Supplements

boydjess

Cathlete
I am just curious what supplements any of you are taking. I am not talking about multi-vitamins, protein drinks or anything ephedra based. I am just curious if there is anything out there that will help with energy without taking caffiene or ephedra products. Also, if there is anything additional our bodies need to aid in recovery and such like that????

I take Creatine and it has helped me alot in gaining lean mass and losing fat. It helps in recovery of muscle tissue. If you are interested I can go more into detail, but I am unsure if this is one of the supplements you are interested in??

Janice

Yes, I would be interested. I took Creatine ALONG time ago. However, I think it was added into a protein shake that I used to take.

Thanks,
Jessica

Okay Janice, give us all you know if possible. I am very interested in the possible negative effects of creatine, to be sure of it's safety before possibly taking it.

Then I would like to know, how does it differ from a steroid or testosterone. I realize that it causes one to retain fluid within the muscles, but does this dissapate post workout or is it held in the tissue etc.... How can it cause you to increase in strength? Will you loose the strength gains when you quit taking it? Thanks a bunch.

Briee

Hi guys! Sorry to dis you in this post, I actually forgot all about it!!

Ok, well, as far as your questions Briee...
I read "Creatine: Nature's Natural Muscle Builder" by Ray Sahelian, MD. It is only about 130 pages and details everything you would want to know about creatine.

As far as safety goes, they cannot gaurantee that. The book states, "Creatine Supplements have been found to be remarkably safe.After all, creatine is found in our foods and we consume about a gram a day, on average. However, we don't know for certain what might happen in the long run if people take HIGH doses continually for many months or years. Consequently, if you have any medical problems we recommend that you consult with your doctor before taking creatine, especially if you have kidney or liver disorders. The kidneys are the main organ responsible for eliminating creatinine, the breakdown product of creatine. Therefore, if you have kidney disease and you take high loads of creatine, your creatinine levels would rise to unacceptable levels. Research into creatine is in its infancy. While everything that we have learned to date indicates that the proper use of creatine is safe, there still is a lot we need to learn about this natural nutrient. For the latest updates, visit the website: www.raysahelian.com."

Diarrhea is a side effect. Seems to be with only large doses. I did not "load" creatine and if you are looking for the safest route, this would be it. Side effects only seem to occur with high doses. I took about 10 grams for about two weeks to speed up the process and now only take 5 grams per day which is one heaping scoopful of the brand I take which is "X-RATED". I take the pure stuff, with no "helpful" stuff addded, which I am assuming is the variety Jessica took. I get the 99% pure creatine and mix it with water or sometimes juice. If I mix it with H2O I eat an orange or piece of fruit at the same time. It doesn't really matter how you take it but they say that taking it with some form of glucose is best as it speeds up the absorption. Also, before and after your workout is most desirable. Since I only take 5 grams I only take it before my workout...

I have had NO negetive side effects. Even the water weight issue is a mystery to me, since I feel actually thinner. My muscles seem bigger, with more of a "pump", kinda like the one you get when you do S&H...
Benefits:

Gains of Creatine Use
" Both men and women report dramatic gains from creatine supplementation. The average man gained 8 pounds of bodyweight which is a 4% increase in total mass. Male athletes reported weight gains ranging from 0-20 pounds. Those with the greatest initital muscle mass noted the largest gains in total size. Many men also indicated that their body fat level dropped simultaneously with the increases in body weight. This drop in body fat averaged 2.5 percent since total body weight is the sum of lean mass + body fat. Their total gains in lean mass were actually higher than the gains in body weight. The estimated increase in lean mass was 13 pounds, which reprresents a 7.5% rise in total lean mass. Nearly all of these gains occurred during the first 6 months of creatine use.

Women made even greater improvements from a percentage standpoint. Their average gain in total body weight was 5%, 1% more than men. They also reported a greater drop in body fat, 3%. So their increase in total lean mass was a whopping 9%. Because of their smaller frames however, women had fewer pounds of muscle gain. The average increase in total body weight was 6 pounds, while the corresponding rise in lean mass was 10 pounds"

GROWTH IN MUSCULAR STRENGTH, ENDURANCE, AND BODYWEIGHT..

