Tae Bo vid: Reckless?

meriam

I've just finished reviewing Tae Bo Vol I and I'm truly stunned. In my professional opinion, this workout, although great for sweating and cross-training various body parts, seems to recklessly disregard warmup protocol. In addition, it is DEADLY for the spine. Young people who do this video on a regular basis may be in for a rude shock later on when back problems show up. Older exercisers will most assuredly feel the effects over time. As a once-in-a-while video, fine, but as a regular fitness regimen, it's bizarrely dangerous. Who is so careless as to present this, promote it and sell it as a safe workout?

The "instructor" is lacking in professionalism and finesse and some of the participants, including one with a headset mike is most definitely anorexic.

I cannot believe this video is as complacent about back safety as it appears to be. There is no way I think my money has been well-spent on this ridiculous video.

After 22 years of teaching fitness, I find this video to be a giant step away from fitness sensibility. You may disagree, but unless you're a fitness professional, you may not understand the long term effects of this kind of workout.

This is a sham and I'm disgusted with the people who put this together.

Tae Bo

I've got to agree with much of what you said. The warm-up neck rolls really get me! I can't (and never would) move my neck even half as fast as BB does!

I guess what concerns me most is that these tapes are marketed as the "answer" to weight loss and fitness for EVERYONE. "I lost 40 lbs. with this workout..." and similar testimonials are on the box, but someone 40 lbs. overweight shouldn't be doing these moves as their introduction to exercise! I, too, felt I had wasted my hard-earned money.

You are sooo right!

You are the first person I've heard talk about the problems w/back safety in these videos. I don't think it's a problem that will show up over time...it will happen immediately!

I tried the videos (wasted my money) and had a very sore and painful lower back b/c of them. I think the moves are way too fast to maintain proper form, especially for new exercisers who haven't strengthened their back muscles yet.

I wonder if new and/or out of shape exercisers try these videos, feel discouraged, then just give up? Very sad indeed!

Suzanne

Tae Bo: Reckless?

I'm so glad you agree. I watched it while I was doing my own specialized abs work and actually found myself lying on the floor, frozen in horror, with my mouth open. Geez.....

I'm curious about your 40lb. weight loss. Was it from the Tae Bo workouts ALONE? Or were you watching your carbs/calories at the same time? I find it amazing that this workout alone could remove 40 lbs. from a person's body without some help from proper eating, but there's no question it's a sweaty workout. You should be proud of such a nice weight loss. How long did it take?

The lack of back safety and cautioning was the first thing that struck me, right after the so-called "warmup", which wasn't one. There's just no way on this earth I'd do such a workout and expect not to experience back problems if not immediately, then later on.

I wonder what genius put this alleged workout together; it breaks most of the rules of safety and proper form.

I can understand getting all excited about a new form of exercise because Step, running, biking, etc. do get tedious at times, but my educated guess is that Tae Bo is a flash in the pan, like Slide was and like Kick-boxing will be, and like spinning was.

For the sake of all the spines involved in Tae Bo, I hope this is a short-lived fad. I don't like being so negative about videos but this one goes wayyyyy over the professional line, in my opinion.

Ditto!

I'd have to totally agree with you! Although I think kickboxing has some great benefits, I'm thoroughly disappointed that I've wasted money on these tapes, that in my opinion, aren't safe. Kickboxing is something that needs to be done in a controlled fashion allowing someone to use proper form, and TaeBo makes it impossible with those "double-time" roundhouse kicks. I still use it occasionally, but only for crosstraining purposes since it's the only kickboxing tape I own. And on the rare occasions that I do use it, I have to do my own warm-up, and ignore the double time kicks and do them at my own speed. I have a horrible back, but I find when I slow the speed down and use proper form, that it doesn't bother my back. I'm still hoping Cathe will make a REAL kickboxing video for those of us that refuse to settle for anything other than a QUALITY workout!

Like you, I have a horrible back, which is why I'm so careful about it.

