Suggestion for strength training?

pace1987

Cathlete
I just post over at facebook but figure I will get more suggestion here. I having done strength training in a while and I have every Cathe DVD. I am going to start next week. I like to split it up doing upper one day and lower on a different day. So what are your suggestion? I was thinking PUB/PLB and ME which are my favorite:). After I get my strength back I just might do the STS 3 month rotation again.

I use the gym style workouts when I come back from an injury or vacation. I like that they're basic. Not a lot of thinking but I get good overall workouts to get back into things.

I LOVE the pyramids but I find those more challenging so they're usually not my first choice when starting back into things.

Good luck getting back to it!

How about the 4DS premixes?

Or, it's not Cathe, but Squeeze Stronger has some great u/b work on it...you can really fry your muscles with light weights. For me, it was a great re-entry to weights post-surgery. I still can't go too heavy, but when I do workouts like this, at least I'm not frustrated by having to modify so much compared to what I used to do or from what the crew is doing. And it still gives me mighty good DOMS!

I'd say go with your favorites, as they can help motivate you, but reduce the intensity of them as you get back into working out. For the Pyramids, you could start with the "pyramid-up" or "pyramid-down" premixes. Or just do the standing section of PLB (which is very complete on its own, IMO), or do the standing section one day, and the floor section another day.

Maybe just do the Pyramids for week one (twice each), and the next week, add in ME (doing PUB and PLB or a premix of them once each, and ME one day, using lighter weights than you think you might use, since you are coming back to weights after a lay-off).

I'd say go with your favorites, as they can help motivate you, but reduce the intensity of them as you get back into working out. For the Pyramids, you could start with the "pyramid-up" or "pyramid-down" premixes. Or just do the standing section of PLB (which is very complete on its own, IMO), or do the standing section one day, and the floor section another day.

Maybe just do the Pyramids for week one (twice each), and the next week, add in ME (doing PUB and PLB or a premix of them once each, and ME one day, using lighter weights than you think you might use, since you are coming back to weights after a lay-off).

Thanks Kathryn:)

Actually, I wouldn't start back with the pyramid workouts.

PUB and PLB have a smaller range of different exercises on them than the Gm Styles or ME, for example.

I think when you start back, you want to do a little of everything, to reengage the muscles, rather than an awful lot of only a few exercises. The work on PLB is rather limited. A routine that works quads, inner thigh, outer thigh, hamstrings, calves and glutes in a variety of ways, works better. The Gym Styles lower body (if it gets to be too much, do only 1 set of each exercise and then move on), particularly with the floorwork section added on, is a far better, well-rounded routine than PLB. Of course, start with half the weight you would normally use or you'll end up taking 5 days off afterwards through wicked DOMS!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.