soften your ligaments, therefore lifting at your maximum strength is not recommended. You may find that deep range of motion type moves such as lunges and squats, will become uncomfortable as well. If they do, simply decrease your range of motion for these exercises. I found that Body Pump became uncomfortable as my belly grew because even though I put my step on an incline for chest work(and any other flat on my back exercise), the quick position changes became impossible. Also clean and presses, upright rows, and dead rows felt awkward because I could not keep the bar in its proper position. My belly got in the way. Just some things to consider. Lots of luck and best wishes to you Hazel(and hubby too of course)!

Sheila, please chime in if I'm missing anything.

Monitoring your exercise intensity during pregnancy

Congratulations Hazel! Cathe pretty much covered all the bases with her answer. I would like to elaborate a little regarding heart rate monitoring during pregnancy. Heart rate monitoring has not been shown to be an accurate measurement of exercise intensity in a pregnant woman due to the changes seen in mom's cardiovascular system during pregnancy. My recommendation is to follow the guidelines set by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology which recommend that a pregnant woman monitor her exercise intensity throughout her pregnancy by using "perceived exertion" and the "talk test." Using perceived exertion... On a scale of 0 - 10, where 0 is lying in bed and 10 is running up the Washington Monument with twins on your back, pregnant exercisers (depending on fitness level and stage of pregnancy) should exercise at a level of 5 - 6, which translates to a fairly light to somewhat hard level. Since you are an instructor, you might be one to keep it at "somewhat hard," while your formerly sedentary counterpart, who now wants to exercise because she is now pregnant, may keep it at the "fairly light" level. You can always use the convenient "talk test" to measure intensity as well..... You should always be able to speak 2 - 5 word sentences while you are working out. Remember, listen to your body and adjust your workout accordingly. Keep in touch.

Sheila

Thanks Cathe, Sheila, and everyone!

We are very excited as well! Thanks for your elaborate answers. I have a kickboxing class this week and will just see how it goes. My heartrate does not seem to be as out of control during workouts as I had feared it might. Mostly I have just been so bone tired that it really takes a lot of mental effort to make it to my evening classes. I'll just try to listen to my body and not go too crazy.

Heartrate

Hi Sheila!
I just wanted to ask you a quick question. I spoke to a midwife at my OB/GYN practice and she stuck by the 140 heartrate theory. She said that after 140, the uterus is the LAST place the blood flow goes to as the major organs are the first to be taken care of so the baby would be depleted of necessary blood flow. Am I making sense? Anyway, it sort of scared me because I've been working out at around 150-160 (I'm 22 weeks today). Any advice?
Thanks in advance and I love this new forum!
Dee

Heartrate during pregnancy ..... again!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-99 AT 00:36AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Dee,

Please get Dr. Clapp's book and read it. You will definitely feel much better after you read all the research. Unfortunately, there are alot of OB's/midwives out there who are just not current in their recommendations regarding exercise and pregnancy. Rest assured, the 1994 American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology Guidelines (Bulletin #189, FEB 1994) do not recommend heartrate as a valid indicator of intensity as did the old 1985 Guidelines.

The latest research regarding uterine blood flow during exercise is quite encouraging as well. I can tell you that I know of no research that says that after 140 beats per minute that the blood is all of a sudden diverted away from the pregnant uterus. Again, please invest in "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by James Clapp. The information in this book (ie. controlled, scientific studies using many pregnant exercising women) will give you the peace of mind that you need at this time.

Hang in there. Just email me if you need more reassurance. You and your baby are fine.

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.