I agree that Cathe should make a kickboxing vid for those who enjoy kickboxing but I'd much rather she made a super-tough LOW-IMPACT Step or Interval workout instead.

Glad you agree about the Tae Bo video. I really wanted to caution those thinking about buying it that it may not be a good idea unless you can borrow it from somebody else first, just to check it out.

Thinking about putting it on Exchange

I'm seriously contemplating putting mine on the exchange when it's back up...just because of the safety issues in them! I really do think it's not that all kickboxing is bad...just Billy's. Even the floor toning on the original advanced tape is bad...I thought the first time I did them I was going to throw my hip out with all that double time stuff! Geez...nothing like lightening speed leg circles..I just have to wonder who approved these vids to be sold when there's so many problems with them. I never once heard Billy say a single WORD about safety or form! That's pretty bad from a workout standpoint for those of us who are actually doing the tapes! Especially considering that kickboxing is new to most people! I enjoy kickboxing, I just am thoroughly disappointed that for the $70 price tag, I have to do so many modifications on my own to make it a safe workout!

Another point of view

Well, while it's certainly true, as has been noted repeatedly on the Video Fitness Forum, that the "safety police" really don't like Tae Bo, I think it is unfair to just reject Tae Bo and the people who do it out of hand. I incorporate Tae Bo into a well-rounded fitness program that includes step, hi-lo, running, weight training, and other kickboxing/martial arts activities. I am an educated consumer, as I believe most home exercisers are, and I am well aware of the potential flaws, whether real or potential, in the Tae Bo tapes. Like any other educated consumer, I know how to modify, and I am careful to include additional warm-up, cool down, and stretching with ANY tape (or for that matter, gym instructed class) that fails to include a sufficient amount to meet my needs. I do not have to actually be a licensed fitness professional to "understand" the pitfalls of all sorts of exercise, although I have considered becoming certified, on the side, as a personal trainer (in addition to my current career as a lawyer) so that I can put all of my already acquired knowledge to some good use.

When you say you reviewed Volume I of Tae Bo, although you did not actually do the tape, I wonder if you are referring to the original set or Tae Bo Live, Vol. I? The reason I ask is that as more and more Tae Bo tapes have been made, Billy Blanks has addressed concerns raised about earlier tapes, including sufficient stretching, warm up, and instructions on modification. Also, if you actually do the tape instead of just watching it, I think you'll find that Tae Bo gets you warmer much more quickly than most activities and burns substantially more calories than one would otherwise imagine (it's been documented to burn up to 800 calories an hour).

The instructor, who you apparently disklike, has a different style, no doubt, than what you prefer, but that is the beauty of home fitness-- if you don't like the instructor, you can simply turn off the tape. As for the instructor with the headset who you claim is anorexic, I assume you are referring to Shellie Blanks, who is Billy Blanks' daughter. Although I do not know her, I have taken a class at Billy's actual studio in LA, and I can tell you that most if not all of the instructors at his studio are as cut, muscled and buff as she is. Those people who know about anorexia inform us that it is IMPOSSIBLE to build muscle, let alone muscle like that, if you are anorexic, so it might be wise to know whereof you speak before suggesting that another fitness professional is suffering from an eating disorder. (As a side note, I've actually seen Shellie Blanks in person, and if that woman is anorexic, then I'm a slice of my grandmother's Polish Sausage. Rumor has it the woman eats like a horse. She certainly doesn't look anything but healthy in person.)

As for your concerns about back injury, you will note that "table work" is present in many, many gym offered classes as well as respected video tapes like those from the FIRM, and while there certainly are concerns about back injury if those exercisers are performed incorrectly, good instructors (including Billy Blanks, in his tapes) constantly remind their participants that they must hold their stomach muscles in very tight in order to protect against back injuries. Similarly, educated consumers know how to modify these exercises to further protect against injury if needed.

