Suspension System

desertambrosia

Cathlete
I'm thinking of buying a suspension system. Any of you use one? If so, what's your opinion? My DH has a gym in the basement. Just looking for something different.

The place where I train uses suspension trainers in our workouts. They have 3 different kinds; the trx, the junglegym (LifelineUSA :: Jungle Gym XT), and an orange one that I don't know what it's name is. I'll speak to the trx and the jungle gym trainers.

Jungle gym Pros - each "arm" is independent of the other. This makes it a little easier to use when you just need one (suspension rows with a twist (only use one handle)), single leg lunges (one leg is in the suspension trainer). You can do this with the trx, you just need to either loop one inside the other, but I worry slightly when doing this that it will slip out. It won't probably, just one of those illogical fears. Or put your foot into both loops at the same time - when using the trx for the single leg lunge - which just makes it slightly more tricky to get in and out of.

Much cheaper than the trx, ~ 1/2 the price. I bought mine from Sports Authority when they were having a 20% off sale and free shipping. I live in HI so free shipping is always very nice.

Jungle gym cons: the handles are rigid and not padded. If I am not using a single arm or leg exercise, I will opt for the trx. Also, if you want to bring it with you when traveling, the rigid handles won't pack down as nicely as the trx's handles.

TRX - padded handles. As I mentioned above if I am doing suspension rows for example, I will opt for the trx because of the padded handles. Or if I am doing leg curls, I like the trx for this because the loops are soft rather than rigid like the jungle gym's handles.

I do think that suspension trainers are a great way to train. I love mine and I love when we use them in workouts. Putting my feet into the stirrups and doing push ups with knee tucks are an awesome workout! As are single leg squats and lunges. And since I sit at the computer a lot, suspension rows are another of my go to exercises. I just hook my jungle gym over my door (lock it) and away I go.

hopefully others will post their opinions as well, as I am sure there are other points that I neglected to mention.

- sarah

I've heard that Jungle Gym is a great system. I'm also going to check out making my own. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the information!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.