" In 1995, C.P. Earnest and his associates at Texas Womens University, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, and The Cooper Clinic in Dallas, Texas, conducted an experiment to see how creatine monohydrate would boost strength and endurance. They gave eight weight-trained men 20 grams of creatine per day for 28 days. THe reasearchers also did before and after measurements for total body weight, the percentage of body fat, and the one rep maximum on the bench press ( the maximum amount an individual can lift and only do one rep, or 1RM).
Earnest found that the average weight his test subjects could lift on the 1RM rose by 8.2 kilograms, a gain of over 18 pounds. That is a 6.5% improvement in one month. The average number of reps the participants could do when they lifted a weight that was only 70% of their 1RM also rose, from eleven to fifteen pounds. Here was clear proof that creatine not only makes you stronger, but allows you to work longer and more intensely as well.

The researchers also discovered that there was a 3.7 pound increase in total body weight with only .2 pound increase in body fat. This is a 2 percent gain in the athletes' average lean muscle mass within 30 days. The researchers concluded that these results demonstrated the efficacy of creatine monohydrate as an ergogenic aid. The ability to perform greater muscular work, per given work task, provides a greater muscular overload that may promote an increased adaptive response in muscular structure and function" This means that creatine allows you to perform more work, stimulating muscle growth".

So, Briee, I guess that would be how it differs from a steroid. It doesn't just HAND you muscle mass, you have to work for it still. It just works within the muscle to give you that extra edge when you would normally be reaching muscular failure. And if that edge is enough to stimulate your body in a way t has not been before, then you will grow in muscle size and strength.

I could go on about what creatine is but basically it IS natural. It is found in moderate amounts in the skeletal muscles of most meats and fish. Good sources of dietary creatine include tuna, cod, salmon, herring, beef, and pork. (Those are all the foods you DON'T eat, right Briee!!:):) The book goes on to say that the average meat eater is walking around with approx. 120 grams of creatine in his body with vegetarians having significantly less. It says the average sedentary person uses up 2 grams creatine per day. The point of supplementation is to maximize the amount of creatine stored in your muscles and available immediately when you commence intense exercise.

Note here that creatine suppementation is inferior for people that only do steady state cardio such as marathon running or endurance based activities. The real benefit of this supplement is seen for high intensity, short duration activties that call on the use of ATP-creatine phosphate system. The book defines these as any sport that has an "explosive or fatigue element". Translation: IMAX!!!!!!!

Ok, my last note here is:

"Creatine Supplementation loads the muscle cells with as much raw material for ATP resythesis as possible. It also promotes greater nitrogen retention and protein synthesis by increasing intracellular water levels. Bodybuilders are then able to achieve progressive resistance in their weight training. Provided that the athlete gives his or her body the other raw materials it needs for muscle growth (amino acids, vitamins and minerals), and gets adequate recuperation to permit full recovery form the stresses of training, and the end result will be greater muscular strength and an increase in lean muscle mass
Creatine also seems to lower body fat levels. About a third of our survey respondents mentioned reduced body fat levels as a benefit from creatine use. While the reason for these improvements is still unclear, it appears to relate to the higher energy expenditure produced by the increases in training volume and total muscle mass. (You burn more calories each day just keeping that extra muscle alive and well!) These gains in definition and vascularity (there 's your word Briee!!) are highly prized in bodybuilding, where competitive athletes often step on stage with body fat levels as low as three percent."

Ok, well if your not convinced now, I don't know what will convince you!!!! This is just a supplement that give you more energy,way down on a scienfitic level, when you do very intense exercise (which I count all Cathe workouts as:)

I can say that I have experienced all the benefits they speak of here. I do not take a large dose, probably not large enough and really haven't gained any poundage, but my muscles are bigger and I have less fat, so it is all good...

I am suprised Amy doesn't get on here and root for creatine. She is a competive bodybuilder or was one at one time I know. I really think everyone on this forum should consider this supplement. I also wish Annette would comment on this, even if the comment she has is negetive. I mean, you may be able to achieve all these extra effects on your own without creatine, but who doesn't want that extra "boost". It isn't doing it for you, it is just HELPING you. You are still to credit for any improvements you see!!

