Success with Rotation--Scared to Change!

lynda

Cathlete
Hi! I'm having such great results with my current rotation that I'm hesitant to change it. I know that changing it up is key to continued results, so I thought I'd see if anyone could help me out.

Right now, here is what I'm doing:

Monday - Muscle Endurance/One-hour walk, 4 miles
Tuesday - Step Blast/Abs
Wednesday - Pyramid Upper Body/One-hour walk, 4 miles
Thursday - Imax 2 or Imax Extreme/Abs
Friday - Legs & Glutes/Abs/One-hour walk, 4 miles
Saturday - Kick, Punch & Crunch

I'd like to keep the format similar, but change out the workouts. For example, I thought I could change it to something like:

Monday - Push & Pull/One-hour walk, 4 miles
Tuesday - Rhythmic Step/Abs
Wednesday - Power Hour/One-hour walk, 4 miles
Thursday - Imax 1/Abs
Friday - Leaner Legs/Abs/One-hour walk, 4 miles
Saturday - Boot Camp

I'm not sure if these substitutions are the best. I don't have Cardio Kicks, which would probably be a better substitution for KPC. Is Boot Camp going to be aerobic enough? I think part of the key to my success has been doing cardio six days per week and I don't want to sacrifice results. Also, I've seen great results from PUB. Is there anything Cathe that is comparable. I have the CTX Series, but I don't have the Cross Train Upper Body workout.

Here is what I have:

Body Blast Series
Intensity Series
CTX Series
Pure Strength Series
Rhythmic Step
Power Hour
Circuit Max
Interval Max
Body Max
Step Works
Maximum Intensity Cardio
Maximum Intensity Strength
Power Max
Step Jam
Step Heat
Step Max
Mega Step Blast

What do you all think?

Hi! First of all, congratulations on sticking to this rotation. It sounds like a great one! My main question is, how long have you been on this rotation? From everything I've read, it sounds as though the length of time you can stay on a first rotation varies from anywhere to 6 weeks to 12 weeks. If you haven't been on this rotation for longer than that, and you are still seeing great results, I'd enjoy it for a little longer. After, you can always tweak the rotation a little, but keep the basics similar. For example, you could increase you walking time by 15 minutes, increase the intensity of your walks if you are on a treadmill by increasing the slope, and you could even do some intensity drills on several walking days. Really, your options are almost endless. As for Cathe, I love the pyramid series, and it has given me great results. Have you considered a Pure Strength rotation? It is an oldy, but a goody. I seem to be able to handle comparable weight amounts for the pyramids and pure strength. Just some suggestions. Good luck!

I know exactly where you're coming from. Please everyone, don't yell at me too much, but I've been on the same rotation for over a year now. It has worked soooo well, and everytime I try to change it I lose some fitness gains, so I always end up back on it. I've lost over 30 lbs, gained lots of strength (and still gaining), and feel so strong. I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm 46. Here's my rotation:

Sunday: Legs and Glutes (switched from Pure Strength Legs) using
very heavy weights + I Want Those Abs program 2
Monday: Circuit Max making weight segments very heavy upper body only
Tuesday: Imax
Wednesday: Muscle Endurance
Thursday: Imax2
Friday: Bootcamp
Saturday: rest

I also do a 3 mile fast walk every evening and work on pullups every other day at the park. Per Aquajock's suggestion, I now add on to every Imax and Imax2 interval. I also substitute fast jumproping for the easier intervals.

I feel so energized, better than ever. I am really tempted by P90X, but I am so afraid to abandon this rotation. I guess I'm addicted. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Is there another rotation out there that will make me feel this good? Thanks!

Randi

Hi Randi! Wow! That's some rotation. But I do understand why you've stuck with it for a year. It's just hard to give up those hard-earned muscle gains. I'm going to stick with my rotation for at least 5 more weeks, as per activegirl's suggestion. Then I'll think about mixing it up a bit, maybe alternating the current rotation with a similar one every other week. I agree that P90X is really tempting. Looking at your current rotation, I think you could probably handle it without a problem, but I don't know if I'd be up to the challenge. Good luck with your rotation. Maybe you should think about alternating your current week with another intense rotation week. Just a thought. Lynda

Lynda, I am glad to hear that you are having great results with that rotation, since it is almost exactly what I am doing right now. Only difference is on your walk days, I bike, run, or use the Erg (rowing machine.) I am seeing such results already and I just started this about a month ago. Intensity series is all I own right now, but I have plans to beg and grovel to get more (if not all) of the Cathe workouts before I'm through. I am waiting till I---like you---feel the need to change it up.
I'd do this rotation a few more weeks if you like it. You can alwasy change if and when you see yourself plateau-ing, or getting bored.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.