On a final note, I think that you are missing the big picture here. If nothing else can be said about Tae Bo and Billy Blanks, the following must be noted and respected nonetheless: Tae Bo has gotten more Americans (who after all make up the most obese nation on the planet) off their tushes and into a fitness regime than ANY fitness program of any kind in recent memory. The original Tae Bo tapes are in large part responsible for the statistic noted on the front page of Cathe's website, namely that exercise video sales are up over 150% in the last year. Tae Bo sat at the top of the video sales charts for months, and that fact alone has got to make you think seriously about not only the capacity of Billy Blanks as an instructor, but also about the effectiveness of Tae Bo as a workout. I don't know about you, but I would rather have a few Americans occasionally suffer a little back pain than have hundreds of thousands of them dying from heart disease and dozens of other serious illnesses related to being unfit and overweight.

It is also interesting to note that Tae Bo has gotten members of VERY diverse communities involved in fitness in ways that the standard, white middle class suburban gyms have not. Billy's live classes (which only cost $10 a pop and require no outrageously expensive gym membership) are full of the famous and the working class, gay and straight people, people who are rich and people who are not, white, black, asian and latino participants (to name a few), and women and men. I can only assume that the purchasers of his videos are equally diverse. Shouldn't it be the goal of fitness professionals to have everyone get as fit as possible, regardless of income, background, race, gender or sexual orientation? Billy Blanks has managed to acheive that where, it seems to me, many others have failed.

It seems to me that if the community of fitness professionals does not like Tae Bo for whatever reason, they at least have to respect the way in which it has invigorated the interests of everyday people toward getting fit and becoming active. Also, you've got to hope that some of the success of Tae Bo will spill over into more traditional fitness arenas, which, after all, would be good for the health of the nation as well as the pocketbooks of the professional fitness community!

Incidentally, I don't work for Tae Bo or anything like that-- I just use it and many other tapes (including those by the wonderful Cathe) as a part of an integrated fitness routine. I also think it is important for educated home-exercisers to stand up to the stereotype that because we are not "professionals" and don't work out in gyms, we somehow are all being conned, abused and injured. I've been using Tae Bo since it came out (between once and three times a week, using a variety of Tae Bo tapes) and I haven't been injured once. I also see a chiropractor once a week (for long term injuries arising out of the more accepted-- and torturous-- form of exercise known as classical ballet) who has found no difference in my back with or without Tae Bo as a part of my fitness routine.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion, no more or less legitimate than yours. I, at least, will not attempt to add more weight to my opinion by claiming that anyone on this forum or anywhere else does not have the capacity to "understand" it. I'm sure that Cathe and many others have educated us well enough to judge for ourselves.

Liz

Liz, You Put That So Eloquently

I totally agree with you. Even though Tae Bo "may" have it's faults. It in itself is a great workout, but more importantly it is an "ADVANCED" workout. Just like Cathe. Which means beginners or sedentary people should not be attempting this workout. For those of us who are Advanced Exercisers, we come to the table with the experience and common sense to modify or not do any movements that we feel test our personal safety.

In addition, Tae Bo has sold more than 120 Million copies to date. People are getting up out of there chairs and doing somethng. If this is a fad (which I don't think), then it's the most successful fad in fitness history.

Furthermore, if you are not a Physician, then it's best that you leave "medical diagnosis" to them. Shellie is a beautiful, well muscled woman, who is in no shape or form Anorexic. "Muscles don't equal Anorexia". You see, I used common sense to figure that one out.

As far as Back Problems are concerned, it's a well documented fact that 80% of people will develop them, regardless of whether they do Tae Bo or not.

Blanket Statements just don't apply here.

I didn't mean ME...

Meriam - I didn't mean that I lost 40 pounds with Tae Bo. That's one of the testimonials on the box.

Liz & Paula - I really do agree "different strokes (or kicks) for different folks" but again, my concern is that the average purchaser of Tae Bo is not the most informed, experienced exerciser. It's like any quick-fix that Americans go for to change their appearance, though more often it's through a new, crazy diet. You see it on TV or read about it and think, "Yes! That's what's finally going to make me slim and fit." Think of all the crazy infomercial exercise gadgets people buy and hardly use.