Some other sites:

http://www.creatinemonohydrate.co.uk/sideeffects.htm

http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/creatine/rbk.html

http://www.viewnews.com/1999/VIEW-Sep-15-Wed-1999/NWest/11910587.html

http://www.monashores.net/anamahs/BasketballWebsite/Coaches' Corner/creatine_monohydrate.htm

Some of these articles comment on how it can actually hurt your endurance (atleast in marathoners). I suppose this is probably because if you gain weight in any form, odds are you will become a slower runner. Again, I have not experienced any of this.

If you guys want to know more I will gladly oblige... Happy researching...

Janice

Whew......Janice, I can't thank you enough for taking the major amount of time it probably took to type all that in!!!! I'm printing it out. I too would be interested in other comments. I would like to give it a try for a few months and then give it a rest. I was wondering what happens when you quit taking it. You can't really lose the muscle you've built correct? So even if this is just a 4 month experiment or so, it would be a long term benefit correct? Provided you continue to lift of course. Just pondering all this.

As you noted, I don't get the creatine from meat and therefore I'm a little frustrated with development which is good, but I'd love to be able to push harder and continue to see more growth (and of course more vascularity, my personal, purely aesthetic motivator ).:) :) !!
And I'd love to break the through the plateau that I'm currently experiencing.

Again thanks so much and I will check into where I can this stuff!! It sounds like what your taking would be what I'm interested in.

Briee

Briee..
If you think about it logically, you would assume that if you did gain some extra muscle mass as a result of the extra edge the creatine gave you then you would keep that mass as long as you continued to strength train and eat right. Just because you stop creatine use does not mean it just falls off of you. Performance would be where you would notice the effects of creatine cessation, I would assume. But by then you will have the increase in muscle mass to help you out. As the article points out, all the supplement does is help your energy level pushing you to work out harder. This is why you end up cutting body fat.

I really don't believe in other supplements such as Hydroxycut and the like because they temporarily raise your metabolism to help you cut fat, but what happens when you go off of them?? Your metabolism falls because you are no longer taking the stimulant. So you gain weight back regardless of what you do, assuming ou keep everything the same. With creatine it is not like this because the added mass will keep you burning more calories!!

Really...lately I have not been eating too well (pretty crappy actually) and I am amazed that my body fat keeps going DOWN!!! I don't know if at this point I have added enough additional mass to make up for some of my dietary cheating or what, but it really seems like a miracle to me!! My cardio regime seems the same, so I don't know, but I have to credit this supplement as far as my ability to gain some good mass (and my ma and pa!)
You and I seem to be the only ones interested though!
I will let you know anything else I find interesting...

and, your are welcome...

Janice

Janice, your assessment of the long term benefits seem logical to me. I believe I'd like to try a 4-6 month experiment and see what happens and then proceed to not taking it and see what then happens. How many months have you taken it and when do you intend to stop? Also, what was the name of the brand you take? Do you have to order it online, or can you get it from a health food store? Thanks so much again, you've REALLY got me interested in pursuing this now!!!

Briee

Hi Janice,

I am still interested in the creatine and really appreciate all the information you have posted here. I would also like to know what brand you are using and where you get it. Also, I think you mentioned you did not load on the creatine but do you cycle it? I usually work out about 5:30 a.m. so I work out on a empty stomach, would you still take the creatine then or at some other time?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Jessica

Jessica,
Yes, I would take the creatine then. With 4 oz. of orange juice. That is if you don't drink coffee in the morning. If you do, take it after or preferably 3-4 hours after your last cup of coffee. Caffeine hinders creatine absorption.

I get mine at GNC. It is just the 99% pure crystalline creatine. No other junk in it. It is made by X-RATED. I buy the biggie bottle and it has lasted me a long time.

Briee.. I am really bad about how I take it, meaning I have NO idea when I started taking it. I forgot. I also have not gotten off of it at all. Maybe this is bad, maybe not. I don't really have plans to stop in the future, but I probably will at some point.

