Substitute/Modifications - Lower Body Blast

Timber99

Cathlete
I finally did Lower Body Blast last night & liked it very much :) The part that I didn't like was the exercises that included the paper plate (or disc). I'm expecting and these just felt too unstable for me at the moment (even while using plate and holding a balance bar).

For the warrior squats I simply did them as deep as possible without the plate. It was the exercises that went to the side that I could not think of a creative modification for. I was hoping for some suggestions from this educated crowd for some substitutions and/or modifications on these exercises.

All help appreciated!

It's funny you asked this b/c I did LBB and was thinking about what I could do in place of the paper plate moves. (I don't have your issue as I'm not pregnant, but I do have a serious dread factor when it comes to paper plate moves.)

For the warrior lunges, I was thinking a static lunge w/db, keeping both legs planted, with the back leg staying straight, forcing the front leg to do all the work of raising and lowering.

For the side slide lunges, alternating side lunges w/db. IIRC, these are done in STS Plyo Legs and also S&H, in case you want to see Cathe doing them.

For the diagonal slide lunges, I was thinking a one-legged squat w/db where the working leg raises and lowers (weight in the heels, butt back like sitting in a chair) and the non-working leg is extended in front, resting lightly on the floor for balance. (I think Cathe also does these in STS???)

Not sure if you like these ideas or if they would be comfortable for you, but this is what was floating around my brain this morning during LBB. I'm curious to see what other ideas people have.

Hi Timber99- I also have some trouble with the side disk moves- especially the one that goes at an angle 2 o'clock I think is what she says. Thanks for asking this question.

Pam

Maybe a static balance on one leg at height that suits & single leg lift to the front side/angle or back, using a chair or balance bar? maybe that could work? I know the leg lifts in Kick Max for me worked well (obviously wouldn't recommend kicks..:eek:..), haven't looked at the ones in Lower Body Blast-conditioning drills, maybe you could use something from there?

Interested in what you come up with.:)

On those disc moves, remember that the moving leg is not the most active leg, and most of the weight should be on the non-moving leg. Try not going so deep into the move, then, as your balance and strength for these moves improves, go deeper.

On the rear lunges, your feet might be too close together (too close to center line), which makes balance harder. Remember to keep them about hip-width apart (sometimes, there's a tendency to bring them closer together as one leg goes forward or back).

Last edited:
Maybe a static balance on one leg at height that suits & single leg lift to the front side/angle or back, using a chair or balance bar? maybe that could work? I know the leg lifts in Kick Max for me worked well (obviously wouldn't recommend kicks..:eek:..), haven't looked at the ones in Lower Body Blast-conditioning drills, maybe you could use something from there?

Interested in what you come up with.:)

I actually used a modification similar to this yesterday in the total body workout. I used a balance bar standing vertical just to support and an ankle weight to perform side leg lifts. For rear, I got down on hands and knees and did the same. Not nearly as effective but it was all that I could come up with at the time.

On those disc moves, remember that the moving leg is not the most active leg, and most of the weight should be on the moving leg.

Kathyrn, was that a typo? I wouldn't think most of the weight is on the MOVING leg. I found that I was more stable when I focused on balancing my weight on the stationary leg and keeping the other one light and gliding. But I have only done these sliding moves a few times and am still trying to perfect them.

Kathyrn, was that a typo? I wouldn't think most of the weight is on the MOVING leg. I found that I was more stable when I focused on balancing my weight on the stationary leg and keeping the other one light and gliding. But I have only done these sliding moves a few times and am still trying to perfect them.
OOPS! Yes, it was a typo. Thanks for catching that!;)
Most of the weight should be on the NON-moving leg (I corrected my post). The moving leg just adds ROM and instability for the non-moving/stationary leg to contend with. (Putting to much weight on the moving leg, or having too much resistance on the moving leg from the wrong combo of gliding tools and surface can cause too much torque at the knee in some moves).

IMPORTANT INFO FOR PREGNANT WOMEN

Just wanted to add that during pregnancy, the hormone relaxin is present in the body (increased levels are more present as delivery day approaches). This hormone is God's way of softening the ligaments so that the baby is able to pass through the birth canal more comfortably. While this is a true blessing on delivery day (thank you God) it is not the desired situation when exercising while pregnant as this joint/ligament instability can make you more prone to injury. I would suggest replacing all the warrior lunges with another move that is easier for you. The nature of the warrior lunge (moving leg is straight and going back into full elongation) puts tremendous work load/stress on the groin/hipflexor, an area where a pregnant women is exceptionally vunerable. Kepp all lunging movements free of deep range too. Dip (always with a bent leg) just enough to feel it but not over stretch it. I hope this helps!

Congrat's Christine and please note my form pointer for pregnant women in this thread. Go easy soon to be mama!

I finally did Lower Body Blast last night & liked it very much :) The part that I didn't like was the exercises that included the paper plate (or disc). I'm expecting and these just felt too unstable for me at the moment (even while using plate and holding a balance bar).

For the warrior squats I simply did them as deep as possible without the plate. It was the exercises that went to the side that I could not think of a creative modification for. I was hoping for some suggestions from this educated crowd for some substitutions and/or modifications on these exercises.

All help appreciated!

Sorry to mention a fellow fitness competitor, but if you go to tracielongfitness.com, you will see on one of her pull down tabs that she has a small film spot dedicated to showing these paper plate lunge moves (I think on the blog section, under round house kicks and chambering), with a trainer in the studio explaining the correct positioning of feet, hand placement and where the weight should go as you lunge. Very helpful.

Clare

Congrat's Christine and please note my form pointer for pregnant women in this thread. Go easy soon to be mama!

Thanks Cathe! I have only recently been feeling the groin tenderness associated with pregnancy, thankfully. My doctor took time to suggest when and how to modify, when to ease off, etc. I saw this move, of course, just after leaving her office for my monthly checkup, so I couldn't check with her. I appreciate the advice!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.