The people who use this and VF forum are remarkably informed, astute, cautious exercisers. This is NOT representative of the general population. I'm a personal trainer and, believe me, y'all know A LOT about fitness and exercise. I in no way would underestimate your knowledge, but I think you overestimate that of the average beginning exerciser.

By the way, Liz, I'd hate to be under cross-examination by you!

Wow! Great response, Liz!

Thanks for your very eloquent response. I'd like to add that I was very surprised when anorexia was mentioned in regards to Shellie Blanks. I don't think there's any possible way for her to look that cut and muscular AND be anorexic. Her body would be consuming those muscles for nourishment. And would she have the energy to be doing (and teaching) an intense workout like Tae-Bo on a regular basis?

W/ regards to the "safety police"...I've also heard safety concerns expressed about the Firm and Cathe, (and I'm sure there are others). IMO, Cathe makes some of the best exercise videos that are available. I think she's an awesome instructor who truly cares about her audience. That doesn't mean that I would recommend her advanced stepping videos to a beginner (Cathe doesn't either). A beginning stepper needs to learn proper stepping form at a slower pace. The Firm makes very effective videos, but there's been controversy about their too-fast strength moves and their tall box step-ups for years. An exerciser has a responsibility to become educated about what's appropriate for her/his own body.

To Billy's credit, when he first started marketing his videos, he marketed them w/ an instructional video and a basic video. (Yes, I realize he made more money like this). He did want his consumers to become familiar w/ the moves before they moved on to the advanced video. And, like Liz said, he has addressed concerns about the earlier videos.

You spent a lot of time on the reply and for that, many thanks. You did, however address many points that are irrelevant to the safety issue I pointed out. This "Live" studio tape (I assume that's what you meant by your question), is, despite its popularity, definitely risky.

You were very quick to point out that many people are educated consumers like you and me, and therefore can judge for themselves if something is risky. To some degree that's true but sometimes even the most educated fitness consumer is often unaware of the dangers of certain techniques such as too-rapid warmups, stopping to stretch when the heart rate is so high (people die from that), quick spinal turns, and fast-side-to-side changes in direction. While YOU may be one of the more educated (you made of point of that), many are not and I fear for them.

As to your veiled implication that because I didn't like BB I was perhaps racially (or otherwise) biased, this is certainly not the case.

I don't like the video, I don't like the instructor and I think it's a risky and dangerous video. While his others may have addressed these concerns in subsequent videos (obviously I wasn't alone in my criticism of it), it is only THIS video to which I referred.

Last, I did not "reject it out of hand". If you'll notice, I said it was an intense workout and probably burned a lot of calories. What I DID reject out of hand was the safety factor. Apparently there were enough complaints from enough sources to change these things in subsequent videos, or did I misunderstand that?

Nonetheless, counselor, I appreciate your time in answering with such minute detail.

Eloquent Is The Word Of The Day

Thank you, Liz! I couldn't have phrase it quite so well. Have you ever listen to some of the "Safety Police" when they are reviewing Tae Bo. Well on my local TV station they showed 4 people (3 ladies and 1 man). Doing Tae Bo Advanced. 2 of the Ladies had never worked out and the other lady was 75 lbs overweight and the man had been exercising less than 2 months.

Come on, give me a break. The video is called Tae Bo Advanced. Why would you demo it with people in which it was not suited for. They should have went to the local Kickboxing Gym and asked some of there regulars to demo it, not out of shape beginners. Billy has made it clear that this is an Advanced workout which you should do at your own pace. I wish people would stop reviewing Advanced Workouts from a Beginner's point of view. Nuff Said!

Not For Beginners

While I'm certainly not the Poster Girl for Tae Bo (I didn't like the workout and traded it away), it's clear to me that this video is NOT for beginners. When I had it, I knew that and it's true that he at least tried to address those concerns by including an Instructional Video and cleaning up the format in his subsequent videos.

Yes, people will try anything when it comes to losing weight. But if they disregard their safety by taking diet pills and doing back wrenching exercises then the fault is on them. You have to be an Educated Consumer or you are just wasting your time, money and safety.