Briee, the problem with starting and stopping..to see what effect the creatine has...is how will you know any changes will be directly from taking or the cessation of creatine? Kinda hard to tell. Just like there are people on this board that will say my increased leaness is not from any advantage the creatine gave me, but simply from the fact that I added in CTX cardio, which is more intense.....could be...
The effects won't kick in for about a month. Once I hit a month it seemed like all of a sudden I was stronger. Maybe sooner for you since you don't eat meat...
Good Luck you guys and please let me know how it turns out..
Janice

Janice: You seem extremely knowledgable regarding supplements. Do you have any information about conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)? I have been hearing some really positive things and was wondering if you had any experience with this supplement. Thanks, Lynda

Thanks for the compliment Lynda, but actually I am not much of a believer in supplements. The only reason I gave Creatine a try was because I had heard nothing but good things about it and read about it myself...I don't just start taking something for the hell of it. I really truly have to believe it is worth the expense and that it will honestly benefit me.

I have never investigated CLA, so someone else will have to help you here. Do some searching on the net..it is always a plethura of information!!

Janice

has anyone tried hmb? it's supposed to help with lean mass and fat loss without creatine's side effects. but, it only works with workouts. i want to lose fat. i already have enough muscle, but i would like to work on my endurance.

janice, did you get bigger with the creatine? i want increased lean muscle and decreased fat, but i want to get smaller above all!!

No, I got smaller. Not too much so though since I was not really trying to diet all that much, but I suppose if you ate really clean you could expect to shrink in overall size, but gain muscle, assuming you have a significant amount of fat to lose.

And, you DON'T want to get smaller above all!! When you put on more muscle, regardless of whether it is underneath your generous fat layer, it BURNS MORE CALORIES FOR YOU!! If you want to "get smaller overall" you could just starve yourself and lose both fat and muscle. I was the "smallest" when I did this years ago. I weighed 34 pounds less and looked about 34 times less healthy...
Also, I am pretty mesomorphic. It would be hard for me not to "bulk" a little without really cutting my food intake, so my experience should be for the easy gainer...
Food for thought..

Janice

Hi,
Thanks for the post on creatine. I just posted a question about creatine and protein powder.
I am wanting to get a little bit of size to my upper body.
I doing a tank top rotation right now and I'm getting some nice defintion, but like I said on the post, I'm not quite getting what I want.
I've been taking protein powder now for a few months, but I have only been drinking one 6oz shake after a weight workout and thats it. I think I am supposed to be taking more. Anyway, I went today and bought EAS Creatine powder. It isn't flavored with anything. You put 1 1/2 teaspoons of the powder with water or juice.
I have heard many things about Creatine and finally I am ready to try it.
After reading your post I had a few questions for you if you could answer them. I heard you should have a protein shake within an hour after a weight workout and that is the only time I'm drinking those. The creatine says something like take 3 or 4 times a day. So should that be on weight training days do the 3 or 4 times or is that everyday? and should it be the amount the can says to take?
Also since I'm asking..... should I be drinking more protein shakes in the day?
Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Michelle~:)

Hi Michelle..

Sorry I couldn't answer...my computer was on the fritz!!!

I wouldn't drink more protein powder..just make sure you get enough protein all together. The TTR is a killer!!! I would say get 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. More like 1 gram would probably be more realistic for you. I find more than that gets difficult. My rules are to eat protein first thing in the morning (with carbs, of course) and eat every 2-4 hours thereafter until I go to bed. That way your body never runs low. The protein shake after the workout is the best. IF you don't eat a sufficient breakfast then I would recommend putting one in there too!!

I already posted for you about the creatine, but just so you know, it is unnecessary to load it. You will get more immediate results if you do, but studies have shown that you do get the same results (it just takes about a month) if you don't load. I chose not to load since it wasn't like I was competing or anything. 3-4 times would be if you were loading. I am 130 pounds and I take 5-10 grams per day, 10 grams on heavier lifting days and lower body days. I try to take it every day but often miss a dose here and there which also does not matter. It is not as specific as you may think. Once the creatine builds in the muscles, it stays there for quite some time. They do say having it circulating in your bloodstream immediately prior to a workout may help how strong you feel for that workout though.....that is why you take it prior or after..after speeds recovery...

If you want to know anything else, feel free to email me!!!

Janice

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.