TACKY

The only "veiled" implication I saw was the one regarding “my specialized Ab routine”. It always amazes me when a so-called “fitnesss profesional” goes to another fitness profesionals website and start peddling there goods. Dropping little pieces of crumbs (ex: specialized Ab routine, 22 years experience) that I guess we are suppose to bite. Well I’m not biting.

The solicitation (which is exactly what it is) is just plain “TACKY”. But I guess they don’t see this point of view or they wouldn’t be doing it. There just helping people with their extensive knowledge. YUCK!

BTW, Liz I think you did a wonderful job in addressing all the issues that were pointed out. And there were many that were mentioned, not just “safety”. The most ridiculous being that Shellie Blanks was Anorexic. Shellie teaches 12 Classes of Tae Bo a week and is a Black Belt in Karate.
A Fitness Professional SHOULD not that the amount of muscles that Shellie has on her can’t be maintained if you have Anorexia.

my opinion

Though I consider myself an athlete and advanced exerciser, I did do the instructional video before attempting any other Tae Bo. I do not think you can fairly judge the video unless you do them in the the recommended order. I can't remember if it's true in the live vids, but all of the originals clearly say at the very beginning not to attempt the video unless you have first done the instructional and basic videos. The videos are for advanced exercisers after all, a beginning exerciser should of course choose the appropriate level.

I am new to Cathe's videos, so though I am an advanced exerciser I am careful to preview and carefully check my form when first attempting her videos. This should be the case with someone new to other forms of exercise as well, no matter the level of fitness.

Meriam, I try not to respond to posts that make me feel a little "hot", but I find that I must, when I see that a fitness professional with your many years of experience would judge someone by the way they look to be anorexic. That is a harsh and unfair assumption and I do not think that being lean and muscular in any way means anorexic. Those are not the words I think that someone with your education and knowledge of the body should be using. Please do consider more carefully the damage you might do to your own reputation before posting such comments.

Very UnProfessional

Meriam, I thought your remarks were thoughtless and very unprofessional. Particularly, the one about Shellie being Anorexic. This is a serious disorder and should not be thrown around so loosely.

I thought you post presented many stereotypical remarks, such as: younger people, older people. Thereby, categorizing people in groups based on their age and not their level of fitness.

Also, you claim that Billy lacks finesse and profesionalism. Well, finesse is exactly what sold all those copies of Tae Bo. And as far as, professionalism goes, let's just say I don't think you're the expert in that arena.

As it has been pointed out above, this video is for Advanced Exercisers and even then common sense needs to play a role in this or any other workouts. I hear the same garbage about Cathe's tapes being too fast (Step Works & Body Max) for the average exerciser. News Flash: Cathe's tapes (as well as Tae Bo) aren't for the average exerciser.

If you don't like Billy or Tae Bo, then don't do it. It's just that simple. I don't need you to fear for me and my personal safety. I'll take care of that myself.

Thats NOT Nice

I don't believe Meriam was peddling anything. I don't see where she said "go to my website". Also
I think it might be a good idea if you go to the guidelines and read them. "If you disagree or decide to inform someone of a mistake, point it out politely"...."respect others rights to disagree"..."always be civil"....

Liz,
I think you did a good job of stating your opinion without attacking anyone.

Attention Guideline Monitor

Is calling someone “Anorexic” nice?
Is calling somone “Unprofessional” nice?
Is saying unless you’re a “Professional” you wouldn’t understand, nice?
Is calling someone’s life work a “Sham” nice?

Get real, Susan! Look at “BOTH” sides of the coin.

My post wasn’t an attack on Meriam (believe me I was quite polite in my post), but since she opened the proverbial “Can of Worms” I disagreed with her tactics (and not just in today’s post). Afterall, she’s the one who is “SUPPOSED” to be the professional. I don’t think her original post was very Professional or “NICE”. Calling someone Anorexic for whatever personal reason is just plain "WRONG".

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.